We can't be caught. CHAMPIONS.

Rob W

I don't want to sound like "I told you so", but I said all along that there was nothing in this league and we would stroll to promotion. I certainly never bought into that crap about it being a tough division.

Having said that, the ownership, management and squad of players deserve a lot of credit in getting the job done (assuming no last minute capitulations of course). I'm not a fan of Ashley and have never been a supporter of Hughton as manager but I have to say it would been extremely hard on him and probably very wrong to replace him in the summer, he deserves the chance to manage the team next year, whether he last the full season though will be open to debate.

Our squad though is nowhere near close to being of a level that will compete for mid table obscurity (which realistically is the best we can hope for) next year. Some tough decisions will need to be made, as KK did when we went up last time.

Guest neesy111

Based on our performances at the end of last season, and the players that went out, I can see why we expected to do badly. I thought it myself.

Turns out we were lucky/good in that the players that went were mostly ones we wanted to get rid of anyway, and we bolstered that with some clever signings.

We have a better squad and team now than the one that went down, IMO.

i agree, would this team got more points over the last 10-12 games, yes because we have a bit of sprit now

I don't want to sound like "I told you so", but I said all along that there was nothing in this league and we would stroll to promotion. I certainly never bought into that crap about it being a tough division.

Having said that, the ownership, management and squad of players deserve a lot of credit in getting the job done (assuming no last minute capitulations of course). I'm not a fan of Ashley and have never been a supporter of Hughton as manager but I have to say it would been extremely hard on him and probably very wrong to replace him in the summer, he deserves the chance to manage the team next year, whether he last the full season though will be open to debate.

Our squad though is nowhere near close to being of a level that will compete for mid table obscurity (which realistically is the best we can hope for) next year. Some tough decisions will need to be made, as KK did when we went up last time.

kk didn't have to make many tough decisions. kelly wasn't good enough and peacock left on compassion.

People kept talking about how quick this league was and that we didn't have the pace neccesary :lol:  I thought it was a shit league and that most teams lacked any pace or quality at all.

People kept talking about how quick this league was and that we didn't have the pace neccesary :lol:  I thought it was a s*** league and that most teams lacked any pace or quality at all.

The standard of finishing is what has surprised me, it's fucking terrible.

This is what worries me about our defence when/if we return to the Prem. Defensive msitakes in this league often go unpunished because the strikers aren't clinical enough, whereas 90% of the teams in the premier league have at least one striker who will pounce on the slightest defensive error and bury the ball in the net.

In this league our defence looks solid but how will it fare against Rooney, Defoe, Bellamy, Drogba etc. next season.

kk didn't have to make many tough decisions. kelly wasn't good enough and peacock left on compassion.

Not one Newcastle fan thought Kelly wasn't good enough to at least be given a chance in the PL, the lad had just banged in 28 goals or something, including a hattrick in his last appearance. That was a brave and tough decision by KK.

The line we got from the club was that Peacock was sold because of some birth defect with his new born, not sure that was the real reason, doesn't seem too much logic in it, why the need to move to London ? Both he and his wife were grown adults and had no need to be around their family for support, it's not as if his wife would have had to work to make ends meet. He was sold for football reasons, and again a brave decision as Peacock had been one of our best players but the signing of Cole had signalled his departure.

KK also got rid of the likes of Sheedy, Killer and Micky Quinn, all whom had seen their better days but he was ruthless in jetisoning them. There are many clubs that are happy to reward the bulk of their playing staff who got them up with  the chance to prove they can perform at the top level, KK did not take any passengers with him as he brought the club up. We have to do the same again.

People kept talking about how quick this league was and that we didn't have the pace neccesary :lol:  I thought it was a s*** league and that most teams lacked any pace or quality at all.

The standard of finishing is what has surprised me, it's f***ing terrible.

This is what worries me about our defence when/if we return to the Prem. Defensive msitakes in this league often go unpunished because the strikers aren't clinical enough, whereas 90% of the teams in the premier league have at least one striker who will pounce on the slightest defensive error and bury the ball in the net.

In this league our defence looks solid but how will it fare against Rooney, Defoe, Bellamy, Drogba etc. next season.

That's a very good point and is why teams often pay a premium for the top strikers. In the season we went down, we were guilty of way too many un forced errors, we have to learn from that next year.

KK also got rid of the likes of Sheedy, Killer and Micky Quinn, all whom had seen their better days but he was ruthless in jetisoning them. There are many clubs that are happy to reward the bulk of their playing staff who got them up with  the chance to prove they can perform at the top level, KK did not take any passengers with him as he brought the club up. We have to do the same again.

This, especially the bolded bit. We need a frank and brutal in-house assesment over the summer as to who is genuinely PL quality and who is not. Those that are not should be sold, and replaced with people who are. If we keep them as "backup", we run the risk of not signing replacements and ending up relying on them as first teamers.

