Is Mike Ashley steering Newcastle United in the right direction?

LooneyToonArmy

He's hardly 'entirely to blame', that would be to suggest he came into the club with everything financially OK. Which he clearly didn't.

"For that" I said.  Not for everything.

I'll be glad to cede the point if you show me the substantial outgoings that remain as a shepherd legacy.  Or the additional income Ashley has generated that Shepherd failed to.

It is obvious for all to see.

Whilst he was largely responsible last season with some bad decisionmaking, the fact that the following has occured leads most people to believe he has learned from his mistakes.

He could have reduced the salary commitments further by selling more players.............he didnt.

He could have called in the administrators when all was against him....................he didnt

He could have refused to back his manager with signings in January..............he didnt

He could have refused to pour more money into the club to pay salaries in January.....................he didnt

This season has largely been reasonably quiet off the park, wouldnt you say? Less interference and allowing the manager and the players to get on with their jobs,

Like I said in my previous post, he has learned a few things and the fruits are there for all to see. Top of the CCC. Allegedly, Middlesbrough were a better run club than us and look where they are in comparison. They will probably not make the play offs. I think a great deal of the clubs problems stemmed from the Shepherd era, especially on the financial side of things and Ashley, for some time now, has been covering those loses. Time will tell whether the improvement continues but I would call ytou a liar if you said to me that you would have expected us to be in the position we are now, if asked for an opinion back in August.

Credit where credit is due and the next 12 months will be crucial for this cluib. The start has been made and maybe, just maybe, sensible financial control allied with shrewd signings could see us continue to improve over the next few years.

they will have to be shrewd if the reported wage levels are anything to go by, do you think the recent signings are good enough for the premiership, do you know the length of their contracts ?

Bob, we wont actually know until we see the likes of Routledge, Williamson etc play in the EPL. What I will say is that the likes of Dann, Johnson at Birmingham, Lescott at City, Baines at Everton and quite a few others, have come from lower divisions and done well in the PL so it is not beyond the realm of mpossibility that our signings will also succeed. Furthermore, if you look at the teams near the bottom of the PL, I dont think any of them are that much better than us, if at all. Also, there are plenty of good quality players around who would more than likely jump at the chance of coming to NUFC at realistic prices and whilst most peoplke on here would like to see Arsenal type football played, realism says that workmanlike performances are the order of the day under Hughton and that hasnt done the likes of Birmingham, Villa, Everton any harm this season at all. Maybe we can see a sim ilar response next season.

I've seen these players, I'm not going to watch the smoggies or anybody else, as you are telling people to do, but I don't think they are as good as the players he has sold. What do you think of them ?

You are probably right there, to a certain extent. However, the players who left, no doubt, with the undoubted skill they had, failed miserably to mput that skill to good use for the club. Ask yourself, how many have suceeded since they moved! Given, Milner are the only ones I can think of. Viduka retired, Owen spent most of the season benched as did Beye, Martins at Wolfsburg? What has he done there? Even Edgar at Burnley cant get a game there. So, as for their undoubted skill, yes, they were skillful but only when they felt like it which wasnt very bloody often, was it? The players coming in have substantially less salaries, points to prove and who knows yet, maybe  huge successes in the PL. I would much rather be top of the CCC at the moment than bottom of the PL. Your comment about managers was very relevant and certainly a major mistake by Ashley last year, which so far, he has learned in his backing of Hughton. I actually think CH will do well next year and believe he deserves a great deal of credit for this season's success. Ashley put his faith in him and he has rewarded that faith, so far. Lets look ahead and not back.

I don't think Hughton will do well, especially with one hand tied behind his back and being forced to buy cheap players. Ashley lost his best chance of succeeding when he lost Keegan, he then had a chance to rectify it by backing and appointing Shearer, if only to unite everybody in the short term, but he blew that as well.

He had the support of supporters at first but he has lost it himself.

Take your point if you mean uniting the fans in the short term, but we don't know whether all the players would have united under Shearer. Ashley has made many mistakes but I can't see a scrap of evidence that rejecting Shearer was one of them.

Listening to the anti Ashley chanting at games and feeling, it will take a lot to change that.

Doesn't address what I said. What evidence is there that rejecting Shearer was a mistake? The fans have certainly had a bit of a chant about Ashley but does that mean rejecting Shearer was a mistake? Fans shout about a lot of things. There was a lot of moaning about Caroll and Jonas (and others) earlier in the season, so does that prove that Hughton sticking by them was a mistake? 

