Newcastle United vs Middlesbrough pre-match thread

Stifler

Game against Charlton was called off a few years ago iirc

Was in Head of Steam and my mam rang me as we were going down the stairs to go to the match telling me it was off, so I just shouted to my mates and everyone else who was walking down the stairs telling them, everyone turned around, went back to the bar and got pissed all day.  Was probably more entertaining than the game would have been, felt sorry for the poor fuckers who came all the way up from London though.

Went all the way down to West Ham ages ago and even got in the fuckiing ground and they called it off because of rain, said it had got into the electrics or something.  What a fucking pisser that was.

I've never understood why they cant put a huge plastic sheet over the grass if they know full well that it might snow.  I know some matches get called off because of safety concerns for spectators but snow on the pitch should not be a valid reason.

Snow on our pitch will not be a problem, we've got heating under the grass.

Will that not waterlog it though?  I thought undersoil heating was for frozen pitches, not pitches covered in snow.  They'd need to clear the snow first.

if they kept the undersoil heating on during the cold snap...if only in intermittent periods (i.e when its snowing) then no snow would accumulate on the grass!  :snod:

its not the pitch thats the problem though...its stupid idiots falling down the slippy stairs/ramps and suing the **** out of the club!!!  :angry:

if they kept the undersoil heating on during the cold snap...if only in intermittent periods (i.e when its snowing) then no snow would accumulate on the grass!  :snod:

its not the pitch thats the problem though...its stupid idiots falling down the slippy stairs/ramps and suing the **** out of the club!!!  :angry:

They've known about the weather warnings for a week now, so there's no excuse for it not to be thoroughly gritted. Thankfully it's not a nighttime game, where it would be even colder.

This country is third world when it comes to dealing with minor snow and ice.  We are discussing this issue 2 days in advance, surely NUFC and Newcastle City Council couldn't fcuk up on ensuring the approaches to the ground are gritted (HEAVILY) before 11:00am Sunday....  Oh, hang on a minute.  Probably get postponed.

www.comeonboro.com's view on our city :lol:

Even the most simple of Boro simpletons should be able to find their way up the road to our Scottish cousin’s city.

Whether we want to or not is a different matter, with Boro currently doing a mis-placed passable impression of a team that couldn’t score if they all wore Hugh Hefner smoking jackets.

Still, Christmas is a time for charidee so it’s off to Geordieland.

Play Away? Brian Cant but you can.

Column Continues Below...

Way, way back in the mists of time, long before Cheryl Cole and Joe McElderry put paid to light entertainment, Newcastle was a Roman settlement called Pons Aelius.

Translated, this means Poo, Alias.

The ‘Alias’ part of Newcastle’s original name is very important as it means the use of another name to conceal an identity. Or, as an adverb, another place, another time, another circumstance. Or, in other words, completely and utterly deluded. Poo Alias indeed.

The city has had many delusions of grandeur since its first Roman name. It became a large settlement for the first monks, who, in a non-verbal way of communicating their brotherhood, shaved off their hair and gorged on fatty products. One look at the city centre and you can see this tradition continues. And that’s just the womenfolk.

Whilst the rest of the country was dying of the Bubonic Plague, Newcattle, as it was now called, thought they could do better and invented the Bubonic Plaque, a completely made-up disease that meant you had to pull out all your teeth and flash your gums. One look at the city centre and you can see this tradition continues. And that’s just the womenfolk.

The rest of the country became scared of the Bubonic Plaque, seeing it as a bigger threat than the plague. In doing so, some clever folk invented toothpaste, something that never really caught on in Tyneside. Ignoring fluoride based products, they got themselves a motto of "Fortiter Defendit Triumphans" ("Triumphing by a brave defence"). One look at the city centre and you can see that this tradition continues. And that’s just the womenfolk. And ex-Geordie, Titus Bramble.

Back at the start of the 18th century, Lord Wor Kevin of Keegan decried Noocassle, as it was then called, to be declared the greatest thing ever on the entire planet, despite any evidence of it being such. One look at the city centre today can see that this tradition continues, to the point where the nicest thing about the city is Kevin Nolan’s Mam’s norks. And that’s just the Loose Women folk.

Still, Strachan will be looking to avoid adding @jobcentre to the start of his name on the Compass Royston home.

....and a not very confident match preview!

