Is there any point in a Captain?

Rob W

Other than to toss a coin and hold up a trophy?

In other sports (rugby, creekit ) the captain actually makes decisions on the pitch and, moves players around etc

In football it's Mad Sir Alex raving on the touchline, waving his arms in the air that does those things

So why the big fuss about Captaincy???

Other than to toss a coin and hold up a trophy?

In other sports (rugby, creekit ) the captain actually makes decisions on the pitch and, moves players around etc

In football it's Mad Sir Alex raving on the touchline, waving his arms in the air that does those things

So why the big fuss about Captaincy???

A captain like Roy Keane you would say is a benefit to a team. He'll kick arse of any player he thinks isn't doing their job on the pitch during a game.

Michael Owen is/was just a pathetic cunt.

Guest toonlass

Depends on the captain tbh. Last season it boiled my piss that Michael Owen was captain as he couldn't lead, didn't motivate and tbh couldn't have cared less. When you see people like Smith, Nolan etc who are shouting encouragement, or trying to point out mistakes that the younger lads are making etc then I think it does matter. From reading stuff about the team this season Barton, Smith, Butt, Harper and Nolan are trying to set a good example on the training ground as well as the pitch. Ok Smith and Butt are getting on a bit, and Butt's legs have gone, but the attitude is great and shows when you consider the way the team spirit is this season.

In my opinion it doesn't matter who the captain is, if they're a natural leader they're going to lead regardless of an armband or not.

What I'd like to see is only the captain of each team allowed to talk to the referee and no one else, that way the ref only has to deal with 2 people at once instead of the usual chelsea/man u wrap around threatening behaviour.

I think if it went that way then the captain would be alot more instrumental to a team, leaders lead by influence, captains then have to also lead by using their brains and communicating all the information with the players, tell some to calm down, tell some to speed up etc.

In my opinion it doesn't matter who the captain is, if they're a natural leader they're going to lead regardless of an armband or not.

What I'd like to see is only the captain of each team allowed to talk to the referee and no one else, that way the ref only has to deal with 2 people at once instead of the usual chelsea/man u wrap around threatening behaviour.

I think if it went that way then the captain would be alot more instrumental to a team, leaders lead by influence, captains then have to also lead by using their brains and communicating all the information with the players, tell some to calm down, tell some to speed up etc.

In any situation, the only players appealing to the ref should be the captain and the player who's been penalised.

Like Crumpy said, a captain like Keane is a massive benefit to the team. It does matter who the captain is because the players are forced to look towards him for leadership and it gives this player a license to do whatever has to be done to the players which they might not take so well from a non captain.

Guest Stephen927

At international level, it is a token thing. Obviously it is a great honour to captain your country, but in most sides there are a lot of leaders and if you can't motivate yourself to play for your country or need guidance on the pitch then you probably shouldn't be playing at that level.

At club level they are pretty important: the captains (captain, vice and second vice) represent the squad and deal with the manager and board regarding a bunch of off-the-field matters: trophy bonuses, off-days, internal discipline, etc...

There's probably not as much need for that at international level, though.

"In my opinion it doesn't matter who the captain is, if they're a natural leader they're going to lead regardless of an armband or not."

dead right - I don't see Smith being quiet just because he hasn't got the armband whereas Owen could have been Master of the Universe and still wouldn't know how to inspire people