Mike Williamson (now managing MK Dons)

Ritchie

Players on the bench will get their chances when starting players play consistently poor. Sure Williamson made a bad mistake tonight that cost us a goal, but other than that, he has been great for the most part.

Poor game littered with cock-ups, much like the Wigan one. I got slated for comparing him to Bramble a while back but he's the one player i'd stick him in the same category as. He's steady and reliable 80% of the time and when he's comfortable, he looks really comfortable. He's prone to individual error though, especially at home.

I'd still stick with him in the long-run though - without a doubt. He, along with others, are bound to need a rest on Saturday though.

I think he's the opposite to Titus in many ways.

Williamson's best attribute is his consistently. He's steady, a bit like Aaron Hughes before he stepped it up for Fulham.

Ultimately not the answer, but he'll do for now, preferably as backup.

With Titus it was lack of concentration and intelligence. With Williamson i can't help but think he's a little bit out of his depth starting every single game for a PL club with mid-table aspirations.

Case in point; the ball was knocked towards him on the near-side on about 70 minutes last night. He could have taken a touch and passed up sideways or knocked it long. Instead, he swiped it out of play. He knows his limitations, so did Scott Parker. Parker got early praise for getting the basics right and demonstrating consistency in a position that was crying out for it.

In time, we turned on Parker and his sideways passing, just like Williamson will eventually be criticised for his complete lack of pace and ability with the ball. And he'll make mistakes leading to goals, simply because his best attributes aren't actually that great.

I wish people on here would keep it real, keep it fair. I like the lad. He's ok, he'll make a fair few mistakes - as average defenders generally do. Sol Campbell just might be the better option, let's see.

I'd have Campbell in for the Fulham game anyway, like i say, purely for fitness reasons. If Sol performs amazingly well i'd keep him in the side, but Willicini has done admirably for the majority of the season and, in spite of tonight, i still don't see a burning need to break up the partnership.

I agree with Ronaldo too.

I'm pleased with Williamson but he does make a few mistakes which fans have given him the benefit of the doubt for. As I just mentioned in the home form thread we have conceded two goals in 4 of our 6 home games - it's not good enough, we can't be needing 3 goals to win all the time. Perch can't be a scapegoat any more.

Coloccini for my money is a better defender and all round player than Williamson. I would like to see Taylor or Campbell given a chance alongside him. I'd give Campbell a go, as I think he'll be a better organiser and Taylor can provide competition with Simpson at right back.

The truth is we are conceding sloppy goals and we can't keep saying "he's steady, done nowt wrong" when we concede two at home every week. I'm not singling Williamson out but I think we may have better options on the bench.

Well, i don't want to jump on him because of the goal last night. He was waiting to see what would happen with Colo and then had to make a jump from standing and lost out. Not great but Colo was the cause of the problem, that's just the plain and simple fact of the matter. Neither Williamson nor Krul did anything out of the ordinary to save the situation and so they scored.

I like Williamson because he's normally fairly sound positioning wise, hasn't got much pace, isn't as strong as i expected given his height. I think he's a bit of an opposite to Steven Taylor actually, who has a better turn of pace and would of probably beaten Roberts to the ball yesterday. However, STaylor isn't so hot positionally, especially when the ball goes wide and Williamson often keeps a better body shape, on the turn, giving himself options.

Still very happy with Williamson, he's more than worth his price. Last night was just one of those things.

He made one error really. He got done by the same long ball Colo failed to deal with, the pair of them need to take responsibility. I thought he was pretty decent in the air last which is where the main threat came from. He was limited on the ball but then we known that for a while.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I think he's the opposite to Titus in many ways.

Williamson's best attribute is his consistently. He's steady, a bit like Aaron Hughes before he stepped it up for Fulham.

Ultimately not the answer, but he'll do for now, preferably as backup.

:thup:

Good comparison, I agree, he has his limitations and he knows them- He will work his best to be a steady defender, although little more.

Guest johnson293

Had to turn Total Sport off tonight on my way home - someone phoned in stating that Williamson was rubbish, and has been rubbish all season.

Can't pass, can't tackle properly, and can't play with the ball at his feet - only wants to head it.

Even said he was 'an atrotious defender', and needed to be dropped.

John Carver (sitting in for John Anderson) was agreeing with him!

Wasn't Ronaldo off of here, was it?????

if sol is the answer, what exactly is the question? dont see any way sol could play game in game out. having a more set lineup has been a positive for me. to compare williamson with bramble is a joke. bramble would be lucky to play two games without screwing up or racking up 20 punts into touch. colo and williamson are a good pairing compared to the shite we have had to watch in recent years.

Had to turn Total Sport off tonight on my way home - someone phoned in stating that Williamson was rubbish, and has been rubbish all season.

Can't pass, can't tackle properly, and can't play with the ball at his feet - only wants to head it.

Even said he was 'an atrotious defender', and needed to be dropped.

John Carver (sitting in for John Anderson) was agreeing with him!

Wasn't Ronaldo off of here, was it?????

The world is full of drunks and peyter reids fluffers

Bramble's made one costly error at Sunderland and three at Wigan in the last 2 years or so.

good for him. spent many awful years here driving me mad and i was glad to avoid his performances at wigan and safc.

Well, i don't want to jump on him because of the goal last night. He was waiting to see what would happen with Colo and then had to make a jump from standing and lost out. Not great but Colo was the cause of the problem, that's just the plain and simple fact of the matter. Neither Williamson nor Krul did anything out of the ordinary to save the situation and so they scored.

I like Williamson because he's normally fairly sound positioning wise, hasn't got much pace, isn't as strong as i expected given his height. I think he's a bit of an opposite to Steven Taylor actually, who has a better turn of pace and would of probably beaten Roberts to the ball yesterday. However, STaylor isn't so hot positionally, especially when the ball goes wide and Williamson often keeps a better body shape, on the turn, giving himself options.

Still very happy with Williamson, he's more than worth his price. Last night was just one of those things.

I'd agree with this. Roberts is an experienced player and did just enough, within what refs tend to allow, to stop Colo and Williamson getting a proper challenge on the ball, which then broke very kindly for him.

Colo allowed himself to get muscled onto the wrong side of the attacker, which was a fault we saw many times in his first season, but not so much now.

I wouldn't consider dropping Williamson. He's a very calm defender who is decisive and takes responsibility.