BORO EYE VIEW

Boro find themselves heading to hostile territory in less than ideal conditions.

The players and staff will need a good week of preparation for what may be a harsh and revealing test of their promotion chasing credentials.

A magnificent win at QPR was closely followed by a crash-back-down-to-earth battering at the hands of Blackpool, then a hard fought loss to a quality Cardiff side.

Column Continues Below...

It appears that without Gary O’Neil, Boro are not a top notch team in this division, and his presence and level of play have seemed to coincide with the best performances of the season.

Boro will look to exhibit some steel and come away from St James' Park with at least a point. This is a task that will be far from easy.

Flashback fans will enjoy this clip of the match on Boxing Day 1991. Just where were those Geordie centre-backs when Paul Wilkinson races clear from the halfway line (yes you read that right!)?

NEWCASTLE EYE VIEW

Newcastle will be quietly pleased with themselves.

During pre-season, they were written off as a club in disarray. A shambles of a first team, with players heading for the exit door in their numbers, an incompetent owner and a financial disaster waiting to happen, a Leeds United type freefall from grace was predicted by some.

However, the truth has been far from the case.

Newcastle have bounced back from the disappointment of relegation with a strong showing and a positive team spirit that has lead to manager Chris Hughton receiving a lot of praise.

Amid all the media hoopla and furore, he has quietly hit the training field every day, meshed a team together, and produced a strong set of results.

The Geordies will look forward to extending their unbeaten home record in a clash with their local rivals.

HEAD TO HEAD

Goalkeepers

Boro – Brad Jones has had his doubters and the Cardiff game certainly gives them more ammunition.

The goal from Cardiff was schoolboy stuff and the rule of coaching is that all communication at the back starts with the keeper. A goalkeeper who tells clearly, loudly and early whether he is coming to claim a ball enables his defenders to make better decisions.

The goal showed hesitance, doubt and a lack of communication, none of which reflect well on Jones.

He is an athletic shot stopper, but it seems that he is a way off being a top level goalkeeper and leader right now. This is something that is not helped by the relative youth of the Boro centre-back pairing.

Newcastle – Having signed for Newcastle way back in 1998, Harper has spent a long time on the bench but still managed to rack up over 100 games for the club.

He was rewarded for his loyalty and given the starting job when the outstanding Shay Given left for Manchester City.

Harper played in an FA Cup final against Manchester United in 1999.

Edge: Newcastle. Harper has earned the number one jersey the hard way and is staking a claim to keep it going, possibly in the Premier League.

Boro Defence v Newcastle Attack

Boro – A terrible performance against Blackpool was followed up by conceding a true horror goal to decide the Cardiff game.

Many teams talk about having the ability to play badly and win, and to grind out results over 90 minutes of attrition. This Middlesbrough side is not showing that ability, and the back line is playing a part in that.

Republic of Ireland international Sean St Ledger is forced to sit out the next three games due to his loan deal rules, and it will be very interesting to see the effect this has. His partnership with Wheater has certainly been inconsistent.

Even more interesting will be what happens should the defence perform well in his absence. Pogatetz is very capable of moving to centre-back, which is his best position, and he would lend more experience in the heart of the back line.

Newcastle – Shola Ameobi is another long time club servant who has spent his share of time on the bench.

Since making his Newcastle debut in 2000, Ameobi has worked away at gaining a starting spot. This spell has included a loan move to Stoke City.

This season has been Ameobi’s best for the Geordies with a total of six goals scored, including a hat-trick against Reading. This will no doubt thrill Dave of Setanta Sports phone–in fame.

Local lad and Academy product Andrew Carroll has four goals and adds a physical presence up front.

Also having scored four goals is Marlon Harewood, who is on loan from Premiership Aston Villa. Harewood is a real physical presence who is a handful for defenders. He could be dominant at Championship level.

England international Alan Smith is the experienced head in the Newcastle attack, with 19 England caps and a wealth of Premier League and Champions League experience with Leeds United and Manchester United. Smith has excelled at the game's highest levels.

During his Manchester United spell, Smith also showed the ability to play in central midfield, making him an excellent player to have in the squad.

Edge: Newcastle. Boro are lacking consistency at the back and Newcastle have pace and power in abundance.

Midfield

Boro – Boro have a fairly long injury list but the two names on it that send chills up the spines of fans are Gary O’Neil and Adam Johnson.

