Real Madrid weigh up bid for Fabricio Coloccini

Thespence

we should keep him unless we can get 8 mill plus or so, and have good replacement set up. He will be important next year! Cant see us finding a replacement as good as him. Colo and taylors partnership could be very important for us next year!

Another chance in the Premier League with this guy?  Didn't we learn anything.. and i simply don't buy this  'no protection from midfield nonsense' as Bassong in his first year in England was very comfortable in the vast majority of games here...  whilst the Argentine international .. well just look at his Liverpool home performance.  Couldn't give a f***.

Do you think Taylor should be given another chance. Chance number 6 in the premier league to be exact?

we should keep him unless we can get 8 mill plus or so, and have good replacement set up. He will be important next year! Cant see us finding a replacement as good as him. Colo and taylors partnership could be very important for us next year!

Another chance in the Premier League with this guy?  Didn't we learn anything.. and i simply don't buy this  'no protection from midfield nonsense' as Bassong in his first year in England was very comfortable in the vast majority of games here...  whilst the Argentine international .. well just look at his Liverpool home performance.  Couldn't give a f***.

Do you think Taylor should be given another chance. Chance number 6 in the premier league to be exact?

Bassong was good but not as good as you'd like us to think. Sent-off twice, once catastrophically for us. Bassong's pace gave him a get-out; personally I'd like them both to be here but hey...

I quite like Taylor, his season that year was pretty decent scored some vital goals and did a good job at right back when he needed to fill in.  He will be a really important player next year imo.

My post didn't mention that guy anyway, just the inadequacies in Colo's game that will be totally exposed in the Premier League.. once again.  Also pointed out that the excuse  'its the midfield its not Colo' is actually hilarious when you consider that Bassong did amazingly well.. behind the very same people.

Bassong also had a few terrible games AND had exactly the same trouble Colo had because of the invisible midfield. Namely players running at him, Bassong though either outpaced them or pulled them to the ground.

Why cant the 10 million signing cope with players running at him?  But a 500k signing can??  This is what i mean, his lack of pace/strength will be exposed once again.

Our midfield isn't going to be stronger that that year, so if you believe its the fault of midfield, how the hell can he be given another chance when we are back up.  When the team is weaker.

Bassong had his bad games aswell. He was better than Colo but then he's quicker and stronger, you'd expect him to deal better with players running at him. We need to get Colo the right partner because like it or not he's our best central defender, by a distance.

Bassong had his bad games aswell. He was better than Colo but then he's quicker and stronger, you'd expect him to deal better with players running at him. We need to get Colo the right partner because like it or not he's our best central defender, by a distance.

How you think he'd perform in the PL next season if we go up?

For the Championship i would agree, as his reading of the game is better and standard/tempo is so much lower. 

In the Premier League though..  :nope:  it's not enough. 

Fine, he's still got that latin style of defending where he gets very loose on his man and tries to intercept instead of jostle at times but I think he'll be fine as long as maintains the aggressive streak and continues to adapt his game.

Guest Heneage

DCMK, how do you explain Sol Campbell being in the Premier League despite his lack of pace?

Depends on the midfield really. The fact is still there, our midfield bar maybe Smith provides little cover, Jonas helps Jose out, but through the middle we have one man trying to do 2 mens work. The best teams are teams that move together as one unit.

DCMK, how do you explain Sol Campbell being in the Premier League despite his lack of pace?

Depends on the midfield really. The fact is still there, our midfield bar maybe Smith provides little cover, Jonas helps Jose out, but through the middle we have one man trying to do 2 mens work. The best teams are teams that move together as one unit.

Strength, good positioning, experience.

How can Colo be compared to Campbell anyway?

Guest Heneage

The reading of the game, if you can read a game well it CAN allow for a lack of pace , Fabio Cannavaro proved that. I have hope for Coloccini, people forget Vidic and Evra took time to settle.

I have my doubts about Coloccini but he is pissing this league and I think of Vidic who took six months to settle in an outstanding team (which luxury wasn't afforded to Colo, not that he's equivalent). On balance he'll cope.

The reading of the game, if you can read a game well it CAN allow for a lack of pace , Fabio Cannavaro proved that. I have hope for Coloccini, people forget Vidic and Evra took time to settle.

He played 38 games.  He is doing well in the Championship now though.. lets all delude ourselves that his flaws wont be exposed in that league again.

Fine, he's still got that latin style of defending where he gets very loose on his man and tries to intercept instead of jostle at times but I think he'll be fine as long as maintains the aggressive streak and continues to adapt his game.

The aggressive streak that made him close down Sheff Wed's first goal?

Guest Heneage

He played 38 games.  He is doing well in the Championship now though.. lets all delude ourselves that his flaws wont be exposed in that league again.

So what you get one season to adjust and that's it? Keep deluding yourself to the team's flaws then. A midfield that even now isn't the best in this league, a CB partner who himself was no experienced head or bastient of defensive strength, and another one who didn't speak the same language as him and had just moved from France himself. 4 managers in your first season, a club that was in the papers every day for off field troubles and you wonder why he didn't settle, come on man be sensible.

So what you get one season to adjust and that's it? Keep deluding yourself to the team's flaws then. A midfield that even now isn't the best in this league, a CB partner who himself was no experienced head or bastient of defensive strength, and another one who didn't speak the same language as him and had just moved from France himself. 4 managers in your first season, a club that was in the papers every day for off field troubles and you wonder why he didn't settle, come on man be sensible.

Bassong managed to be a success, 1st season, not played much football in his career.  Playing behind that midfield, with a partner who couldn't speak the same language.  4 managers in your first season, a club that was in the papers every day for off field troubles .. but Bassong amazingly did excel here.

Biggest difference was - he had pace and a bit of strength about him.  Why couldn't our Argentine international perform as well..  i see 'midfield' again and not settling?  Maybe its because important attributes to his game were not up to scratch - but it couldn't be as simple as that, right? 

Since he is doing so well now.

That was Jonas who didn't close down.

Coloccini hesitated when he realised Jonas hadn't done his job. If he was as 'aggressive' as you say as he had already snuffed out the danger he would have went to close the ball down and not pointed at Jonas and just stood there waiting.

Both of them could have, neither did.

Coloccini hesitated when he realised Jonas hadn't done his job. If he was as 'aggressive' as you say as he had already snuffed out the danger he would have went to close the ball down and not pointed at Jonas and just stood there waiting.

Against Derby he rushed out and got done, leaving his man free for a decent chance.

I've alluded to this in other posts, he has the spanish habit of trying to intercept. Mostly it works, on that occassion it clearly didn't. But the goal was by no mean his fault.

I never said it was.