Best 22 players

Weznufc

Guest firetotheworks

Arshavin's the only player I've seen that has anywhere near the same style as Beardsley, he was truly unique. The shuffle made it look like he didn't know what he was doing until he'd walked intricately past 4 players and scored.

Guest firetotheworks

I prefer to remember him when Beardsley was in.

Of course, but just the way he stepped up and started getting the goals was brilliant.

Guest firetotheworks

I'd put Peacock in ahead of Howey.

I think it's a bit like putting Colo ahead of Woodgate if that makes sense. It's understandable because Peacock was available far more, but Howey was undoubtedly better.

If this is a case of 'best/most effective players for Newcastle', then i can't disagree with the general concensus. However (not looking for a bite here), if it's "the genuinely best footballers", sorta regardless of how they've performed on the whole for us, Owen should be in without a doubt. He went through two bursts of form; both were a cut above the majority of what i've seen for us - and i've established this evening that i've supported us since 97. :pow:

The September-December period when he first joined, think he got 8 in 10 league games or something. Then broke his foot at White Hart Lane. Looked absolutely quality.

The late run-in under Keegan in the withdrawn role. Absolute class he was in that little stage. Miles above any other 'in the hole' striker i've seen play for us. KK had transformed him into both a playmaker and a goalscorer for that little section of the season.

Guest firetotheworks

He was never up to Shearer Ferdinand Bellamy level tbh, both in quality and quantity. No doubting he was really good when Keegan had us playing at the back end of 08/09 mind.

Guest firetotheworks

True, but no one said anything about positional limits. :pow:

In that case I'd put Martins and Asprilla ahead of him too, then him probably.

We've had some tremendous players join us, but well past their sell by date - Kluivert and Butt spring to mind. Not so hot when they've been here, but elsewhere they were immense.

Butt still is obviously. Like a ginger Dunga but with better vision, distribution and overhead kicks.

Guest firetotheworks

I loved Martins to death, but he was never a touch on Owen in those little periods. Contributed more to the club on the whole though, definitely - if slightly less goals (i think? not sure...).

Ah I dunno, in that time the whole team looked lively. In that period I think the main men were Owen, Martins, Viduka, Barton, Geremi, Beye. All equally valuable, just Owen was the main man scoring the goals.

Beardsley was like Milner only with much better technique.

Fucking hell, there is some nonsense written on here but that takes some beating.

Beardsley was like Milner only with much better technique.

Fucking hell, there is some nonsense written on here but that takes some beating.

:lol:

Shearer

Lee

Given

Ferdinand

Bellamy

Solano

Woodgate

Robert

Batty

Asprilla

Speed

Dabizas

Dyer

Watson

Beye

Enrique

Beresford

Ginola

Martins

Albert

Taylor

Domi

Taylor and Dabizas ahead of Bassong and Howey?

Prefer Dabizas to Bassong but Howey was a light year head of anything Taylor is ever going to be. Domi could have been anything he wanted to be but his head was never right. Ferguson was injured a lot but significantly better than Martins.

i thought acuna was very underated, patrick viera say's he's the toughest player he's played against

Agree about Acuna, underrated.

Nice video on youtube where he talks about his time at us and Solano (title: clarence acuna ok ok.wmv)....though you have to understand Spanish obviously.

i thought acuna was very underated, patrick viera say's he's the toughest player he's played against

Agree about Acuna, underrated.

Nice video on youtube where he talks about his time at us and Solano (title: clarence acuna ok ok.wmv)....though you have to understand Spanish obviously.

Clarence was limited but could do a job. Always tried hard but we have had much much better.

Arshavin's the only player I've seen that has anywhere near the same style as Beardsley, he was truly unique. The shuffle made it look like he didn't know what he was doing until he'd walked intricately past 4 players and scored.

arshavin's a good comparison  :thup:

emre (sometimes) and tevez remind me of beardsley too, to an extent

For the love of all that is holy, can a comparison between Emre and Beardsley never again be made. They were relatively short and had black hair. Similarities over!

Jesus wept!