Making A Stand Against SKY TV.

kane2005

Without Sky we would be no better than leagues such as the Eredivisie or Ligue 1.

The premier league must be one of the most over hyped products ever. David Gold was on Radio 5 earlier saying that it is best league that the world has ever known.

What a load of bollocks, its in Sky's interests to perpetuate this myth for obvious reasons - the reality is a totally predictable, uncompetitive league which is killing the domestic cup competitions, loads of dull games with most teams scraping around for bore draws and enough points to stay up

That will be us next season - what a treat to look forward to

Couldn't agree more. It's a complete myth, best league  ;D Give me Germany any day, where fans are actually treated with respect. Modern football is s****.

Exactly. I'd rather follow the French league tbh, it's a shit standard but hey at least it's interesting. The relitively small club that is Sochaux are 2nd, they were only promoted a few seasons ago. The atmosphere's are also much better too.

The premier league is boring, predictable and totally and utterly plastic. Cant see it changing either.

Guest neesy111

How profitable the PL is for Skysports at the end?

The Real Madrid and FC Barcelona contracts have since long been deficitary for their holders (satellite and cable have never taken hold in Spain, they are trying now with digital on-air TV which might work better)

VI

if the premier league hadn't been formed when it was, Sky would not be the size it is today!

hugely profitable

we under the entertainers really launched sky as well, we we're by far the best team to watch and sky loved us for it!

:angry:  Thieving scum  greatly responsible for many of the ills of UK football. Vowed never to have it in the house 'til the day I die.

I do watch it down the pub, but that's as much about keeping the pub in business rather than subsidising SK* and the overpaid, ego-inflated ars*holes in the Premiership. 

Sky is the only reason football in this country is so wealthy, so world renowned and therefore able to attract the best quality. The Premier League only developed with Sky's backing.

Moreover, Sky have to get permission from clubs to show the games - they would have asked both teams about moving the Plymouth match, owners/board could have said no. Look at it realistically, it's more money that we need.

Sky is the only reason football in this country is so wealthy, so world renowned and therefore able to attract the best quality. The Premier League only developed with Sky's backing.

Moreover, Sky have to get permission from clubs to show the games - they would have asked both teams about moving the Plymouth match, owners/board could have said no. Look at it realistically, it's more money that we need.

Not strictly true. British football was at a very low ebb when Sky arrived for a number of reasons but that would've righted itself over time. All they did really was fast forward the recovery of the game in this country. That's not entirely a bad thing as the Premier League wouldn't exist in this capacity had they not came along when they did (something would've changed eventually, the bigger clubs were starting to get fucked off) but they've also got to shoulder a large amount of the blame for creating this culture of running to stand financially.

Also Sky don't need the permission of the clubs to change games, just the league. Last season the Mackems game against Pompey got moved against their wishes and this seems to be a carbon copy of that situation.

From nufc.com

From the Ipswich Town website, Monday:

"Town's match at Newcastle looks set to remain on Saturday, April 24. Sky TV have allocated one game from that weekend schedule to be played on Monday, April 26 but that will not be Blues' trip to St James' Park.

"We have received a number of enquiries from fans about the possibility of the game at Newcastle being switched to the Monday but we understand from Sky that we are definitely playing on the Saturday," says a Club spokesperson.

All well and good, but that still leaves the possibility of Sky taking coverage of the game on the Saturday and amending the kick-off time from 3pm - not to mention the BBC picking this fixture, which would throw up the possibility of a Sunday rescheduling after all....

I wouldn't have been going anyway so I'm glad it's now on TV. I am though well pissed off for the travellers who'll now miss out.

SKY will be doing their maths and watching the league table. I'd expect one or two games to be moved with about 3 weeks notice as the season closes. They'll want the 'moment' live. We are in the top 3 of the high viewing figures so for SKY its a 'selling advertising' bonanza considering the peanuts they pay Championship clubs in comparison to the Prem Clubs.

I think there should be a 30 day rule for game changes so  everyone will then know there is a point where travel can be sorted and tickets purchased.

Ashley could do himself a favour by offering free transport to the game. It wouldn't cost him the earth to put a dozen buses on and would just about chip the surface in publicly giving something back.

How do you know this ?

Guest jeffers09

Just ordered my tickets for the Peterborough game

Do you think it is safe to book the train tickets yet or could there be a change of date/time?

Just ordered my tickets for the Peterborough game

Do you think it is safe to book the train tickets yet or could there be a change of date/time?

Won't be moved

• 1 month later...

Lest we forget that its Sky's fault more fans can't be there tomorrow night to hopefully see up win the league.

Certainly i'd advocate a boycoutt of giving them any soundbites and a few chants aimed at them when its live would be difficult to edit out.

Lest we forget that its Sky's fault more fans can't be there tomorrow night to hopefully see up win the league.

Certainly i'd advocate a boycoutt of giving them any soundbites and a few chants aimed at them when its live would be difficult to edit out.

Due to the travelling difficulties (no flights, trains probably now highly booked) caused by the volcano, it being on Sky probably means more people will get to see it.

All well and good, but that still leaves the possibility of Sky taking coverage of the game on the Saturday and amending the kick-off time from 3pm - not to mention the BBC picking this fixture, which would throw up the possibility of a Sunday rescheduling after all....

I would absolutely rage if that happened, got the Saturday booked of but no way can I get out of working Sunday at this stage.

Maybe the best way to make a stand against these money grabbing bastards is to hit them where it hurts - cancel the subscription to Sky Sports

When I lived in the UK I DID cancel Sky subs because they had taken shares in both Man U(our main rivals at the time)and the Mackems.

I think the Murdochs have far too much power in the world because of their media holdings and if I had an alternative , I would cancel here in Oz too, but its the only way to see NUFC now.

Maybe the best way to make a stand against these money grabbing bastards is to hit them where it hurts - cancel the subscription to Sky Sports

When I lived in the UK I DID cancel Sky subs because they had taken shares in both Man U(our main rivals at the time)and the Mackems.

I think the Murdochs have far too much power in the world because of their media holdings and if I had an alternative , I would cancel here in Oz too, but its the only way to see NUFC now.

Saw an interesting election snippet the other day

One positive spin on the present polling - from former Sun editor David Yelland, as reported by the BBC: "If Clegg's Lib Dems held the balance of power it would be the first time in Rupert Murdoch's life that he was locked out of British politics." So says former Sun editor David Yelland of his old boss, in the Guardian.