This, especially the bolded bit. We need a frank and brutal in-house assesment over the summer as to who is genuinely PL quality and who is not. Those that are not should be sold, and replaced with people who are. If we keep them as "backup", we run the risk of not signing replacements and ending up relying on them as first teamers.

Ryan Taylor and Pancrate would be the first ones on my list.  Not even good enough at this level.

Simpson would be out along with Ryan Taylor for me. Simpson has not shown anything at all to suggest he's a good player. He'll get torn to pieces in the PL and offers nothing going forward.

A new, good quality RB is essential in the summer.

"we would stroll to promotion"

hmmm - we've had to put together long runs without a loss - I don't think its been that easy TBH

It's been a stroll, we could easily lock up promotion with around 5 or 6 games still to play, to describe it as anything other than that would be to completely flatter the crap in this division.

Not one Newcastle fan thought Kelly wasn't good enough to at least be given a chance in the PL, the lad had just banged in 28 goals or something, including a hattrick in his last appearance. That was a brave and tough decision by KK.

The line we got from the club was that Peacock was sold because of some birth defect with his new born, not sure that was the real reason, doesn't seem too much logic in it, why the need to move to London ? Both he and his wife were grown adults and had no need to be around their family for support, it's not as if his wife would have had to work to make ends meet. He was sold for football reasons, and again a brave decision as Peacock had been one of our best players but the signing of Cole had signalled his departure.

Great post - I mentioned this about Kelly a few days ago when saying that I wouldn't have Lovenkrands in the side if we got promoted to the Prem.

As you say afar, most fans were shocked when KK let Kelly go - even SJH, although backing KKs decision, personally assured Kelly he would always be welcome at SJP, and thanked him for his great contribution over 2 seasons(his goal against Pompey kept us up in '92).

I made the point that Kelly was a better player than Lovenkrands, both in his goals scored and all round team contribution - AND he was 3 years younger...

KK had seen how ruthless Shankly could be at Liverpool, when he got rid of the likes of St.John and Yeats when he thought they were past it - even though they had helped him bring Liverpool from being a run-of-the-mill Div 2 side to one of the best in England ; Keegan was right to do what he did and that is exactly what we will need to do if promoted because there are several players who are just not good enough for the top league.

Whether this happens or not depends on either Ashley being prepared to fork out the funds to replace them, or his replacement as owner(in the unlikely event of him selling)doing the same.

There is also the question of the manager's backbone too....!

Great post - I mentioned this about Kelly a few days ago when saying that I wouldn't have Lovenkrands in the side if we got promoted to the Prem.

As you say afar, most fans were shocked when KK let Kelly go - even SJH, although backing KKs decision, personally assured Kelly he would always be welcome at SJP, and thanked him for his great contribution over 2 seasons(his goal against Pompey kept us up in '92).

I made the point that Kelly was a better player than Lovenkrands, both in his goals scored and all round team contribution - AND he was 3 years younger...

KK had seen how ruthless Shankly could be at Liverpool, when he got rid of the likes of St.John and Yeats when he thought they were past it - even though they had helped him bring Liverpool from being a run-of-the-mill Div 2 side to one of the best in England ; Keegan was right to do what he did and that is exactly what we will need to do if promoted because there are several players who are just not good enough for the top league.

Whether this happens or not depends on either Ashley being prepared to fork out the funds to replace them, or his replacement as owner(in the unlikely event of him selling)doing the same.

kelly and loven are different style players in vastly differing teams so it's diffiuilt to say who was better. (i'd like to know how many loven would have got in that team)

kk didn't get rid of killer till 2004 when he was well past it as was sheedy when he left. we did keep players who seemingly werent up to it and only got rid when we could (killer,scott,o'brien)

kelly and loven are different style players in vastly differing teams so it's diffiuilt to say who was better. (i'd like to know how many loven would have got in that team)

kk didn't get rid of killer till 2004 when he was well past it as was sheedy when he left. we did keep players who seemingly werent up to it and only got rid when we could (killer,scott,o'brien)

O0

O0

my mistook. however he wasn't got rid of as soon as we got promoted,only we the time was right.

Sheff Utd

Reading

Doncaster

Blackpool

Coventry

Barnsley

Middlesbrough

Preston

Ipswich

QPR

Bristol City

Watford

Derby

Scunthorpe

Crystal Palace

Peterborough

Plymouth or

Sheff Wed    :celb: :celb: :celb:

:bluestar: God I hope we get out. I need games on TV.

'Kelly and Loven'...difficult to say who was better..'...

For you maybe, but not for me - I'd be interested to see if KK would have retained Lovenkrands after promotion, and I wouldn't bet much on his doing so.

Last time we won promotion we sold David Kelly and brought in Peter Beardsley. We won't be bringing in players of the calibre of Beardsley next season I think it's fair to say so I would keep Lovenkrands. Plus he scored a few for us in the Prem at the back end of last season.