Would you be convinced Hughton knew what he was doing if one week he praised Carroll & Jonas, saying they were the best players we had in the squad and we were going to build the team around them, then dropped them the next week without saying why and never played them again?

Bringing Alan Shearer back to Newcastle United was the best decision I have made. Alan and his staff did all they could to try and keep us up in the short space of time they had.

Talks are now ongoing between us about how we can take this Club forward again.

It is obvious for all to see.

Whilst he was largely responsible last season with some bad decisionmaking, the fact that the following has occured leads most people to believe he has learned from his mistakes.

He could have reduced the salary commitments further by selling more players.............he didnt.

He could have called in the administrators when all was against him....................he didnt

He could have refused to back his manager with signings in January..............he didnt

He could have refused to pour more money into the club to pay salaries in January.....................he didnt

This season has largely been reasonably quiet off the park, wouldnt you say? Less interference and allowing the manager and the players to get on with their jobs,

Like I said in my previous post, he has learned a few things and the fruits are there for all to see. Top of the CCC. Allegedly, Middlesbrough were a better run club than us and look where they are in comparison. They will probably not make the play offs. I think a great deal of the clubs problems stemmed from the Shepherd era, especially on the financial side of things and Ashley, for some time now, has been covering those loses. Time will tell whether the improvement continues but I would call ytou a liar if you said to me that you would have expected us to be in the position we are now, if asked for an opinion back in August.

Credit where credit is due and the next 12 months will be crucial for this cluib. The start has been made and maybe, just maybe, sensible financial control allied with shrewd signings could see us continue to improve over the next few years.

they will have to be shrewd if the reported wage levels are anything to go by, do you think the recent signings are good enough for the premiership, do you know the length of their contracts ?

Bob, we wont actually know until we see the likes of Routledge, Williamson etc play in the EPL. What I will say is that the likes of Dann, Johnson at Birmingham, Lescott at City, Baines at Everton and quite a few others, have come from lower divisions and done well in the PL so it is not beyond the realm of mpossibility that our signings will also succeed. Furthermore, if you look at the teams near the bottom of the PL, I dont think any of them are that much better than us, if at all. Also, there are plenty of good quality players around who would more than likely jump at the chance of coming to NUFC at realistic prices and whilst most peoplke on here would like to see Arsenal type football played, realism says that workmanlike performances are the order of the day under Hughton and that hasnt done the likes of Birmingham, Villa, Everton any harm this season at all. Maybe we can see a sim ilar response next season.

I've seen these players, I'm not going to watch the smoggies or anybody else, as you are telling people to do, but I don't think they are as good as the players he has sold. What do you think of them ?

You are probably right there, to a certain extent. However, the players who left, no doubt, with the undoubted skill they had, failed miserably to mput that skill to good use for the club. Ask yourself, how many have suceeded since they moved! Given, Milner are the only ones I can think of. Viduka retired, Owen spent most of the season benched as did Beye, Martins at Wolfsburg? What has he done there? Even Edgar at Burnley cant get a game there. So, as for their undoubted skill, yes, they were skillful but only when they felt like it which wasnt very bloody often, was it? The players coming in have substantially less salaries, points to prove and who knows yet, maybe  huge successes in the PL. I would much rather be top of the CCC at the moment than bottom of the PL. Your comment about managers was very relevant and certainly a major mistake by Ashley last year, which so far, he has learned in his backing of Hughton. I actually think CH will do well next year and believe he deserves a great deal of credit for this season's success. Ashley put his faith in him and he has rewarded that faith, so far. Lets look ahead and not back.

I don't think Hughton will do well, especially with one hand tied behind his back and being forced to buy cheap players. Ashley lost his best chance of succeeding when he lost Keegan, he then had a chance to rectify it by backing and appointing Shearer, if only to unite everybody in the short term, but he blew that as well.

He had the support of supporters at first but he has lost it himself.

Take your point if you mean uniting the fans in the short term, but we don't know whether all the players would have united under Shearer. Ashley has made many mistakes but I can't see a scrap of evidence that rejecting Shearer was one of them.

Listening to the anti Ashley chanting at games and feeling, it will take a lot to change that.

Doesn't address what I said. What evidence is there that rejecting Shearer was a mistake? The fans have certainly had a bit of a chant about Ashley but does that mean rejecting Shearer was a mistake? Fans shout about a lot of things. There was a lot of moaning about Caroll and Jonas (and others) earlier in the season, so does that prove that Hughton sticking by them was a mistake? 

Would you be convinced Hughton knew what he was doing if one week he praised Carroll & Jonas, saying they were the best players we had in the squad and we were going to build the team around them, then dropped them the next week and never played them again?

I don't give a toss what Hughton says about his players in public, it's totally irrelevant as most managers talk shyte at times in the media. And what's more I have no idea the extent to which Hughton knows what he is doing, or how much influence he has on what happens on the pitch. I'm just making a ridiculously simple point - that there is no evidence that appointing him instead of Shearer was a mistake.

He's hardly 'entirely to blame', that would be to suggest he came into the club with everything financially OK. Which he clearly didn't.

I'll be glad to cede the point if you show me the substantial outgoings that remain as a shepherd legacy.  Or the additional income Ashley has generated that Shepherd failed to.

Didn't Ashley pay off the 80m debt legacy that Shepherd left? It might still be outstanding but it's saved around £6m a year interest hasn't it?

Gentlemen...........This is a very good discussion with excellent points mooted on both sides but what is evident and not taken from papertalk or rumours is detailed as follows:

1.  Ashley purchased the club without conducting due diligence and it is widely known that he paid off or gave the club an interest free loan for a large proportion of the debt incurred by the previous regime supposedly in ecess of 110 million pounds.

2.  He has admitted to making mistakes and dont forget, he had to also pay off Allardyce and his numerous back up staff who were all Shepherd appointments too andf were taking the club to relegation anyway.

3.  He made a mistake in selecting Keegan and allowed his heart to rule his head. If it was obvious money wasnt available to buy the so called superstars Keegan wanted, he should have sought a different manager and not him.

4.  His appontment of Wise and Co. may have been unwise under Keergan but could have worked under a continental coach, someone like Hiddink or Hitzfeld.

5.  The fact that he appointed Kinnear, Hughton and Shearer last season was a huge mistake as well documented.

However, I doubt anyone on here could foresee in the summer where we are now. Last season, there seemed to be a different problem every week but this year, it has been impressive to see that the administration has quietly gone about its business and allowed the team management and players to quietly go about theirs. The fact that very little other than good reports seem to be emanating from SJP augers well for the future. Noone will know until next season how well Hughton and the team will do. Noone knows whether Ashley will back the team further with decent recruitment.

I personally think that the season after next may well be the crucial one. Will we be financially strong enough to compete further up the league if we survuive next season. I think we will because Ashley seems to have a plan in place not to over commit but to look at younger, more eager players to take the club forward than the mercenaries purchased by previous regimes.

Living within our means for a couple of years and achieving financial stablility is paramount in my opinion and I believe there will be shocks in store for other clubs in the PL over thee next few years because of the over commitments.

Lets just say, Rome wasnt built in a day.

Didn't Ashley pay off the 80m debt legacy that Shepherd left? It might still be outstanding but it's saved around £6m a year interest hasn't it?

Yes.  Some would call that was a sensible decision he deserves credit for.  Others would point out that all loans were repayable the moment the club changed hands and he had no choice in the matter.  He could be charging interest on the loans like other owners though, and I've always given him credit for not doing thatthat.

All of that reinforces the original point though, because that's one of the outgoings we had under Shepherd that we don't have anymore, but "outgoings are still disproportionate to our income" under Ashley despite Shepherd's influence being wiped out.

Look, those people on here who cannot see the woods for the trees (and I dont have to name them) need to understand several points here.

Ashley has admitted to the mistakes and is trying to rectify them

The previous regime took this club to the brink of oblivion. They have to share the blame.

Ashley is trying to put the club on a sound financial footing and I, for one, will be glad to see the back of these so called superstars who have been holding the club for ransom for years.

Rome wasnt built in a day, or in our case, rebuilt. Ashley seems to have decided to keep the club. Love him or hate him, he has backed his current manager and we have had an unexpectedly excellent season. Maybe he has turned the corner and promotion being achieved against everyones expectations. Crucial period will be next season to see whether we can build on it.

I am no Ashley supporter but I find the one eyed opinions of some on this thread to be childish, lacking in knowledge and simply downright unsupportive of the club.

