Derby County 3 - 0 Newcastle Utd - 09/02/10 - post match reaction from page 24

Dave

I certainly believe some of Hughtons signings need to be told to up their game considerably, and many of the old hands too.

This result was a shocker, but if it gets a positive reaction, then maybe we can still hold our own enough to go up.

I really will be annoyed if Nolan starts against Swansea, I mean he's done nothing since Christmas- He dosen't contribute goals, he dosen't do anything noteworthy, he's just a big figure in the dressing room who slows down the midfield.

Certainly seems to be resting on his laurels, hasn't he ?

Just on my way home

it was one of those games guys frustrating no bounces going our way officials shocking.

To sum up

Simpson gutierrez didn't look fit

savage should have been sent

never a pen

they didn't give us a second

officials awful and I mean awful never a pen the linesman gave it

liven needed to be on earlier

juries out on best

hall looked good

just one of those games guys

howay

Unpossible!

Poor result - not seen the goals and couldn't listen to the match for technical reasons but does sound like Hughton was found wanting in the tactical department tonight.

:lol:

I've only seen the result but it definitely seems like Hughton fucked up

;)

Aye, aye, man...you know what I meant. :lol: But yeah, stating the obvious when said like that.

Humiliating...

bollick's game's like this happen get a grip and calm doon

True, but it was the manner of it that was so worrying.

You give all the credit to the defence and totally disregard the fact that Hughton opted for a 4-5-1 in a lot of those games? How come?

Smith is clearly going to have to be in there without fail. He's not great but I dunno ... maybe that goofy scowl actually gets to some of the opposition. Away from home if we do play a 4-4-2 Nolan can under no circumstances be one of the two. If Nolan plays then it has to be a 4-5-1.

Otherwise I'm not sure it will matter who is in our back four to be honest with you.

It definitely matters who is in our back four. We had a settled, quality back four and noone was scoring against us.

When Taylor got injured earlier in the season we patched up the defence and dropped points to QPR and Forest.

He's got injured again and we're dropping points again.

We have kept clean sheets all season regardless of formation because of a very good defence at this level. Three of them are injured and we have replaced them with three players who barely know each other, all new to the club and all of a lower standard. We have leaked three goals.

I predict that our results will pick up when Enrique and Colo are back. Until then, we just have to hope this lot can hold the fort as it's a very makeshift, thrown together defence.

I'm gonna eat an entire packet of Haribo to cheer myself up.

Raspberry Ripple ice cream for me.

Wispa for me.

I think this defeat is all Jill's fault for not eating enough during the game tbh.

Fear not, Saturday's game is better timed for a meal :smug:

Btw a few people said in the pre-match thread for this game that Hughton could prove his worth to them by keeping the same team and setup (or very similar).

Be interesting to see how that opinion differs now it didn't work.

He should have played 4-5-1!  :angry:

Guest sicko2ndbest

Dave

hall looked composed and strong nothing to do with the goals

oh and one of the best pieces of skill this season in the corner messiesque

When Taylor got injured earlier in the season we patched up the defence and dropped points to QPR and Forest.

Yeah, was thinking along the same lines too - Colly too.

When they both play, makes a hell of a difference.

And this avatar - why didn't I think of that ?

Wheels come off while using it (apart from Cardiff)  :iamatwat:

When Enrique and Colo come back, we'll stop conceding goals, but that's not the real problem here. Leon Best is unproven and i'm willing to give him a chance, but what in god's name is going on when we're aspiring to be a premiership team come May and we're starting him and Andy Carroll?

Lovenkrands and Shola have proved they're our best bets for goals, what the hell are they doing on the bench?

Swansea game is vital now, not a must win, as we'll still be ahead of Forest with a game in hand, win, lose or draw but from a momentum POV we need a morale boost again, Saturday's game on paper is our toughest away test left on the season, a win would be huge.

When Enrique and Colo come back, we'll stop conceding goals, but that's not the real problem here. Leon Best is unproven and i'm willing to give him a chance, but what in god's name is going on when we're aspiring to be a premiership team come May and we're starting him and Andy Carroll?

Lovenkrands and Shola have proved they're our best bets for goals, what the hell are they doing on the bench?

I know you don't rate Carroll but it would be pretty shit for morale if you score two, almost have another two (post and off the line) and in the following match you are dropped.

Best is the new signing, he'll be played for some time yet. It's just the way it goes.

Guest manomush

Humiliating...

bollick's game's like this happen get a grip and calm doon

True, but it was the manner of it that was so worrying.

they got the run of the ball tonight,that's life we were not humiliated

Take a look at our last 2 matches and if you've an ounce of sense you'll see that the Cardiff result was actually the out of the blue shock result. What happened at Derby has been coming for a while now.

Hughtons choice to play Best after his completely anonymous performance on Friday is shockingly poor. If I was Lovenkrands I'd have Hughtons office door off its hinges at 9am tomorrow.

You give all the credit to the defence and totally disregard the fact that Hughton opted for a 4-5-1 in a lot of those games? How come?

Smith is clearly going to have to be in there without fail. He's not great but I dunno ... maybe that goofy scowl actually gets to some of the opposition. Away from home if we do play a 4-4-2 Nolan can under no circumstances be one of the two. If Nolan plays then it has to be a 4-5-1.

Otherwise I'm not sure it will matter who is in our back four to be honest with you.

It definitely matters who is in our back four. We had a settled, quality back four and noone was scoring against us.

Taylor played against QPR.

Colo played with Williamson twice and we kept two comfortable clean sheets. It's pretty obvious we suffer most when both are out, but it's Coloccini that really holds that defence together.

Btw a few people said in the pre-match thread for this game that Hughton could prove his worth to them by keeping the same team and setup (or very similar).

Be interesting to see how that opinion differs now it didn't work.

He should have played 4-5-1!  :angry:

I like the fact that we kept the same formation but fatigue could possibly have been a factor in todays result (pure speculation I couldn't even get  my radio to work so I'm going off the reactions from here). Williamson hasn't played much before he was thrown in the deep end. Simpson's come back from injury recently, don't know much about the other two. Nolan needs a break I think he's been poor recently it'll be good to have Joey as an option again soon (I hope when's he back?). Hope Jonas and Wayne aren't too knackered as we need them on sat.

Anyone know how Swansea have done in the last few weeks?