These two have, without doubt, been Boro’s best performers this season and the thought of lining up without them at St James’ Park is a worrying one.

O’Neil produced the performance of the season at QPR and his all-action style gives him the ability to really impose his will on the opposition.

Johnson is a truly dynamic attacker and has at times terrorised the opposition and created goals single handedly.

The only more worrying prospect is to lose either or both in January as what would that leave us?

Digard and Bates also have long term injuries so options in centre midfield are looking worryingly thin.

Julio Arca has a lot of ability on the ball, but his lack of athleticism could be cruelly punished by Newcastle. Meanwhile, Rhys Williams lends talent but he has little experience.

Strachan may choose to field a midfield five with the options available, at risk of losing the game in this area. Only the return of O’Neil would lift the spirits or even the odds.

Out wide, Mark Yeates has been performing well of late and speedy yet fragile Marvin Emnes could be given a run. This would give Middlesbrough the ability to take on the full-backs and get in behind the Geordies.

Newcastle – Newcastle are very good in midfield. They are energetic and intelligent in the centre, and have pace and flair out wide.

Seeing Boro pack in a defensive midfielder would not at all be a surprise.

Shorn of O’Neil, Boro could struggle against the gritty pairing of Kevin Nolan and Nicky Butt.

Nolan is an England Under-21 international, having made his name as a tough tackling and goal scoring midfielder with the successful Bolton sides of Sam Allardyce.

Nolan was club captain when Bolton embarked on their 2006 UEFA Cup campaign. He has netted 10 goals so far this season and the BBC website this week contains a feature arguing that he may be the best player in the entire league.

Nicky Butt has won just about every honour in the English game. He began his career with Manchester United as a part of the ‘Fergie’s Fledglings’ generation that included David Beckham, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs.

Butt’s glittering Manchester United career ended in 2004 when he signed for Newcastle.

Nicky played in 269 games for Manchester United, winning five Premier League winners medals, three FA Cup winners medals, as well as a Champions League winners medal.

Butt also played in the 2002 World Cup for England and was “the best player in the tournament” in the opinion of the great Pele. If Boro lack experience, Butt may brutally expose it.

Another option in midfield is Danny Guthrie, a Liverpool Academy product and England Youth international. While not lacking in ability, Guthrie has less experience and has shown a streak of petulance in the past. This could be a chink in the armour of the Newcastle midfield.

Out wide, Newcastle have a range of attacking options that include Jonas Gutierrez, Fabrice Pancrate, and one time Boro loan target, Peter Lovenkrands.

Gutierrez has 11 Argentina caps and won a 2005 Primera Division title in Argentina before moving to Spain. Signed by Kevin Keegan in 2008, Gutierrez is full of tricks.

Frenchman Pancrate is a pacey winger who began his career with Paris St Germain. A recent addition to the squad, he signed on loan last month and scored his first goal in a 2-0 home win over Watford.

Danish international Lovenkrands is capable of playing either on the wing or as a forward. Lovenkrands was once targeted as a loan signing by former Boro manager Steve McClaren and will be a familiar name to many.

Edge: Newcastle. An injury hit Boro unit has a real challenge on its hands. The Newcastle midfield is full of top division and international experience.

Boro Attack v Newcastle Defence

Boro – Dave Kitson has been a real boost and a welcome addition to the Boro front line. He will look to use his physical presence as an outlet for Boro, as well as a scoring threat. The ability to hold up the ball and allow Boro to keep possession in the Newcastle half will be important in such a hostile atmosphere.

Kitson will be joined up front by either the pace of Leroy Lita or the physical presence of Marcus Bent, who started the last game against Cardiff.

The Boro strikers will need to finish what chances they do get, both to give Boro a foothold in the game and to take the air out of a hostile home crowd.

Newcastle – Newcastle’s preferred centre-back pairing is Fabricio Coloccini and Steven Taylor.

Coloccini has 30 caps for Argentina and is the winner of an Olympic Gold Medal after featuring in a team that included Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano. Coloccini is a real physical battler and is willing to get into a dog fight if necessary. Kitson will have a real battle on his hands all afternoon.

Taylor is a quality defender as well as a threat at set pieces when attacking. He was called up to the full England squad in 2007 but did not play. A true leader, Steven has captained England at Under 16, Under 17 and Under 21 level.

Sanchez Jose Enrique is a Spanish Under-21 left-back, who was signed for £6.3million in 2007. A solid defender, he has pace and is capable of overlapping and providing dangerous crosses from the left. This is something that Boro must be aware of.

Ryan Taylor is an England Under-21 international who is a real danger from direct free kicks, having scored two goals already this season.

Other defensive options include Premier League loan signings Danny Simpson (Manchester United) and commentator’s nightmare Zurab Khizanishvili (all the best pronouncing that) from Blackburn Rovers.

Edge: Newcastle. An experienced back line has leaked only four home goals so far this season.

Fans

Boro – The doubters are emerging already, and a fan base that is struggling to cope with the reality of relegation not being a cruise back to the Premier League is starting to fracture. A vocal following will make the short trip north hoping to see an against-the-odds Boro win.

Newcastle – Known for their passion and noise, the Toon Army will pack the stadium and attempt to roar their team on to a derby win.

Edge: Newcastle. A large, vocal and partisan crowd will welcome Boro into a hostile atmosphere.

Prediction

Newcastle win. Boro desperately need a win, but it will likely not come here as Newcastle look to stay top of the league.

I've never understood why they cant put a huge plastic sheet over the grass if they know full well that it might snow.  I know some matches get called off because of safety concerns for spectators but snow on the pitch should not be a valid reason.

Will that not waterlog it though?  I thought undersoil heating was for frozen pitches, not pitches covered in snow.  They'd need to clear the snow first.

They had those Sun lamp things on full blast and the floodlights partially on when i came home at 6 o clock.

They had those Sun lamp things on full blast and the floodlights partially on when i came home at 6 o clock.

I have few concerns that the pitch will be ok. It's the approaches to the stadium that are the concern.

Guest Haris Vuckic

"England international Alan Smith is the experienced head in the Newcastle attack"

:mackems:

They are making excuses already  ;D

i can't remember the last game postponed at SJP because of the pitch.

If this was on Smogside, then it would be called off, I mean Boro do it everytime they have a hard game, plenty of injuries etc and their is even a hint of snow on the ground. Hopefully NCC workers will be out gritting the roads and paths tonight and tomorrow.

Guest Heneage

If this was on Smogside, then it would be called off, I mean Boro do it everytime they have a hard game, plenty of injuries etc and their is even a hint of snow on the ground. Hopefully NCC workers will be out gritting the roads and paths tonight and tomorrow.

The roads were alright today to be honest.

more to the point will the club employ people to clear the steps etc leading to the ground itself.

Yes but the snow fall is expected to be be tonight, tomorrow, and tomorrow night. I'm sure tonights snow, and most of tomorrow's will of melted just by people passing by, and using the roads and paths, it's the snow later on tomorrow and tomorrow night that is the worry, don't forget that it's a 1pm kickoff, so looking at that, the snow needs to be reasonably clear by 9am on Sunday morning.

I have no concerns about the pitch though, the covers should be on and the undersoil heating aswell, I'd be surprised if it was called of because of the pitch.

Guest Heneage

Yes but the snow fall is expected to be be tonight, tomorrow, and tomorrow night. I'm sure tonights snow, and most of tomorrow's will of melted just by people passing by, and using the roads and paths, it's the snow later on tomorrow and tomorrow night that is the worry, don't forget that it's a 1pm kickoff, so looking at that, the snow needs to be reasonably clear by 9am on Sunday morning.

I have no concerns about the pitch though, the covers should be on and the undersoil heating aswell, I'd be surprised if it was called of because of the pitch.

Aye but I'm saying bit of grit down tonight, bit more tomorrow, and with it being weekend before Christmas there'll be loads of foot traffic getting rid of the snowon the pavement, and buses/cars helping clear the roads.

Aye but I'm saying bit of grit down tonight, bit more tomorrow, and with it being weekend before Christmas there'll be loads of foot traffic getting rid of the pavement on the snow, and buses/cars helping clear the roads.

Hopefully, I was their that time the charlton game was called off, and coming in from North Tyneside all the roads and path's were clear because the gritters had been out, then I crossed over into the area run by NCC and their had been little or no gritters sent out, so the city centre was frozen, and the game was called off, despite it taking me an hour to get to the stadium.

Guest Haris Vuckic

The online Box office closes at like 12.

It's open again now, however we could still be looking at 52k depending on how many the smogmonsters bring.