Is Mike Ashley steering Newcastle United in the right direction?

LooneyToonArmy

Keep Ashley, he is at least capable of handling the economic issue if you are to believe the media. However, get rid of Lambias and get someone like Mort back in. Im tired of our chairman he says neither does anything logical.

I think with Ashley's backing we could go far especially as it seems he does have a strategic. A long-term plan, however like i said Lambias (what the f*** is he doing at the club stil) should be rid off as soon as possible.

Get a person with footballing knowledge who can help Ashley invest the money wisely.

Stay Ashley, out Lambias. That's the only way to go, another ownership change will only stir us into more trouble to be honest.

Like who?

I don't have an insight on english football directors or whatever they should be called. But there must be some people with footballing knowledge who are honest and have a sense of how to control a club from a chairman position?

You could open the question up to everyone and there would still be a lack of suggestions.

Keep Ashley, he is at least capable of handling the economic issue if you are to believe the media. However, get rid of Lambias and get someone like Mort back in. Im tired of our chairman he says neither does anything logical.

The man who which the tribunal stated lied to the fans. Give your head a shake.

Mort, who created the Keegan/Wise/Jiminez dynasty. :lol:

He left in June though, before the transfer window which gave Wise so much power. Might have been different if he had stayed on.

And sure Ashley lied to the fans, but how long does it take before everyone gets over it? And haven't you lied before, its just double morale if you don't like him because he lied. At the end of the day it's like I said, another ownership will only set us back another year, why don't we just stick behind him and at least see where it goes?

I'm a supporter just like you are, but its been over a year and a half since the Keegan debacle and some people just doesn't get over it.

The one thing I can't get is that Shley brought in Shearer last season because he didin't think or have faith in Hughton being able to keep us up, yet he wants him as manager next season.

It's because he doesn't really know what the hell he's doing, man. What on earth was the point in appointing Shearer, ffs? Is he really that deluded? It was a good decision when he didn't offer him the job permanently but I'd have been happier again had he gone out and appointed an experienced manager. Nowt against Hughton, who is doing a decent job under difficult circumstances.

It does look like Ashley is getting better, but that's not saying much on previous performance. 

He needs someone like me to help him out.

Here's something....

Mike,

I already have a career job that I'll have to give up, but I love the club so I'll do it. I'll sign a 9 year employment contract with Newcastle United for £60k pa to help you out with your PR. Annual increases in line with inflation and a car will do it. You'll easily get that back from the increased attendance revenue just by me preventing Derek putting his foot in it every time he opens his mouth.

hang on htl, wasn't the appointment very reminiscent of appointing another of our ex faves into the managers seat without any experience when fighting a relegation battle.

Speak for yourself. I don't have any favourites, I grew out of that by about age 12, the club is all that is important.

If the club is all that is important to you then I'm not sure how you can come to the conclusion that immediate success on the field is anyway near as important as survival off it?!

You think I'm after IMMEDIATE success when I've been supporting this club since 1968?

Mate, if you're going to reply at least think past the knee-jerk dig before you do it. I haven't demanded immediate success, or even just success, that's the game of those who wanted rid of the previous Board. You know, the people who weren't happy with 3 x top 5 finishes and with signing 3 players in 2003. They are the one's who were demanding success.

I'm critical of Ashley and co because their decisions led directly to the club being relegated, therefore placing into jeopardy the very existence of the football club.

Not being relegated from the PL last season is very much tied to the survival of the club but it happened, in reality there is a direct relationship between what happens on the field of play and what happens off it. However, my position on Ashley is obviously nothing to do with calls for immediate success. I guess you must mistakenly believe my annoyance that Ashley brought about relegation is somehow a call from me for immediate success. After saying that, I believe immediate promotion is definitely tied to the future of the club. You may disagree if you like.

So going back to the title of the thread, why exactly do you think we are going in the wrong direction? I mean in your eyes the club is getting progessively worse and worse and has a very bleak future. Right?

Guest bobthemag

I see them (ashley and lamb chop) as inept wankers who have almost destroyed a football club I've supported for over 40 years due to a whole series of bad decisions.

It's comments like this that make me :facepalm: about some of our support, football is emotive, but after 12-18months you'd hope that people would start to get a sense of perspective, particularly when other events in the footballing world unfold and shed some light on the underlying situation at every business.

Footballing-wise, there have been some horrendous mistakes made, especially the attempt to sign Harry Redknapp (wtf?!) then the doomed appointment of KK; however, it is noticeable that their decisions are improving (even if it's just because they are making fewer of them).

