Best English Midfielder since Gazza

Mowen
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest firetotheworks

It's good that there's no unanimous decision on it, but I take none of us would say they were as good as Gazza?

I'm happy to be proved wrong - but what are Lampard's qualities?

I can't see anything other than hitting the ball as hard as you can at the goal and hope for a lucky deflection.  I can't recall him for being a great passer of the ball, tackler or a box to box player.

He gets the majority of his goals from the penalty spot too.

Lampard has nearly 150 goals for Chelsea, assists must be off the chart too.

I've always been confused by this. Despite the stats i've never rated him as highly as other players.

He's obviously a very good player but he will never be among the greats in my eyes.

I can't see anything other than hitting the ball as hard as you can at the goal and hope for a lucky deflection.  I can't recall him for being a great passer of the ball, tackler or a box to box player.

He is a great passer of the ball, the last point is plain wrong tbh.

He is a great passer of the ball, the last point is plain wrong tbh.

Alright fair enough about the pens, but I don't think he's as good as the other three.

Now fair is fair.

Any critisism you have of Lampards goal record you could have of Shearers. Lots of penalties and tap in's etc. However, the stats can't be denied, it's not luck, it's a skill.

I don't think he's a great passer, he's the worst of the four above.

Guest Roger Kint

119 Premier League goals(easily highest midfielder)

74 assists(2nd in all time Premier League records)

119 Premier League goals(easily highest midfielder)

74 assists(2nd in all time Premier League records)

Apart from that :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

For me Lampard is a player who does the basics extremely well, his positioning is something else too. If you watch him off the ball it's like its in his blood to find space and use it effectively.

He's a better passer and crosser of the ball than Gerrard and Scholes.

:lol:

Honestly?

I beg you to watch Scholes very closely. His passing is unbelievable compared to Lampards. Scholes vision is superb.

I can't think of one aspect of Lampards game that is better than Scholes.. apart from tackling.

As much as Gerrard is a tad overrated, he could have walked into any team in europe in the last 7 years and won all of that. You cannot say the same about Beckham.

Not over the last 7 years. But certainly the 4 before that.

Beckham is better than Gerrard imo. Scholes is the best of the lot though. Of all the ex pro's I've spoken to, all have said the same about Scholes, that he's immense.

I was going to say that he's the footballers footballer. I reckon if you did a poll most players would want to play with Scholes over the others.

He's also the most proffesional.

Guest firetotheworks

Apparently Scholes is the only player not to have received the hairdryer treatment from Fergie.

Scholes at his best was the best of the lot, but his prime only lasted 4 years.

Hard to disagee with that.

1999-2003 Was his pomp IMO.

On the other hand, he's probably been the most consistant throughout his career. i.e he's never really had a poor patch, his goals may have dried up but that's expected.

Lampard was great from about 24/25, Beckham has been average since his legs went. Gerrards been pretty great throughout his career too though.

Apparently Scholes is the only player not to have received the hairdryer treatment from Fergie.

I heard that Scholes once bragged that he could get into the Man Utd first team with his eyes closed, he didn't do too well with just blurred vision

[/2008]

Scholes at his best was the best of the lot, but his prime only lasted 4 years.

Hard to disagee with that.

1999-2003 Was his pomp IMO.

On the other hand, he's probably been the most consistant throughout his career. i.e he's never really had a poor patch, his goals may have dried up but that's expected.

Lampard was great from about 24/25, Beckham has been average since his legs went. Gerrards been pretty great throughout his career too though.

:lol:

Unbelievable Jeff! Phil, is that you?