The CCC: first impressions

Keefaz

If you're taking the family up before the Plymouth game Mowen, you can come play for NOFC that morning...

Did think about it, but don't want to risk knacking myself before the run the next day (especially seeings as I've got almost £50 worth of bets with various people on the race). I'll look into it next time I'm up though.

Ah yeah, good point actually.

Guest Roger Kint

On a bigger scale the being in the Championship has been a bit of a godsend, it's allowed us to get rid of wasters who would otherwise be hard to shift if we were in the Prem,  our perfromances inthe league have galvonised fans and being in the Championship has perhaps got rid of an element of the crowd who were only interested in watching the Premiership and not Newcastle United. (20,000 supporters, the rest Customers).

I never thought I'd say this but i actually think relegation could be one of the best things to happen to this club since we appointed SBR, that is assuming we go up the first time of asking...

Thumbs up from so far.

We sold Martins, Beye, Bassong and Duff. One of those comes under the tag waster while Butt, Smith, Raylor, Colo, Nolan, Geremi all continue to drain this club of cash. This must be a day for numpties with you and rosstoon :facepalm:

I knew the gap between Premier League and CCC is quite big but never expected it to be this big! We were relegated last year and very deservedly so as we were pretty boring to watch and rarely looked any threat for opponents but this season seeing opposing fans repeateadly saying that we're easily the best team in the league for a few years and well above the quality of the others kinda surprises me. I know we're playing better or at least more like as a team despite the fact we have lost a lot of quality from the last season squad but I think it's more down to the general quality of the opponents.  It's a fact we're not going to survive next season in case we're promoted unless the team will be heavily strenghtened.

The relegation's been a blessing in disguise for us not only because of the need to reduce the wage budget but in every single way IMO. Fans expectations used to be very unrealistic in the least few seasons and we (us and the club) really needed a fresh start...

I'm not worried one bit about the current lack of depth because we're going to sign a few more players on loan. It was good to see Hughton giving a run out for the youngsters in Carling cup instead of insisting playing the very first team and I really do hope that this trend will continue in the next rounds as well. 46 league games plus the cups is just too much for this "group of lads".

It'll be fun to watch this thread after we lose a few games. We're still in a fucking shit situation.

I don't think people will start over reacting once we lose a game or 2.  It's inevitably going to happen sometime, but that doesn't mean we'll drop off the pace.

We're in a shit situation yeah, but thus far the players are making the absolute most of it and we clearly look a class above.

I've been looking forward to this season since the end of May and the last 4 games show why. The standard of opposition is absolutely horrific. If we had a bit of a pace up front and on both wings instead of just one, we'd absolutely embarrass everyone associated with this league.

The lack of quality forward players is the thing that has struck me the most.

Yeah, I agree with that. Looking at some teams, even a few of the top end teams rely on a target man to win things in the air. There aren't many "crafty" forwards in this league (someone with a similar style to Viduka, but obviously not as good), the likes of Derby, Preston, Sheff United, Leicester, Palace and a few of the other top half teams all rely upon big target men as their Plan A.

Any fear I had of this division evaporated when I took an afternoon to read through all 24 squad lists.

Work slow at the moment then? Bit of  a hiatus on the relationship front?  Weather shocking and nowt on the telly?

Yeah, I agree with that. Looking at some teams, even a few of the top end teams rely on a target man to win things in the air. There aren't many "crafty" forwards in this league (someone with a similar style to Viduka, but obviously not as good), the likes of Derby, Preston, Sheff United, Leicester, Palace and a few of the other top half teams all rely upon big target men as their Plan A.

I thought Sheff Weds for example passed it round with the speed of a lower level Premier League side but were shocking in the final third and offered next to no threat despite their steady possession.

Lets see how many Ebanks-Blake gets this year in the Premier League. I'd wager easily less than ten, yet he was top scorer in last years Championship.

That's the biggest difference I've noticed as well. The teams can't hurt you in the final third like most Premiership sides. Hence only one goal conceded in five games, and that to an ex-Premiership team.

