England's number 1

Mowen
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

20 years ago, foreigners were not coming to England to play football, its a different world now, compared to then.

If the player is good enough, regardless of position, they will break into the starting XI. The current crop of English Keepers just aint good enough, especially to cope with the demands of playing for England, knowing that if you step a centremeter out of line, your international career is over due to the media looking for a scapegoat in every single game.

That's my point.  It is a different world, but keeper is a funny position.  Many players develop gradually and there is less chance of this happening now as young lads don't get the chance.  I can see where clubs are coming form (ironically I think Harper shoukld be playing ahead of krul).  I still think it is counter productive in the long term though

It would be productive in the long run, I agree there but clubs want success and want it immediatly especially since the ownership of clubs are changing hands all the time and everyone wants to win something, naturally they will buy the best, in any position, available to them, regardless of nationality.

Something I have thought about to try and get a new breed of English Keepers through, is for the FA to get some ex keeping greats in at Lilleshall (if the still run it) i.e. Schmeichel(sp?), Seaman, ect to teach these keepers how to handle modern day football and all its expectations. Im sure whoever is the coach down there now (might be Bob Wilson and/or Ray Clemence) might be good coaches, but there is more to the game now than there was, when they were playing.

I think the Stella is talking in most of these posts and I may regret posting such shite when I sobre up!!

It would be productive in the long run, I agree there but clubs want success and want it immediatly especially since the ownership of clubs are changing hands all the time and everyone wants to win something, naturally they will buy the best, in any position, available to them, regardless of nationality.

Something I have thought about to try and get a new breed of English Keepers through, is for the FA to get some ex keeping greats in at Lilleshall (if the still run it) i.e. Schmeichel(sp?), Seaman, ect to teach these keepers how to handle modern day football and all its expectations. Im sure whoever is the coach down there now (might be Bob Wilson and/or Ray Clemence) might be good coaches, but there is more to the game now than there was, when they were playing.

I think the Stella is talking in most of these posts and I may regret posting such s**** when I sobre up!!

Same here but it seems we agree our keppers are shite

Guest Stephen927

Whoever Capello sees as his number one, he needs to stick with him for an extended run of games as it's not doing these keepers any favours starting one game then being benched the next.

I'd gladly have Almunia in the team after watching the game yesterday.

Don't rate Almunia any higher than I do Green. Both average.

Yep they are all average.  None of them could complain if one of the others were first choice.

Yep. I'd probably go with Green at the moment even though he's less likely to produce some moments of brilliance than James, Kirkland, Foster etc., I also get the feeling he's less likely to cock up. Tough choice though.

I've always liked Green as a keeper, I think he's reliable and quite consistent, doesn't do anything rash to throw games as far as I've seen.

My first choices would be:

Green

James

Foster

I do also rate Foster but I think he is still relatively inexperienced, he had one or two years at Watford which is fair enough but hardly the right step up to the World Cup and since then he's played second fiddle to Van Der Sar, I'd be interested to see how many games he's actually started for Man Utd, I bet it's less than 30.