Best English Midfielder since Gazza

Mowen
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Roger Kint

Beckham has 20 Premier League assists. That has him behind Nzogbia, Smith and alongside the legends that are Geremi and Franck Queudrue. One ahead of Gary Neville as well.  :fishing:

Guest Roger Kint

Surely that can't be right?

You doubt the official Premier League site? Says 265 games, 62 goals, 20 assists, 38 yellows, 0 reds

Guest Roger Kint

Why would the official site have that wrong though? The general wankfest over him should over do it not rob him  ;D

He had 9 in 02/03 but none in 01/02(injury hit) according to soccernet like

Guest Roger Kint

It's probably about right actually, thinking about it.

Its just when u see those around him it looks mental ;D

I'm genuinely surprised at the level of support for Beckham. He's good at what he does do well (ie crossing, dead balls) but there's quite a few gaps in his range of skills. Even at his peak, he rarely got  behind a defence or got on the end of chances in the box like the other three.

He's a player that likes to play behind the crowded areas and spray passes. He's not good at keeping the ball under pressure and tends to avoid those tight situations.

Guest Stephen927

He never has been the kind of play to stretch defences or go on mazy runs, you can be a brilliant player without those things. Leave that to the Messis, the Ronaldos, that just isn't Beckhams game.

Guest Roger Kint

Re the stats going by this page and selecting assists and which season. They only start recording assists from 2000/2001 season.

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Statistics/0,,12306,00.html

So he may actually have a bit more than 20...

Good spot, not sure how far back it goes because theres 12 assists credited to him the year on year stats but 20 in total. Never mind though, was only a pisstake when i saw who was listed around him ;D

Those stating that Beckam didn't skin players etc are missing the point. That's not what he was ever in the team to do, it's like complaining that Scholes isn't fantastic in the air or that Lampard doesn't have blistering pace.

Beckham was, and for my money still is, one of the best in the world at what he does. Ie dead ball situations, whipping in crosses, great range of passing and vision, rarely if ever wastes a ball and is a consumate professional.

If I was a forward, I'd rather be playing with Beckham than any of the others.

Those stating that Beckam didn't skin players etc are missing the point. That's not what he was ever in the team to do, it's like complaining that Scholes isn't fantastic in the air or that Lampard doesn't have blistering pace.

Beckham was, and for my money still is, one of the best in the world at what he does. Ie dead ball situations, whipping in crosses, great range of passing and vision, rarely if ever wastes a ball and is a consumate professional.

If I was a forward, I'd rather be playing with Beckham than any of the others.

Totally agree, it's pointless criticising him for things that aren't part of his game. Obviously you could argue that he isn't the 'complete player', but I can't think of many of those anyway.

David Beckham.. professional?  Ok.

Excuse me. Look at the very high percentage of footballers who constantly go out on the piss several times a week. Beckham in 2005 had been on something like 4 or 5 nights out in his career (not including ones after a cup final win) or something like that. His 'stag do' before getting married was sitting in his house with a few close friends, a few bottles of beer and a games console.

There's no way you can say the man is unprofessional, he takes the game very seriously.

Excuse me. Look at the very high percentage of footballers who constantly go out on the piss several times a week. Beckham in 2005 had been on something like 4 or 5 nights out in his career (not including ones after a cup final win) or something like that. His 'stag do' before getting married was sitting in his house with a few close friends, a few bottles of beer and a games console.

There's no way you can say the man is unprofessional, he takes the game very seriously.

Yeah screaming at his own supporters and offerring to fight them is certainly professional. 

Also, his first stint at Milan showed utter disrespect for LA Galaxy and their players - his behavior isn't exactly model.

Also 'he takes his game seriously' - well then why is he playing in America?

Yeah screaming at his own supporters and offerring to fight them is certainly professional. 

Also, his first stint at Milan showed utter disrespect for LA Galaxy and their players - his behavor isn't exactly model.

Also 'he takes his game seriously' - well then why is he playing in America?

Taking the game seriously has nothing to do with who he's playing for. He shows passion for the game, and does not think he can abuse his body just because he is minted.

The man is only human, anyway. Who are the other candidates for this title? Steven Gerrard... well, he's been a whisker away from the clink on a few occasions and is constantly out on the piss.

If I remember rightly, the supporter that was shouting at him was saying incredibly disgusting and untruthful things about his family, and I don't blame him at all for reacting to that fan. Highlighting that one incident as your main basis for him being unprofessional shows that there's little of a case against him. Half the bloody England team have been banned, locked up, arrested, unfaithful or found sozzled after a night out. Our national team is filled with people who aren't exactly saints, but Beckham is the most professional of the lot, almost.

In terms of being a 'professional' player, the only player who I can think of since Gazza who rivals Beckham is Paul Scholes. And as much as he was (and still is, to an extent) a terrific player, I don't think he was quite as good.

He offered to fight them?

He wanted a few supporters to come down from where they were sitting, and when it looked like one of them was about to do just that, he nearly jumped over the sponsor board to get at the guy. 

This was his first game back at LA Galaxy after his Milan stint.

He offered to fight them?

He wanted a few supporters to come down from where they were sitting, and when it looked like one of them was about to do just that, he nearly jumped over the sponsor board to get at the guy. 

This was his first game back at LA Galaxy after his Milan stint.

And in that one act, which didn't even involve him kicking a ball, he showed more guts, passion, determination and loyalty than the spineless little shit currently occupying your avatar space. Showing the desire to prove yourself and caring what other people think, and striving to correct them is part of what makes truly great players.