The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why are you skirting past an Away win at Goodison and a 6-0 thrashing of Aston Villa? Is it only the negative results that count for anything?

Because they were basically 6 pointers against fellow potential strugglers - AND at SJP too.

precisely, if they were away games then at least you'd have the fallback of bringing them home to try and even the scores, now we have to do that at their place which relies on our away form holding true

Why are you skirting past an Away win at Goodison and a 6-0 thrashing of Aston Villa? Is it only the negative results that count for anything?

Because they were basically 6 pointers against fellow potential strugglers - AND at SJP too.

It's annoying/frustrating because of that, but nothing more, we've still got the same job to do and we're still on course to do it. Annoyance is to be expected, but even the slightest sack murmurs are ridiculously over the top.

i NEVER said sack him man

It's annoying/frustrating because of that, but nothing more, we've still got the same job to do and we're still on course to do it. Annoyance is to be expected, but even the slightest sack murmurs are ridiculously over the top.

It seems to me that you want to start discussing it this early in the season...  therefore, murmurs.

Eventually we have to strike a balance between "he's a nice guy, inexperienced, give him time, steadily building.." and "he just isn't good enough". But thats a long way away yet. Certainly shouldn't be discussing it this soon into the season, the last thing we need is to get the managerial merry-go-round set into motion.

just can't agree with that, we've dropped 8 points to 2 relegation rivals + Stoke at home and there appear to be few signs of improvement...fucked if i'm putting my head in the sand

It seems to me that you want to start discussing it this early in the season...  therefore, murmurs.

Eventually we have to strike a balance between "he's a nice guy, inexperienced, give him time, steadily building.." and "he just isn't good enough". But thats a long way away yet. Certainly shouldn't be discussing it this soon into the season, the last thing we need is to get the managerial merry-go-round set into motion.

just can't agree with that, we've dropped 8 points to 2 relegation rivals + Stoke at home and there appear to be few signs of improvement...fucked if i'm putting my head in the sand

people need to stop crying about Ben Arfa, Hughton's job is to find another solution and right now he isn't doing it

before people start i'm not saying sack him but there's nothing wrong with starting to question him at this stage imo

you missed a bit there, thought i'd help you out

people need to stop crying about Ben Arfa, Hughton's job is to find another solution and right now he isn't doing it

before people start i'm not saying sack him but there's nothing wrong with starting to question him at this stage imo

you missed a bit there, thought i'd help you out

Ok well as far as I was concerned, the fact that you're questioning his position is much the same thing, but if you've no particular sack thoughts then we have no beef. My point still stands regarding the "6 pointer" cliche being implemented after 2 losses against teams who we predict may be in the mix come April '11. We should concentrate on the job of getting x amount of points, that's all. Negativity about the position over 2 disappointing losses will soon turn into shitloads of paper nonsense and he'll be out the door before you know it. And then Joe Kinnear will come back, and then we'll really be fucked.

also please type what your point is cos it's a bastard trying to work out what you're trying to say on the WAP site :lol:

Ok well as far as I was concerned, the fact that you're questioning his position is much the same thing, but if you've no particular sack thoughts then we have no beef. My point still stands regarding the "6 pointer" cliche being implemented after 2 losses against teams who we predict may be in the mix come April '11. We should concentrate on the job of getting x amount of points, that's all. Negativity about the position over 2 disappointing losses will soon turn into shitloads of paper nonsense and he'll be out the door before you know it. And then Joe Kinnear will come back, and then we'll really be fucked.

also please type what your point is cos it's a bastard trying to work out what you're trying to say on the WAP site :lol:

there's a WAP site?  fuck my life might be over...to be fair i did make my point early on, you just missed it :thup:

and what you said about kinnear made me fucking shudder :)

EDIT: you just mean accessing through WAP right, there's not an actual NO app or anything stupid like that that might ruin my life?

The problem is that the more 'easy' home games that go by without us picking up 3 points, the more likely it becomes that we'll have to pick up points in some of the more difficult games in order to stay up.

I'd rather not go into a game against a team in the top 6 knowing we have to win to stay up.

Guest Brazilianbob

These rumours about sacking Hughton have come from some journo seeing that NUFC were advertising for someone with managerial/coaching experience to replace Calderwood and has put two and two together and come up with five, i.e. Hughton must be getting the sack.  Lazy lazy journalism no more no less!

The home form has got me scared shitless.

With the players we've got, there's no wonder we're better away from home. Pack the midfield with a bunch of terriers, stifle the opposition, pop up with a fleeting attack. We're not blessed with great footballers in the middle of the park, but there's bags of stamina there - and that suits the away game. Fortunately, we've been taking our chances away from SJP n'all - which is a nice change. That could change any minute, given our lack of firepower, but we're doing okay so far. Bollocks refereeing aside, it was only a touch of genuine quality that saw us get beat at Man City... that'll just happen at them places. We played well as a team and it'll probably continue if we play the same system.

It's just another kettle of fish at home, though - the system just won't work. It's not a set-up that'll probe and press in this league - we don't have anything like the flair or attacking prowess. Hughton's made some gash decisions with regards to substitutions... but simply being a well-drilled bunch of battlers (can't knock anyone's attitude) isn't enough to take teams apart on our own turf. Revert to 4-4-2, absolutely, but then you're left with limited players to fill the void - ie Lovenkrands.

The quality in the squad, from an attacking point of view, is rubbish - and that's why we're not winning games at home. Hughton's mad bad decisions here and there, but it's merely emphasised by the fact he's got shit-all to work with. If we go down, it'll be primarily down to Mike Ashley and Nigel De Jong, not Hughton. The last thing i would do is sack the guy. Last thing.

