The CCC: first impressions

Keefaz

Guest ItalianMagpie

Everybody seems to be too confident IMO. 46 games make it a really really long season, and we are short of players (and motivation, I would add, at least in some elements).

Moreover, I hardly think that Ameobi will keep his "magic touch" for all the rest of the season (he's never been a top scorer and I guess he'll never be...), and we didn't exactly dominate home games with newly promoted Leicester and "every-year-middle-table" Sheff Wed. If we don't bring at least 3 players in I think we're going to struggle to get out of this league at the first attempt.

It'll be fun to watch this thread after we lose a few games. We're still in a f***ing s*** situation.

Even so, I still reckon I'll enjoy this season more than last. We've got 7 games in 20 days coming up I think, there's no way we'll maintain this run with our pathetic squad size.

How many players did we use in the 11 out of 11 run?

The one thing that stands out for me in this division is that when we make a defensive blunder I am fairly relaxed because the standard CCC striker will blaze the ball wide/over the bar. It's a division of mdiocre cloggers for the most part, and we're just slightly better than all of them.

The players have a lot time and space in this division, especially in midfield. Our lot, as bad as they were last year are still used to being closed down faster so they're appreciating the time to get their heads up a look for a pass.

Enjoying alot more than I thought I would but thats probably because we havent lost a match yet.I think people are being a bit naive saying the teams are shit in this divison.We have to play alot of tough games yet starting on Sunday away to Cardiff.The one think that has suprised me alot Is our players have really dug in which is credit to Chris Hughton who hasnt got enough credit on here to our brilliant start.The good thing about this divison is the refs seem to let the 50-50s go and there seems to be no diving

5 games is too early to judge.

You'd have thought Hull would be playing in Europe this year after their start last year. In fact 10 games maybe isnt enough to judge.

First impressions can be deceiving. 

Difference being everyone knew Hull were playing way above themselves, whereas we're not.

Everybody seems to be too confident IMO. 46 games make it a really really long season, and we are short of players (and motivation, I would add, at least in some elements).

Moreover, I hardly think that Ameobi will keep his "magic touch" for all the rest of the season (he's never been a top scorer and I guess he'll never be...), and we didn't exactly dominate home games with newly promoted Leicester and "every-year-middle-table" Sheff Wed. If we don't bring at least 3 players in I think we're going to struggle to get out of this league at the first attempt.

This - we haven't even started yet and people should wait until Christmas before thinking we are going to walk straight out of this league. Lots can(and will)go wrong before next May.

Unless some decent loan signings are arranged the squad will prove too small when injuries/suspensions

kick in.

It hasn't been highlighted much but we are a fairly tough side physically. We might be passing it around ok, but the fact we can mix it up in the middle of the park has meant we don't get bullied by the more direct teams. One of the reasons why I think Smith has been crucial in this division.

When injuries/suspensions start to kick in and we're dipping into the reserves/juniors thats when I think the results will start to suffer. No way is this squad big enough to cope with 46 league games plus whatever we play in the FA and League Cups. Despite us being top at present, and deservedly so, i'd be chuffed to bits if we can finish the season in the top 6. Saying that, i'm thoroughly enjoying it so far - cheaper away tickets and the atmosphere at all 3 home games so far has been the best it's been for years - the 10,000 who have stopped coming must have been the moaners  ;D

There's even a canny few of my mates who'd started drifting away from it in the past 2 or 3 seasons starting to come back and the Plymouth game will see around 12 to 15 of us in the 3 Bulls before the match when it was around 5 or 6 of us at times last season. After all would you rather spend £40 on a ticket in the Gallowgate to see us get humped  5-1 off Liverpool or £20 for the same seat to watch us play in a match we actually have a chance of winning?

You'd have thought Hull would be playing in Europe this year after their start last year. In fact 10 games maybe isnt enough to judge.

I read an analysis on the PL (think it was Finkinstein in the Times 3 or 4 years back) which claimed that 38 games, in context, wasn't a big enough sample size to adequately differentiate between the teams and that, therefore, the best team didn't always win the league. Can't remember the exact conditions he applied mind so it could have been bollocks.

When injuries/suspensions start to kick in and we're dipping into the reserves/juniors thats when I think the results will start to suffer. No way is this squad big enough to cope with 46 league games plus whatever we play in the FA and League Cups. Despite us being top at present, and deservedly so, i'd be chuffed to bits if we can finish the season in the top 6. Saying that, i'm thoroughly enjoying it so far - cheaper away tickets and the atmosphere at all 3 home games so far has been the best it's been for years - the 10,000 who have stopped coming must have been the moaners  ;D

There's even a canny few of my mates who'd started drifting away from it in the past 2 or 3 seasons starting to come back and the Plymouth game will see around 12 to 15 of us in the 3 Bulls before the match when it was around 5 or 6 of us at times last season. After all would you rather spend £40 on a ticket in the Gallowgate to see us get humped  5-1 off Liverpool or £20 for the same seat to watch us play in a match we actually have a chance of winning?

£15 for the Plymouth game according to .com. Cracking deal.

I read an analysis on the PL (think it was Finkinstein in the Times 3 or 4 years back) which claimed that 38 games, in context, wasn't a big enough sample size to adequately differentiate between the teams and that, therefore, the best team didn't always win the league. Can't remember the exact conditions he applied mind so it could have been bollocks.

Statistically that's probably right, luck/random chance will play too big a part over such a short time. Although normally Man Utd win the league, and they are usually the best team!

Difference being everyone knew Hull were playing way above themselves, whereas we're not.

Oh i think our capacity for shitness is still there, its been a great start but after last season its hard to look past the next 2-3 games.

Changes in ownership, management, injuries, sales are all potentially to come which will undoubtedly change the complexion of the team.

£15 for the Plymouth game according to .com. Cracking deal.

The £15 tickets are in Leazes Corner and Milburn Stand level 7. It's £20 in the Gallowgate and Leazes which actually works out cheaper than the standard season ticket price divided by 23 home games so they'll probably only do it for 3 or 4 games but its a cracking offer and coupled with it being at 3pm on a Saturday should see a 40,000+ crowd no bother.

Taking a few family members pre-GNR, might go for the Leazes corner to save a few pennies and get a bit more atmosphere. The only home game we haven't been on the telly for so far this season we got well in excess of 40k, would be good to see the same again for Plymouth.

just like every other team in the ccc

Chuffed to finish in the top 6? It's not like the other CCC sides have massive squads, we should be disappointed if we aren't automatic promotion favourites. We need a couple of players in on loan still to make that a probability, so if we can do that I think we'll be ok.

Taking a few family members pre-GNR, might go for the Leazes corner to save a few pennies and get a bit more atmosphere. The only home game we haven't been on the telly for so far this season we got well in excess of 40k, would be good to see the same again for Plymouth.

You're taking the family to see Guns N' Roses? Rock on.

You're taking the family to see Guns N' Roses? Rock on.

Granny loves Axl, what can I say.

Chuffed to finish in the top 6? It's not like the other CCC sides have massive squads, we should be disappointed if we aren't automatic promotion favourites. We need a couple of players in on loan still to make that a probability, so if we can do that I think we'll be ok.

Just look at the subs we brough on against Leicester. In a couple of months time they'll more than likely be starting matches because of the inevitable injuries and suspensions. I'm not saying they're bad players but they only have experience of playing reserve and junior fixtures on a regular basis in front of 1 man and his dog but we'll be relying on them to go out and get results for us at the likes of Boro and Sheff Utd. A tall order imo.