Business-wise, we can only really go off the numbers published at the end of every year, as we all know that the club have deliberately misled the supporters in the past. To date, the financial situation is improving, so I find it hard to fault Ashley for those decisions.

So what's the problem with HTL's point???

The "whole series of bad decisions" made by the "inept wankers" led a lot of people to draw the conclusion that they were deliberately trying to destroy the club.

The ineptitude is beyond question. Drawing the conclusion that were deliberately trying to destroy the club is laughable.

1. Did ashley deliberately buy the football club without understanding exactly what he was buying?

2. Did ashley deliberately appoint Keegan?

3. Did ashley deliberately install a system that would not possibly work with a manager of that temperament?

4. Did ashley deliberately back Wise over Keegan?

5. Did ashley deliberately appoint a bloody joke as a manager?

6. Did ashley deliberately appoint a coach as a manager?

7. Did ashley deliberately appoint Shearer as manager, a man has no previous experience, thereby showing his panic at the situation?

9. Did ashley deliberately put the club up for sale then withdraw it from sale more than once, undermining the entire football club?

10. Did ashley deliberately see a surplus of money from transfer dealings during Jan 2009?

11. Was the club relegated by 1 point at the end of that season?

Whether the b****** deliberately set out to ruin the club is not the point because nobody said that anyway, but his actions have lead to almost total ruin of the football club and there is no excuse.

It wasn't just his actions though, you can't simply ignore what went on beforehand under Shepherd where we borrowed heavily and sooner or later the belt would have to be tightened. You can't just roll Souness and Allardyce's time here under a carpet when so much damage was inflicted by these appointments.

I never have. I know they were bad appointments, especially sourness. I've said so numerous times.

I also know that those who are somehow supporting ashley now are the same people (like mandiarse) who were telling everyone to give sourness time to build his own team. I also remember that when I posted I didn't want the Board to back Sourness with money in the January window I was slated and told that the Board HAD to stump up the cash otherwise they would be confirmed as being s****.

I do understand that people want to whinge on about the previous Board because we had a good team but didn't win the title, especially after only signing 3 players in 2003 when we should have apparently signed half a team, but everything Ashley has done has been far worse than anything done by the previous Board.

So what? The previous board sold up and f***ed off with the money because they wanted to. No one held a gun to their head otherwise they could still be here now...and in fact if they wanted to invest some cash they could buy it back same way as Ashley did. But they won't because they don't want to put their money in Newcastle and neither does anyone else. Until someone does it's pointless whingeing at the only bloke who's putting anything in no matter how reluctantly he's doing it.

how much are supporters putting in ?

How many people on here go to games

If you mean what the club collects annually in Matchday revenues it's not known for this season yet. When we were in the Premiership it was between £30m and £35m every year between 2005 and 2008.

Edit: On your second question - don't live locally any more so go to about 5 home games a season.

don't supporters put more money into the club than Mike Ashleys says he is doing ?

Supporters won't get it back like he will do when he sells too.

Does he not realise that dropping down a league has hit revenue ?

Re quantity of supporters' money vs Ashley's money, I think that season on season it's currently a close-run thing, but it's a bit of a daft argument in any case. And there's no way he'll ever get back all the money he's put it into the club. Hell, he was going to sell up last year at a £150 million loss (four or five years' Premier League matchday revenue).

Meanwhile, if you happen to know any billionaires who want to better the amount Ashley's currently putting in, please sit them down for a beer and try to persuade them to buy the club.

but hasn't Lambias said Ashley has put in more money than anybody else ?

He will want it back as well if he can.

Guest bobthemag

I see them (ashley and lamb chop) as inept wankers who have almost destroyed a football club I've supported for over 40 years due to a whole series of bad decisions.

It's comments like this that make me :facepalm: about some of our support, football is emotive, but after 12-18months you'd hope that people would start to get a sense of perspective, particularly when other events in the footballing world unfold and shed some light on the underlying situation at every business.

Footballing-wise, there have been some horrendous mistakes made, especially the attempt to sign Harry Redknapp (wtf?!) then the doomed appointment of KK; however, it is noticeable that their decisions are improving (even if it's just because they are making fewer of them).

Business-wise, we can only really go off the numbers published at the end of every year, as we all know that the club have deliberately misled the supporters in the past. To date, the financial situation is improving, so I find it hard to fault Ashley for those decisions.

The "whole series of bad decisions" made by the "inept wankers" led a lot of people to draw the conclusion that they were deliberately trying to destroy the club.

The ineptitude is beyond question. Drawing the conclusion that were deliberately trying to destroy the club is laughable.

1. Did ashley deliberately buy the football club without understanding exactly what he was buying?

3. Did ashley deliberately install a system that would not possibly work with a manager of that temperament?

7. Did ashley deliberately appoint Shearer as manager, a man has no previous experience, thereby showing his panic at the situation?

9. Did ashley deliberately put the club up for sale then withdraw it from sale more than once, undermining the entire football club?

10. Did ashley deliberately see a surplus of money from transfer dealings during Jan 2009?

Whether the b****** deliberately set out to ruin the club is not the point because nobody said that anyway, but his actions have lead to almost total ruin of the football club and there is no excuse.

It wasn't just his actions though, you can't simply ignore what went on beforehand under Shepherd where we borrowed heavily and sooner or later the belt would have to be tightened. You can't just roll Souness and Allardyce's time here under a carpet when so much damage was inflicted by these appointments.

I never have. I know they were bad appointments, especially sourness. I've said so numerous times.

I also know that those who are somehow supporting ashley now are the same people (like mandiarse) who were telling everyone to give sourness time to build his own team. I also remember that when I posted I didn't want the Board to back Sourness with money in the January window I was slated and told that the Board HAD to stump up the cash otherwise they would be confirmed as being s****.

I do understand that people want to whinge on about the previous Board because we had a good team but didn't win the title, especially after only signing 3 players in 2003 when we should have apparently signed half a team, but everything Ashley has done has been far worse than anything done by the previous Board.

So what? The previous board sold up and f***ed off with the money because they wanted to. No one held a gun to their head otherwise they could still be here now...and in fact if they wanted to invest some cash they could buy it back same way as Ashley did. But they won't because they don't want to put their money in Newcastle and neither does anyone else. Until someone does it's pointless whingeing at the only bloke who's putting anything in no matter how reluctantly he's doing it.

If you mean what the club collects annually in Matchday revenues it's not known for this season yet. When we were in the Premiership it was between £30m and £35m every year between 2005 and 2008.

Edit: On your second question - don't live locally any more so go to about 5 home games a season.

don't supporters put more money into the club than Mike Ashleys says he is doing ?

In that respect the supporters always have put more money in than the owners, the only difference now is that the current owner is putting something in himself.

Explain how he will get back what must now be well over £250million when he sells the club?

And yes it may well have occurred to him that revenue has dropped since relegation.

did he not know this himself last year ?

Re quantity of supporters' money vs Ashley's money, I think that season on season it's currently a close-run thing, but it's a bit of a daft argument in any case. And there's no way he'll ever get back all the money he's put it into the club. Hell, he was going to sell up last year at a £150 million loss (four or five years' Premier League matchday revenue).

Meanwhile, if you happen to know any billionaires who want to better the amount Ashley's currently putting in, please sit them down for a beer and try to persuade them to buy the club.

Ashley has put in more money than anybody else though. :lol:

Guest bobthemag

supporters have supported the club longer than Mike Ashley has  :lol:

Guest Roger Kint

Holy crap, STM you have absolutely ZERO financial common sense whatsoever :mackems:

He's right man, surely money obtained from selling players which are not spent on getting players in, are all going into Ashley's pockets!    :pow:

:fishing:

Someone will actually think that ;D

supporters have supported the club longer than Mike Ashley has  :lol:

Eh?

I think with Ashley's backing we could go far especially as it seems he does have a strategic. A long-term plan, however like i said Lambias (what the f*** is he doing at the club stil) should be rid off as soon as possible.

Get a person with footballing knowledge who can help Ashley invest the money wisely.

Stay Ashley, out Lambias. That's the only way to go, another ownership change will only stir us into more trouble to be honest.

Like who?

I don't have an insight on english football directors or whatever they should be called. But there must be some people with footballing knowledge who are honest and have a sense of how to control a club from a chairman position?

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/1716/rido280x42042748a1p.jpg

Like who?

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/1716/rido280x42042748a1p.jpg

Good shout. :thup:

He left in June though, before the transfer window which gave Wise so much power. Might have been different if he had stayed on.

And sure Ashley lied to the fans, but how long does it take before everyone gets over it? And haven't you lied before, its just double morale if you don't like him because he lied. At the end of the day it's like I said, another ownership will only set us back another year, why don't we just stick behind him and at least see where it goes?

I'm a supporter just like you are, but its been over a year and a half since the Keegan debacle and some people just doesn't get over it.