Simple answer to this, if you dont like it, go and support someone else, maybe like Leeds or Middlesbrough, perhaps even Portsmouth, Palace, Chester City, Luton, Hull City or the plethera of other clubs facing financial meltdown in the years to come. We were so close under Shepherd and like it or not, Ashley saved our bacon...............fact.

he had a chance to rectify his mistakes when he appointed KK again but didn't support him.

I imagine quite a lot of people have supported Newcastle for many years, watch them every game home and away, and aren't about to stop  :coolsmiley:

So what mistakes had he made before appointing Keegan?

what planet do you come from ?

So you can't think of any, then?

malandro listed some. Paying big wages and moaning about it later too. What do you think of him losing KK and what do you think of the quality of our recent signings, on long contracts

Ashley's first big mistake was appointing Keegan manager.

Recent signings weren't bad at all, given the circs, and none of them are on particularly long contracts. Allows them a chance in the PL, with a two years left on the contract if we want to sell them on at that point.

what is evident and not taken from papertalk or rumours is detailed as follows:

I think you truly are deluded if you actually believe what you are typing is in any way fact. I don't think there's a single bit in what you posted that isn't rumour, opinion or simply made up. I'm still waiting for that list of mistakes Ashley has admitted to by the way.

Rome was already built, but someone was fiddling while it burned.

Gentlemen...........This is a very good discussion with excellent points mooted on both sides but what is evident and not taken from papertalk or rumours is detailed as follows....

If you're going to state the facts, less florid, opinionated language is probably called for.  They speak for themselves....

1. Ashley purchased the club without conducting due diligence.

2. The purchase meant all outstanding loans (£70m) were payable instantly.

3. Ashley loaned the club the money to do this at zero interest.

4. He has extended those loans since.

5. He claims the loans now exceed £146m.

6. He hired Keegan and misled him as to what his duties would be.

7. Whatever money was available Ashley entrusted to Wise ahead of Keegan.

8. He removed Keegan and appointed Kinnear, Hughton and Shearer in a single season.

Last season, there seemed to be a different problem every week but this year, it has been impressive to see that the administration has quietly gone about its business and allowed the team management and players to quietly go about theirs. The fact that very little other than good reports seem to be emanating from SJP augers well for the future. Noone will know until next season how well Hughton and the team will do. Noone knows whether Ashley will back the team further with decent recruitment.

Again, You mean apart from the court case where he admitted he's a liar, the fraud investigation, the naked streaking across the pitch, the BBC program about unethical business practices, the disastarous announcement that the stadium would be renamed and frequently appearing in the media to congratulate themselves on the job they've done while insulting 'unrealistic' fans.  I don't call that quietly going about business.

I personally think that the season after next may well be the crucial one. Will we be financially strong enough to compete further up the league if we survuive next season. I think we will because Ashley seems to have a plan in place not to over commit but to look at younger, more eager players to take the club forward than the mercenaries purchased by previous regimes.

Living within our means for a couple of years and achieving financial stablility is paramount in my opinion and I believe there will be shocks in store for other clubs in the PL over thee next few years because of the over commitments.

What do you perceive to be living within our means?  Ashley paying in £20m a year as he said he'd always planned or the club turning a profit off it's own back.  What would you do with that profit?  Pay off loans or reinvest it in the squad?

Guest bobthemag

Gentlemen...........This is a very good discussion with excellent points mooted on both sides but what is evident and not taken from papertalk or rumours is detailed as follows:

1.  Ashley purchased the club without conducting due diligence and it is widely known that he paid off or gave the club an interest free loan for a large proportion of the debt incurred by the previous regime supposedly in ecess of 110 million pounds.

2.  He has admitted to making mistakes and dont forget, he had to also pay off Allardyce and his numerous back up staff who were all Shepherd appointments too andf were taking the club to relegation anyway.

3.  He made a mistake in selecting Keegan and allowed his heart to rule his head. If it was obvious money wasnt available to buy the so called superstars Keegan wanted, he should have sought a different manager and not him.

4.  His appontment of Wise and Co. may have been unwise under Keergan but could have worked under a continental coach, someone like Hiddink or Hitzfeld.

5.  The fact that he appointed Kinnear, Hughton and Shearer last season was a huge mistake as well documented.

However, I doubt anyone on here could foresee in the summer where we are now. Last season, there seemed to be a different problem every week but this year, it has been impressive to see that the administration has quietly gone about its business and allowed the team management and players to quietly go about theirs. The fact that very little other than good reports seem to be emanating from SJP augers well for the future. Noone will know until next season how well Hughton and the team will do. Noone knows whether Ashley will back the team further with decent recruitment.

lots of speculation in there.

The new players aren't good enough. Keegan saved us from going down when he came in and we would not have been relegated if we had kept players that have been sold and he would not have wanted to leave.

How would the appointment of Wise been different under a different manager, he would have recommended the same players only to a different manager, or signed them regardless as he did.

Guest bobthemag

Look, those people on here who cannot see the woods for the trees (and I dont have to name them) need to understand several points here.

The previous regime took this club to the brink of oblivion. They have to share the blame.

Ashley is trying to put the club on a sound financial footing and I, for one, will be glad to see the back of these so called superstars who have been holding the club for ransom for years.

Rome wasnt built in a day, or in our case, rebuilt. Ashley seems to have decided to keep the club. Love him or hate him, he has backed his current manager and we have had an unexpectedly excellent season. Maybe he has turned the corner and promotion being achieved against everyones expectations. Crucial period will be next season to see whether we can build on it.

I am no Ashley supporter but I find the one eyed opinions of some on this thread to be childish, lacking in knowledge and simply downright unsupportive of the club.

Simple answer to this, if you dont like it, go and support someone else, maybe like Leeds or Middlesbrough, perhaps even Portsmouth, Palace, Chester City, Luton, Hull City or the plethera of other clubs facing financial meltdown in the years to come. We were so close under Shepherd and like it or not, Ashley saved our bacon...............fact.

he had a chance to rectify his mistakes when he appointed KK again but didn't support him.

I imagine quite a lot of people have supported Newcastle for many years, watch them every game home and away, and aren't about to stop  :coolsmiley:

malandro listed some. Paying big wages and moaning about it later too. What do you think of him losing KK and what do you think of the quality of our recent signings, on long contracts

Recent signings weren't bad at all, given the circs, and none of them are on particularly long contracts. Allows them a chance in the PL, with a two years left on the contract if we want to sell them on at that point.

If someone will buy them. Do you know how long their contracts are ?

Guest Brummiemag

No, Ashleys mistake was not in appointing Keegan, but in the shameful, deceitful way he treated him. How can anyone trust him or believe a word he says after that?

If someone will buy them. Do you know how long their contracts are ?

http://www.nufc.com/2009-10html/squad.html

Fraser Forster is the only player at the club contracted for over 3 more years.

No, Ashleys mistake was not in appointing Keegan, but in the shameful, deceitful way he treated him. How can anyone trust him or believe a word he says after that?

I'd say Keegan was the one who it's difficult to trust. It's interesting that there doesn't seem to have been a stampede for his managerial services, since he left.

I'd say Keegan was the one who it's difficult to trust. It's interesting that there doesn't seem to have been a stampede for his managerial services, since he left.

or any idea of the players he wanted that the club said no to..............except zalyatte (?)

:facepalm:

Read THE PREMIER LEAGUE MANAGER'S ARBITRATION TRIBUNAL report...

http://videos.icnetwork.co.uk/nejournal/kevinkeegan.pdf

Legendary player and great manager but I agree just a bit too "sugary sweet nice" to fully trust.

Always loved wooing the masses with his emotional England/Scouser/Geordie thing but ultimately proved that like the rest of them he was only in it for himself and the money.

Legendary player and great manager but I agree just a bit too "sugary sweet nice" to fully trust.

Always loved wooing the masses with his emotional England/Scouser/Geordie thing but ultimately proved that like the rest of them he was only in it for himself and the money.

Keegan walked away with less than Allardyce or Souness.

Of course he wanted the money but he took the club to arbitration (and won) to clear his name of ridiculous notions like those you and Cronky perpetuate despite the facts.

Guest Brummiemag

Unbelievable that after all thats happened that some people would prefer to trust Ashley rather than Keegan. Words fail me

Of course he wanted the money but he took the club to arbitration (and won) to clear his name of ridiculous notions like those you and Cronky perpetuate despite the facts.

Honestly,just give up mate. Some would prefer to believe nonsense.

Sorry for yawning when I read this.

Why don't you just assasinate Ashley or something and give us all a rest.

Sorry for yawning when I read this.

Why don't you just assasinate Ashley or something and give us all a rest.

Just stating the facts.

I find it incredible people are able to ignore them.