Wasted Talent

Guest firetotheworks

I didn't watch spanish football in 1996 no. The league undoubtedly improved after 99 though.

Why undoubtedly? Watch his hat-trick versus Valencia, who were a very good side. The only play in world football now who could do such a thing is Messi.

Yeah, I was about to mention him, but he still won the CL and was excellent for PSG and Brazil before that.

He was but I'd say he was only at his peak for two years at a maximum. Even when your lot won the Champions League he wasn't as good as the season when you signed Davids in January. He never ran at players even then, he just became very stationary and then used to lay the ball off with some nifty flick/through ball. Was still class but it's a shame he never had that desire to dominate the game for years.

True, on his prime he is the most mouth-watering footballer I have ever seen playing for us. The things he was able to do, coupled with the mobility and directness he had back then... a big loss.

You're getting confused with Ronaldo as he used to be called Ronaldinho too. ;)

Nah, Ronaldinho (Gaúcho) in his prime had more to his game.

The league was better too, some of the teams Ronaldo was up against must have been pub teams judging by the clips.

Judging by the clips? So that means you never really watched him play against some of those sides? Ronaldo was an absolute monster in his prime. He is all about what the modern game is now about, pace, power and absolutely clinical.

You're bang on with that. But Ronaldinho was also a great athlete in his first years. He used power as much as technique back then, running at defenses, using his body to generate space, etc...

Pele ;D

I don't think for a second that his talent was wasted.

Winner here is Gaza btw

I know it's a bit of a weird one, I just think he didn't test himself in the best leagues. I know he did in the WC, but imagine if he'd played for Barca or AC etc?

The Brazilian league when Pele was playing was one of the best in world football. Whenever Santos would play the big European teams they often tore them apart.

Guest firetotheworks

Pele ;D

Winner here is Gaza btw

I know it's a bit of a weird one, I just think he didn't test himself in the best leagues. I know he did in the WC, but imagine if he'd played for Barca or AC etc?

The Brazilian league when Pele was playing was one of the best in world football. Whenever Santos would play the big European teams they often tore them apart.

Aye, I've already been corrected on that. Still think Maradona was the best ever though.

The Spanish league in the 1990s had some pretty great sides... Cruyff's "Dream Team" was considered the best Barça side of all time until this season, "Super-Depor" with Bebeto, Mauro Silva, Fran were also amazing... Atlético were unplayable in their double season, Real Madrid played some pretty good possession football in the mid-90s under Valdano... even if you don't want to go to famous sides, teams like Celta (with Mazinho, Makelele...) or Tenerife (Redondo), had some great stuff going.

Guest firetotheworks

The Spanish league in the 1990s had some pretty great sides... Cruyff's "Dream Team" was considered the best Barça side of all time until this season, "Super-Depor" with Bebeto, Mauro Silva, Fran were also amazing... Atlético were unplayable in their double season, Real Madrid played some pretty good possession football in the mid-90s under Valdano... even if you don't want to go to famous sides, teams like Celta (with Mazinho, Makelele...) or Tenerife (Redondo), had some great stuff going.

Tbh I think Barca last season were the best team of the modern era. Easily the best I've ever seen, ever.

The Spanish league in the 1990s had some pretty great sides... Cruyff's "Dream Team" was considered the best Barça side of all time until this season, "Super-Depor" with Bebeto, Mauro Silva, Fran were also amazing... Atlético were unplayable in their double season, Real Madrid played some pretty good possession football in the mid-90s under Valdano...

It wasn't considered the best league like it was 10 years ago though with four excellent teams capable of winning the Champions League. I remember that Madrid team being outplayed at home by Ajax and it could've ended 0-6, Madrids team in 97 wasnt close to the one in 02 either.

Pele ;D

Winner here is Gaza btw

Aye, I've already been corrected on that. Still think Maradona was the best ever though.

Ever seen Pele use the referee in a 1-2 before?  :fishing:

Guest firetotheworks

Darren Anderton.

He was just a waste full stop.

I liked him, he had a mean cross. Every time he's mentioned now though I just think of him being mentioned in Peep Show when Mark's trying to fit in with Jeff by acting like a bloke.

Even though he single handedly won the World Cup in '62 Garrincha has to be one of them. Far too stupid for his own good.

Read his biography,an unbelievably sad tale of one of the all time football greats.

He had several birth defects: his spine was deformed, his right leg bent inwards and his left leg six centimeters shorter and curved outwards, none of which impeded his ability to play football at the top level.

Recommend people read the wikipedia page, quite impressive yet very sad.

harper

woodgate  bramble  bernard

dyer       barton    viana            luque

chopra   cort     martins

michael chopra

hugo viana

carl cort

keiron dyer

oliver bernard

jonathon woodgate

albert luque

oba martins