I thought Sheff Weds for example passed it round with the speed of a lower level Premier League side but were shocking in the final third and offered next to no threat despite their steady possession.

Lets see how many Ebanks-Blake gets this year in the Premier League. I'd wager easily less than ten, yet he was top scorer in last years Championship.

With us Michael Chopra was one of the least threatening centre forwards I've seen in the Premier League, he looked like he could run round for hours on end without even getting a sniff of a chance. One summer later in the Championship he couldn't stop scoring. He did a bit better at the mackems but not much, which is why they offloaded him fast.

Any fear I had of this division evaporated when I took an afternoon to read through all 24 squad lists.

Work slow at the moment then? Bit of  a hiatus on the relationship front?  Weather shocking and nowt on the telly?

Lets see how productive you are when you're staring four months of basic training in the face then.  :angry:

Lets see how productive you are when you're staring four months of basic training in the face then.  :angry:

I wouldn't worry, you'll last about a week

Hard at work preserving your status as forum asshole, as usual.

Don't see too many people saying we're gonig to walk this league, tbh, just that the standard of the other teams is quite poor.

And we haven't even played anyone in the bottom 6 yet. I think Cardiff away is gonna be one of our toughest matches of the season - if we can win, draw or even lose by a close margin, barring injuries, I think we should definitely be top 2 this season.

You sound like Gareth from the office.  :iamatwat:

The standard is not as good as I was led to believe. People thinking we are going to walk the league will be in for a major shock starting against Cardiff I reckon. They are a team in form with some good players, enjoying their first campaign in a new stadium. A couple of key injuries and we are shite again too.

The standard is not as good as I was led to believe. People thinking we are going to walk the league will be in for a major shock starting against Cardiff I reckon. They are a team in form with some good players, enjoying their first campaign in a new stadium. A couple of key injuries and we are shite again too.

Don't get too carried away with your good start.

Guest ItalianMagpie

Don't see too many people saying we're gonig to walk this league, tbh, just that the standard of the other teams is quite poor.

And we haven't even played anyone in the bottom 6 yet. I think Cardiff away is gonna be one of our toughest matches of the season - if we can win, draw or even lose by a close margin, barring injuries, I think we should definitely be top 2 this season.

Boro and WBA (with Cardiff and Sheff Utd) are at least as competitive as we are, only with a larger roster. You need to be very constant for all the season to be in the top 2, and it won't be easy with our squad size and such good competitors in our way.

I'm enjoying it so far, but it's going to get alot tougher, and when you think at the hardest game we have had so far, we drew it, we really need to be taking the win in those games, if we did we could be 4 points clear at the top and 5 clear of the 3rd placed team, who we face next. Cardiff is going to be a very tough game, and this month is going to be tough just with the amount of games we have to play, and if we get a bad result against Cardiff, then it's going to be alot tougher, but of course if we win, then it could be a breeze.

On another note note, but still in keeping with the topic, I feel the standard of refereeing is far better, at least it is when we have a referee who hasn't been in charge of a Premiership game before.

I don't think he was you know.

:lol: Cheers for reading only the first line of my post.  O0

The one thing that stands out for me in this division is that when we make a defensive blunder I am fairly relaxed because the standard CCC striker will blaze the ball wide/over the bar. It's a division of mdiocre cloggers for the most part, and we're just slightly better than all of them.

Good point.  You see Matty Fryatt's miss against us for Leicester?  A decent Prem striker would have worked the keeper at a minimum.

The one thing that stands out for me in this division is that when we make a defensive blunder I am fairly relaxed because the standard CCC striker will blaze the ball wide/over the bar. It's a division of mdiocre cloggers for the most part, and we're just slightly better than all of them.

Good point.  You see Matty Fryatt's miss against us for Leicester?  A decent Prem striker would have worked the keeper at a minimum.

shurly that belongs in a thread not a million miles from here.