Forever young: Nigerian football's age-old problem, Kanu is 42 and Taribo West i

Tooj

The last bit about FIFA using magnetic resonance imaging is interesting. Very welcome.

I can see that becoming a standard part of a medical for any player whose age might just be in question.

Can only work up to 17 years unfortunately.

I don't get what the fuss is, for age restricted competitions fair enough, but how this affects senior football, is beyond me. If Nigeria did shit in the ACN then that's because their players weren't good enough, why they weren't good enough is neither here nor there, if they weren't up to it then they shouldn't have been picked and should have been replaced by better players. If we found out that Wayne Rooney was a granddad (at least that'd explain something), would we suddenly think he was shit? Nah, of course not. If you're good enough, you're old/young enough.

Guest Alan_Shearer

http://www.pollsb.com/photos/o/7976-simon_adebisi.jpg

Simon Adebisi! Legendary....

Now Martins has left us im open to saying he's old now.

I don't get what the fuss is, for age restricted competitions fair enough, but how this affects senior football, is beyond me. If Nigeria did s*** in the ACN then that's because their players weren't good enough, why they weren't good enough is neither here nor there, if they weren't up to it then they shouldn't have been picked and should have been replaced by better players. If we found out that Wayne Rooney was a granddad (at least that'd explain something), would we suddenly think he was s***? Nah, of course not. If you're good enough, you're old/young enough.

You don't see a problem with a club buying a player thinking that they are 23 with at least 6 year ahead of them in their prime and still having full see-on value. And then finding out that your 23yr old is actually 29 and is on the down slide within 2 years with minimal sell-on value.  That's a false bill of goods.

I don't get what the fuss is, for age restricted competitions fair enough, but how this affects senior football, is beyond me. If Nigeria did s*** in the ACN then that's because their players weren't good enough, why they weren't good enough is neither here nor there, if they weren't up to it then they shouldn't have been picked and should have been replaced by better players. If we found out that Wayne Rooney was a granddad (at least that'd explain something), would we suddenly think he was s***? Nah, of course not. If you're good enough, you're old/young enough.

You don't see a problem with a club buying a player thinking that they are 23 with at least 6 year ahead of them in their prime and still having full see-on value. And then finding out that your 23yr old is actually 29 and is on the down slide within 2 years with minimal sell-on value.  That's a false bill of goods.

That's a fair point actually, my mindset was thinking in terms of national teams, where it doesn't really matter.

On a slight tangent but I thought I'd mention it:

My first job after Uni was in a major credit ranking company who also collected debts for credit card sales. We were told unofficially to double check any Nigerian applications and pass them on to the harder debt collection dept. without any fuss...

Who says institutional racism doesn't exist!! When I moved up the ladder at that company one of the major reasons for double checking was the quantity of fake passports or the lack of real data on the real ones, bit like article above...

Might go to Nigeria for Hols and lose a few years, come back a new fella :)

On a slight tangent but I thought I'd mention it:

My first job after Uni was in a major credit ranking company who also collected debts for credit card sales. We were told unofficially to double check any Nigerian applications and pass them on to the harder debt collection dept. without any fuss...

Who says institutional racism doesn't exist!! When I moved up the ladder at that company one of the major reasons for double checking was the quantity of fake passports or the lack of real data on the real ones, bit like article above...

Might go to Nigeria for Hols and lose a few years, come back a new fella :)

Good post, i like that. :thup: