Is Mike Ashley steering Newcastle United in the right direction?

LooneyToonArmy

Guest fraser

Keegan was a Director of Football once himself, and came into the club knowing that he would be working under that kind of system, so if he had a problem with it he can hardly blame anyone else.

For goodness' sake, the opinion of the tribunal was clearly that he didn't know that and more than that, that the club misled him like it misled many others, including its supporters ; that's why he was vindicated on this absolutely crucial point and was awarded.

Flogging a dead horse, again, with this.

how did this thread turn into another keegan debate, im sick of those, ashleys crony's cocked up but keegan also could have handled it better imo now can we discuss whether ashley has learned from this and is ready to do the right thing for the club in the future rather than focus on the mistakes of the past :rant:

Guest Brummiemag

Keegan was a Director of Football once himself, and came into the club knowing that he would be working under that kind of system, so if he had a problem with it he can hardly blame anyone else.

For goodness' sake, the opinion of the tribunal was clearly that he didn't know that and more than that, that the club misled him like it misled many others, including its supporters ; that's why he was vindicated on this absolutely crucial point and was awarded.

Flogging a dead horse, again, with this.

Sadly some people would rather trust Ashley, a man who has done nothing for this club, rather than Keegan, a man who has done a hell of a lot for this club. And that is despite Keegan being vindicated in a tribunal.

Its relevant to the thread because I just cannot believe that a man who has misled Keegan and the supporters is about to do the right thing for the club. Happy to be proven wrong though

Sadly some people would rather trust Ashley, a man who has done nothing for this club, rather than Keegan, a man who has done a hell of a lot for this club. And that is despite Keegan being vindicated in a tribunal.

Its relevant to the thread because I just cannot believe that a man who has misled Keegan and the supporters is about to do the right thing for the club. Happy to be proven wrong though

We're heading back towards the Premiership and even if that's down to luck it doesn't matter as you make your own luck.  We are heading in the right direction and I don't think anybody can say anything other than that.

We're heading back towards the Premiership and even if that's down to luck it doesn't matter as you make your own luck.  We are heading in the right direction and I don't think anybody can say anything other than that.

But we shouldn't have been here in the first place man.

In all fairness Ashley did have a very good plan to run the club when he took over. I don't think there was one supporter who complaind about his plans for the club. All this talk about ashley gambling is complete bollolks. it looked as though he had a plan that couldn't go wrong, "buy young talant with his new scouting system" and appointed the greatest ever manager newcastle has ever had"

but one thing is for sure, his scouting system was and is not a mistake, but appointing a manager like Keegan who is great, but also a huge drama queen was the biggest mistake he could make. he needed a man who understould what he was going to do in his longterm buisness plan. And I think Keegan wanted instant rusaults. Keegan and ashley werent on the same page at all, so Keegan left, fans got crazy, and club went down.

I know I'll get slated for this, but give Ashley a couple of years to get used to owning a club like newcastle and he will understand what it's all about. I think his ideas are very good, and the prospect of cleaning our debt will benift as "BIG TIME" in the future.

After all owning a club like Newcastle must be the toughest job in the world. 

In all fairness Ashley did have a very good plan to run the club when he took over. I don't think there was one supporter who complaind about his plans for the club. All this talk about ashley gambling is complete bollolks. it looked as though he had a plan that couldn't go wrong, "buy young talant with his new scouting system" and appointed the greatest ever manager newcastle has ever had"

but one thing is for sure, his scouting system was and is not a mistake, but appointing a manager like Keegan who is great, but also a huge drama queen was the biggest mistake he could make. he needed a man who understould what he was going to do in his longterm buisness plan. And I think Keegan wanted instant rusaults. Keegan and ashley werent on the same page at all, so Keegan left, fans got crazy, and club went down.

I know I'll get slated for this, but give Ashley a couple of years to get used to owning a club like newcastle and he will understand what it's all about. I think his ideas are very good, and the prospect of cleaning our debt will benift as "BIG TIME" in the future.

He's only had almost 3 years, how much longer does he need?

Guest fraser

But we shouldn't have been here in the first place man.

I agree but we can't do anything about that, we can only try to get back up and stay in the Premiership.

So a thread title of "Given the accepted and proven mendacity and incompetence of the Ashley regime, does anybody believe that he has belatedly learned from his obvious blunders (that brought us to this pass) and will restore the club to Premier League status?", who agrees?

So a thread title of "Given the accepted and proven mendacity and incompetence of the Ashley regime, does anybody believe that he has belatedly learned from his obvious blunders (that brought us to this pass) and will restore the club to Premier League status?", who agrees?

:lol:

Something like that but it doesn't fit.

Guest malandro

So did the titanic.

How long do you think it’s going to take to clear £150m of debt, and more importantly where is the money going to come from?

So did the titanic.

How long do you think its going to take to clear £150m of debt, and more importantly where is the money going to come from?

Why do we need to clear all of it? ???

Guest malandro

So did the titanic.

How long do you think it’s going to take to clear £150m of debt, and more importantly where is the money going to come from?

Because TrEe reckons clearing the debt will benefit the club BIG TIME in the future. 

well hasnt he been tolerable this season, major fuckups not really around willing to spend cash in jan to ensure promotion if llambias could fuck off everything would be fine

Because TrEe reckons clearing the debt will benefit the club BIG TIME in the future. 

We don't need to clear any of it as it's not costing us anything, we do need to balance the books though if we're going to benefit from the £20 million Ashley has promised to put in.

So did the titanic.

How long do you think its going to take to clear £150m of debt, and more importantly where is the money going to come from?

That's not much of a reason really. :lol:

Why do you think we need to clear it all?

So did the titanic.

if it was to a bank then yes it would due to savings in interest but as its to ashley and interest free theres no cost

Guest malandro

well hasnt he been tolerable this season, major fuckups not really around willing to spend cash in jan to ensure promotion if llambias could f*** off everything would be fine

I’d say the renaming of the ground was a fuck up, as was starting season without a permanent manager.

The meagre spend in January is given far too much credit. Ashley spent the absolute bare minimum he thought he could get away with to cover any possible injuries problems. When we were looking good for promotion under KK the board went out and spent serious money on Andy Cole, who went on to serve us well in the PL until he was sold for a 400% profit. This time we went out and bought Best for next to nought, we couldn’t even compete with Wigan for Moses.

Guest malandro

So did the titanic.

I’m not sure we do, although it wouldn’t be a healthy position for the club to be carrying £150m of debt forevermore. However, I’d be amazed if Ashley didn’t want his money back. I appreciate you think he’s happy to write off £150m for the good of NUFC, but won’t actually do it for some strange reason. We’ll just have to agree to disagree until 2012? when the accounts for next year are filed.

So did the titanic.

Im not sure we do, although it wouldnt be a healthy position for the club to be carrying £150m of debt forevermore. However, Id be amazed if Ashley didnt want his money back. I appreciate you think hes happy to write off £150m for the good of NUFC, but wont actually do it for some strange reason. Well just have to agree to disagree until 2012? when the accounts for next year are filed.

Like that hasn't been explained to you at least a dozen times. :lol:

Guest malandro

Like that hasn't been explained to you at least a dozen times. :lol:

And why is that?   :rolleyes:

Because he's a bit daft & doesn't get it.

Not the in case the club goes bust nonsense again. If there was no debt he wouldn’t be liable for it would he? And of course your suggesting he’s happy to lose £150m by never having the loans repaid, but not happy to lose the same £150m if we went bust. 

Running a football club isn't the same as running a normal business, and it's in this area that Ashley and Llambias still need to smarten up a bit. A football club is part business, part community institution, with fans rather than customers. There's a political element to the role which I don't think Ashley, with his bulldozing style, was ready for. He and Llambias still struggle on the PR side.

The best recent example of that was the stadium re-naming issue. It's actually not a bad idea, whose time will eventually come here and elsewhere, but the timing and style of the annoucement was a disaster. He put a weapon in the hands of his enemies and very quickly had to retract in farcical style. If he waited a few months, it could have been a lot better. Still difficult, but better.

Freddie Fletcher was a Chief Exec who really knew how to run a football club, and we could do with someone of that calibre. I've nothing against Llambias, who doesn't deserve the abuse he gets, but he does come across as a front man rather than a leader.