No to a Bobby Robson stand.

Guest thenorthumbrian

I'd have the East stand named after him like. Sat there for years before I moved and it needs a bit of perking up.

I understand all the arguements as to why not mind, especially the Harvey arguement. I reckon they should name a stand at Wembley after him. His footballing contribution should be represented in a stadium (other than just Prtman rd.) and then everyone in the country can say one of their stands is named after a true football legend. Fitting I reckon

Also just found this page. It won't be great reading for those asking for his memory to be put to bed after only a few months like. But its nice to remember moments from people like that when sadly they aren't around to give the to you anymore!

http://www.championshipmanager.co.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.1038

no ones asking for his memory to be put to bed but managing the club for 5 years shouldn't be enough to have a stand named after you (unless he'd won the league or similar). if so joe harvey desreves as much, in the heart jackie milburn should and keegan probably deserves more from the club than SBR. in the overall history of the club (and city for that matter) i'm surprised more has never been made of colin veitch.

Thank God Colin didn't live and play in this day and age,Mads or else there would have big trouble after Newcastle Swifts.

I'd have the East stand named after him like. Sat there for years before I moved and it needs a bit of perking up.

I understand all the arguements as to why not mind, especially the Harvey arguement. I reckon they should name a stand at Wembley after him. His footballing contribution should be represented in a stadium (other than just Prtman rd.) and then everyone in the country can say one of their stands is named after a true football legend. Fitting I reckon

Also just found this page. It won't be great reading for those asking for his memory to be put to bed after only a few months like. But its nice to remember moments from people like that when sadly they aren't around to give the to you anymore!

http://www.championshipmanager.co.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.1038

no ones asking for his memory to be put to bed but managing the club for 5 years shouldn't be enough to have a stand named after you (unless he'd won the league or similar). if so joe harvey desreves as much, in the heart jackie milburn should and keegan probably deserves more from the club than SBR. in the overall history of the club (and city for that matter) i'm surprised more has never been made of colin veitch.

Thank God Colin didn't live and play in this day and age,Mads or else there would have big trouble after Newcastle Swifts.

trouble from him or the fans wanting a club retainer kept on ?

I don't think the stands should be named after anyone at all.

Bring back the Leazes End.

Bobby did a brilliant job here and gave us our highest finish in the CL which I think was harder than winning the Fairs Cup as manager or FA Cup as a Captain, not that I'm talking those down.

I don't think the stands should be named after anyone at all.

Bring back the Leazes End.

Bobby did a brilliant job here and gave us our highest finish in the CL which I think was harder than winning the Fairs Cup as manager or FA Cup as a Captain, not that I'm talking those down.

hang on old timer....harvey played for us for years, winning things, managed us from the 2nd division and winning our klast trophy, a european one at that, against a team that many regarded as europes best at the time, all the time with a non progressive boardroom....robson took over a prem team playing below itself and finished 3rd with a boardroom who was prepared to give him decent backing.

i'm surprised at you.

hang on old timer....harvey played for us for years, winning things, managed us from the 2nd division and winning our klast trophy, a european one at that, against a team that many regarded as europes best at the time, all the time with a non progressive boardroom....robson took over a prem team playing below itself and finished 3rd with a boardroom who was prepared to give him decent backing.

i'm surprised at you.

I know what Joe Harvey did here as a player and manager and mentioned it in my post.  We were closer to the 2nd division than the CL when Bobby arrived.  He came in and had to sell to spend, his early signings were done on the cheap.  Bobby Robson was brought in to keep us up and within 3 years we were challanging for the title and CL.  If it wasn't for injuries we might have even won our first league title in over 70 years.

i'm surprised at you.

I know what Joe Harvey did here as a player and manager and mentioned it in my post.  We were closer to the 2nd division than the CL when Bobby arrived.  He came in and had to sell to spend, his early signings were done on the cheap.  Bobby Robson was brought in to keep us up and within 3 years we were challanging for the title and CL.  If it wasn't for injuries we might have even won our first league title in over 70 years.

we hadf a decent squad when he came but the previous had them totally demotivated. when i say decent i mean good enough to stop up. robson done very well but he's no keegan or harvey in my eyes.

we hadf a decent squad when he came but the previous had them totally demotivated. when i say decent i mean good enough to stop up. robson done very well but he's no keegan or harvey in my eyes.

A lot of the players Bobby inherited were injured more often than they played.  Others were sulking around like little kids and he had to lift them.  We were crap and needed major surgery to get us where we were. 

How about the "Bellamy, Vianna, past Van Wonderen, BELLAMYYY! stand".

Shocking memory.

I can't believe he got the Feyenoord player right but not the first two NUFC ones :lol:

I was talking about the goalscorers, numbnuts.

:lol: Righto.

IF Robson had come to NUFC on EITHER of the 2 occasions he was asked before he finally DID arrive, there might have been a case for naming a stand after him.

He did a good job for the first 3 years at SJP but he was well past his best when he took the job.

He was first asked in 1975 when the club were looking to replace Joe Harvey ; he was at Ipswich then and turned the job down - I can understand why in some ways, but Joe had always had more to spend than SBR did at Ipswich so the usual board argument is a bit thin in that case.

He was asked again by SJH in 1997, even though he was 64 and on the verge of the sack at Barca, but he STILL said no..

If it was either Joe or SBR, I would give the honour to Joe Harvey.

A lot of the players Bobby inherited were injured more often than they played.  Others were sulking around like little kids and he had to lift them.  We were crap and needed major surgery to get us where we were. 

gullit leaving lifted them. i personally believe any near decent manager would have kept us up thast season but we wouldn't have gone on to become as good as we did.

I haven't read the previous posts. Give him a stand ffs :lol: Why does everything have to be over complicated? Should someone write him a C.V to be nominated. He's a legend in football. A legend at the club. Give him the stand.

how many stands should we have as we've had a lot of legends, many as deserving if not more.

Apart from wondering why we should name stands after people at all, I think that if we do, it has to be a good long while after they've gone. Only then can you gauge their importance, and our memory of them, within the wider scheme of things. Sir Bobby just died. His status is debatable even now, and will he seem so important a couple of decades down the line?

In London, to get a blue plaque (which mark places where famous people lived or worked) you have to have been dead for 20 years. I think that's a sensible, sentiment-avoiding approach.

I haven't read the previous posts. Give him a stand ffs :lol: Why does everything have to be over complicated? Should someone write him a C.V to be nominated. He's a legend in football. A legend at the club. Give him the stand.

The point is other people have done greater things for us so are more deserving.

The point is other people have done greater things for us so are more deserving.

And that his career highlights were elsewhere.

Stand at Ipswich, for example, would make perfect sense.