The CCC: first impressions

Keefaz

Problem is that if we do go up and Ashley is still here, we're looking at a catastrophic return. We'll make those Derby and sunderland sides look like Brazil 1970.

This is a big worry.

If we look like getting promoted he'll hang onto the club until the season's end and wait for its value to go up. Should that happen I don't see him selling up straight away to the first bidder, he'll be out to get the best deal for himself and that could drag on all summer. The simple truth is the club won't move forward until we can draw a line under this Ashley saga and that won't happen while he's still "controlling" the club. I fully expect him to leave us in a right mess sometime next August, be it in the Championship or Premiership. If that turns out to be the case then all we can do is hope the new owner has the funds to quickly build a makeshift Premier League squad and move on from there.

Right now my only concern is getting out of this division, once we've done that we can fret about how we'll survive in the Premier. I don't think it'll be as bad as some fear, the teams in the lower half of the Prem are not that good. Players like Nolan or Butt won't be able to make the step up because of the faster pace, but most of the first eleven could do a job. Obviously we'll need to spend some money and that's where we might have a problem if fatty decides to put the club up for sale again. Let's just hope someone has bought the club by then.