Shola has to play full-stop. I'd have Hughton get him on an intense fitness regime. I know he's a good few years older than him... but Carroll's a big lad and he's improved his pace and stamina. It's not too late for Shola. He's going to be an important player this year and we need him as fit as a fiddle.

With the players we've got, there's no wonder we're better away from home. Pack the midfield with a bunch of terriers, stifle the opposition, pop up with a fleeting attack. We're not blessed with great footballers in the middle of the park, but there's bags of stamina there - and that suits the away game. Fortunately, we've been taking our chances away from SJP n'all - which is a nice change. That could change any minute, given our lack of firepower, but we're doing okay so far. Bollocks refereeing aside, it was only a touch of genuine quality that saw us get beat at Man City... that'll just happen at them places. We played well as a team and it'll probably continue if we play the same system.

It's just another kettle of fish at home, though - the system just won't work. It's not a set-up that'll probe and press in this league - we don't have anything like the flair or attacking prowess. Hughton's made some gash decisions with regards to substitutions... but simply being a well-drilled bunch of battlers (can't knock anyone's attitude) isn't enough to take teams apart on our own turf. Revert to 4-4-2, absolutely, but then you're left with limited players to fill the void - ie Lovenkrands.

The quality in the squad, from an attacking point of view, is rubbish - and that's why we're not winning games at home. Hughton's mad bad decisions here and there, but it's merely emphasised by the fact he's got s***-all to work with. If we go down, it'll be primarily down to Mike Ashley and Nigel De Jong, not Hughton. The last thing i would do is sack the guy. Last thing.

It is NOT the last thing anyone should do to sack the manager...where do you think NUFC would have finished up in 1992 if they had continued with Ardiles instead of bringing KK in ? They would have ended up

in Div 3. that's where..we CANNOT afford relegation again.

There is no purpose in firing the manager if you can't get someone better - but if you can, then you should - not only that, but as a director/owner, it is your DUTY to do just that.

You are living in fantasy land - if Hughton cannot be replaced by a better manager, then he should stay ; if he gets the club relegated, then we might all as well go home because the message is that nobody better will take on the job. That also applies if Ashley intends to stay as owner and not invest, even if a new guy was appointed. Yes, Hughton has had his hands tied on transfers but those were the terms on which he accepted the job ; failure to win crucial home games against potential fellow strugglers will get him the sack...end of story.

Guest Stephen927

The situation now is a hell of a lot different than it was when Ardiles was boss. We're not in a position to offer anybody the kind of money Keegan was given to spend, and everybody else is spending that kind of money too.

The quality in the squad, from an attacking point of view, is rubbish - and that's why we're not winning games at home. Hughton's mad bad decisions here and there, but it's merely emphasised by the fact he's got s***-all to work with. If we go down, it'll be primarily down to Mike Ashley and Nigel De Jong, not Hughton. The last thing i would do is sack the guy. Last thing.

It is NOT the last thing anyone should do to sack the manager...where do you think NUFC would have finished up in 1992 if they had continued with Ardiles instead of bringing KK in ? They would have ended up

There is no purpose in firing the manager if you can't get someone better - but if you can, then you should - not only that, but as a director/owner, it is your DUTY to do just that.

You are living in fantasy land - if Hughton cannot be replaced by a better manager, then he should stay ; if he gets the club relegated, then we might all as well go home because the message is that nobody better will take on the job. That also applies if Ashley intends to stay as owner and not invest, even if a new guy was appointed. Yes, Hughton has had his hands tied on transfers but those were the terms on which he accepted the job ; failure to win crucial home games against potential fellow strugglers will get him the sack...end of story.

I'm speaking on the basis that he wouldn't be. Sacking Hughton is absolute worst case scenario. If we're bottom at Christmas we should probably consider it.

is sacking a manager a handful of games into the season bad timing though

is sacking a manager a handful of games into the season bad timing though

If you're top of the league and playing well, yes. If you're bottom of the league and playing shit, no.

we're somewhere in the middle at the moment

Lets be honest here, if Hughton was to be sacked it would be a nighmare as I dont think anyone of repute would want to work for Ashley, he offers peanuts wages and wont invest in the squad. It would be either be someone of Kinnear's ilk, or going cap in hand forlornly back for Shearer and quite frankly both of those options are no better than CH.

http://blog.andrewparker.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/hammernail.jpg

Jol and O'Neil :lol: :lol:

If we are to sack Hughton at somepoint this season we'll be attracting managers of Joe Kinnears calibre. At a push, maybe Phil Brown. Anyone who thinks otherwise is moronic.

Anyone who thinks we should keep Hughton just because changing manager isn't good is moronic.

Putting Hughton aside for a minute, whether it's June 12th or January 1st, if it manager isn't right for a job then the owner should sack him - this 'oh we never keep a manager' stuff is bollocks. I'd rather change manager three times in a season then go down the wrong path with one guy who isn't good enough. 

Ok then, who'd you replace him with if it came to that?

It's not just a case of 'the manager isnt good enough, the manager is out of his depth so we'll sack him' You've got to think about the next step; replacements and weather those replacements would be out of their depth and woul they do a better job than wat Hughton's doing. I'm pretty much sure whatever goon ashley was to replace him with, would be even worse.

(oh and all this talk about Jol and O'Neil? f***ing laughable. As if they'd ever consider workng under Ashley man)