I wasn't arguing the Ashley point, he's putting the cash in where nobody else will I can't complain to much about him other than the mistakes made with management to have us sitting in the Championship. I was complaining about Mort coming back.

I wasn't arguing the Ashley point, he's putting the cash in where nobody else will I can't complain to much about him other than the mistakes made with management to have us sitting in the Championship. I was complaining about Mort coming back.

Likewise.

Likewise.

The case of Mort shows how easily people are won over by a good communicator.

I must have missed out on something? Did Mort lie in the tribunal? Hadn't Mort already left the club and had nothing to do with the tribunal case?

The only thing that comes to my mind is about the full backing of Keegan in the transfer window. But when he was't fully backed in the summer of 2008 he had already left the club no?

The one thing I can't get is that Shley brought in Shearer last season because he didin't think or have faith in Hughton being able to keep us up, yet he wants him as manager next season.

It's because he doesn't really know what the hell he's doing, man. What on earth was the point in appointing Shearer, ffs? Is he really that deluded? It was a good decision when he didn't offer him the job permanently but I'd have been happier again had he gone out and appointed an experienced manager. Nowt against Hughton, who is doing a decent job under difficult circumstances.

It does look like Ashley is getting better, but that's not saying much on previous performance. 

Here's something....

Mike,

I already have a career job that I'll have to give up, but I love the club so I'll do it. I'll sign a 9 year employment contract with Newcastle United for £60k pa to help you out with your PR. Annual increases in line with inflation and a car will do it. You'll easily get that back from the increased attendance revenue just by me preventing Derek putting his foot in it every time he opens his mouth.

hang on htl, wasn't the appointment very reminiscent of appointing another of our ex faves into the managers seat without any experience when fighting a relegation battle.

Speak for yourself. I don't have any favourites, I grew out of that by about age 12, the club is all that is important.

If the club is all that is important to you then I'm not sure how you can come to the conclusion that immediate success on the field is anyway near as important as survival off it?!

You think I'm after IMMEDIATE success when I've been supporting this club since 1968?

Mate, if you're going to reply at least think past the knee-jerk dig before you do it. I haven't demanded immediate success, or even just success, that's the game of those who wanted rid of the previous Board. You know, the people who weren't happy with 3 x top 5 finishes and with signing 3 players in 2003. They are the one's who were demanding success.

I'm critical of Ashley and co because their decisions led directly to the club being relegated, therefore placing into jeopardy the very existence of the football club.

Not being relegated from the PL last season is very much tied to the survival of the club but it happened, in reality there is a direct relationship between what happens on the field of play and what happens off it. However, my position on Ashley is obviously nothing to do with calls for immediate success. I guess you must mistakenly believe my annoyance that Ashley brought about relegation is somehow a call from me for immediate success. After saying that, I believe immediate promotion is definitely tied to the future of the club. You may disagree if you like.

So going back to the title of the thread, why exactly do you think we are going in the wrong direction? I mean in your eyes the club is getting progessively worse and worse and has a very bleak future. Right?

Here's some advice.

Stick to what I did actually say.

I must have missed out on something? Did Mort lie in the tribunal? Hadn't Mort already left the club and had nothing to do with the tribunal case?

The only thing that comes to my mind is about the full backing of Keegan in the transfer window. But when he was't fully backed in the summer of 2008 he had already left the club no?

No you're wrong about Mort.

It was questions and not statements. Sorry if it was written in bad english, but feel it was quite obvious it was questions as there was questionmark after the sentence.

It was questions and not statements. Sorry if it was written in bad english, but feel it was quite obvious it was questions as there was questionmark after the sentence.

No bother, it was just an answer to your question. :thup:

Mort was heavily involved in what happened & what went wrong.

Mort had gone by the time of the tribunal that bit is true but  the points that were raised at the tribunal were about actions that were taken when Mort was in charge and in control. Everything was in place and decided by the time Llambias came in which meant and was proved by the tribunal that when everything kicked off it was down to Mort.

Here's something....

Mike,

Here's some advice.

Stick to what I did actually say.

I know what you said, I'm just trying to draw out your views on the club's by asking a very relevant question, care to oblige? Genuinely interested to know if you have anything positive to say about the club in its current state.

Guest Howaythetoon

Chris Hughton and his team are steering Newcastle United in the right direction, a direction from which Mike Ashley and co took us away from in the first place.

Chris Hughton and his team are steering Newcastle United in the right direction, a direction from which Mike Ashley and co took us away from in the first place.

:lol:

So it's his fault when it goes wrong and someone else is responsible when it goes right?

:lol: