Is Mike Ashley steering Newcastle United in the right direction?

LooneyToonArmy

Like that hasn't been explained to you at least a dozen times. :lol:

And why is that?   :rolleyes:

Because he's a bit daft & doesn't get it.

Not the in case the club goes bust nonsense again. If there was no debt he wouldnt be liable for it would he? And of course your suggesting hes happy to lose £150m by never having the loans repaid, but not happy to lose the same £150m if we went bust. 

What? :lol:

Guest malandro

:lol:

Let’s see if you’re giggling in a few years time.  Because if he does want the loans repaid (and you have no evidence at all that he doesn’t) the future for NUFC will almost certainly be about watching crap players try to avoid relegation season after season. Hilarious.

Guest malandro

Not the in case the club goes bust nonsense again. If there was no debt he wouldn’t be liable for it would he? And of course your suggesting he’s happy to lose £150m by never having the loans repaid, but not happy to lose the same £150m if we went bust. 

It very simple.  Loans that don’t exist don’t have to be repaid, even if the club goes bust. 

Lets see if youre giggling in a few years time.  Because if he does want the loans repaid (and you have no evidence at all that he doesnt) the future for NUFC will almost certainly be about watching crap players try to avoid relegation season after season. Hilarious.

We have no evidence that he wants the loans repaid and the only evidence we do have is that he hasn't taken anything yet.

Not the in case the club goes bust nonsense again. If there was no debt he wouldnt be liable for it would he? And of course your suggesting hes happy to lose £150m by never having the loans repaid, but not happy to lose the same £150m if we went bust. 

It very simple.  Loans that dont exist dont have to be repaid, even if the club goes bust. 

I give up. :lol:

In all fairness Ashley did have a very good plan to run the club when he took over. I don't think there was one supporter who complaind about his plans for the club. All this talk about ashley gambling is complete bollolks. it looked as though he had a plan that couldn't go wrong, "buy young talant with his new scouting system" and appointed the greatest ever manager newcastle has ever had"

but one thing is for sure, his scouting system was and is not a mistake, but appointing a manager like Keegan who is great, but also a huge drama queen was the biggest mistake he could make. he needed a man who understould what he was going to do in his longterm buisness plan. And I think Keegan wanted instant rusaults. Keegan and ashley werent on the same page at all, so Keegan left, fans got crazy, and club went down.

I know I'll get slated for this, but give Ashley a couple of years to get used to owning a club like newcastle and he will understand what it's all about. I think his ideas are very good, and the prospect of cleaning our debt will benift as "BIG TIME" in the future.

After all owning a club like Newcastle must be the toughest job in the world. 

He's only had almost 3 years, how much longer does he need?

well hasnt he been tolerable this season, major fuckups not really around willing to spend cash in jan to ensure promotion if llambias could f*** off everything would be fine

I’d say the renaming of the ground was a fuck up, as was starting season without a permanent manager.

The meagre spend in January is given far too much credit. Ashley spent the absolute bare minimum he thought he could get away with to cover any possible injuries problems. When we were looking good for promotion under KK the board went out and spent serious money on Andy Cole, who went on to serve us well in the PL until he was sold for a 400% profit. This time we went out and bought Best for next to nought, we couldn’t even compete with Wigan for Moses.

Or, looked at without the gosh-how-I-miss-my-Fweddie glasses on, during that transfer window we were probably the most active club in the top two divisions in terms of getting players in.

Guest malandro

Let’s see if you’re giggling in a few years time.  Because if he does want the loans repaid (and you have no evidence at all that he doesn’t) the future for NUFC will almost certainly be about watching crap players try to avoid relegation season after season. Hilarious.

We have no evidence that he wants the loans repaid and the only evidence we do have is that he hasn't taken anything yet.

The whole point of a loan is that the lender wants their money back, so if he doesn’t want the money back why loan the club the money? Why not just invest it and be done with it?

Lets see if youre giggling in a few years time.  Because if he does want the loans repaid (and you have no evidence at all that he doesnt) the future for NUFC will almost certainly be about watching crap players try to avoid relegation season after season. Hilarious.

The whole point of a loan is that the lender wants their money back, so if he doesnt want the money back why loan the club the money? Why not just invest it and be done with it?

Here comes attempt number 13.........

The whole point of a loan is that the lender wants their money back, so if he doesnt want the money back why loan the club the money? Why not just invest it and be done with it?

That's been answered already.

Guest malandro

In all fairness Ashley did have a very good plan to run the club when he took over. I don't think there was one supporter who complaind about his plans for the club. All this talk about ashley gambling is complete bollolks. it looked as though he had a plan that couldn't go wrong, "buy young talant with his new scouting system" and appointed the greatest ever manager newcastle has ever had"

but one thing is for sure, his scouting system was and is not a mistake, but appointing a manager like Keegan who is great, but also a huge drama queen was the biggest mistake he could make. he needed a man who understould what he was going to do in his longterm buisness plan. And I think Keegan wanted instant rusaults. Keegan and ashley werent on the same page at all, so Keegan left, fans got crazy, and club went down.

I know I'll get slated for this, but give Ashley a couple of years to get used to owning a club like newcastle and he will understand what it's all about. I think his ideas are very good, and the prospect of cleaning our debt will benift as "BIG TIME" in the future.

well hasnt he been tolerable this season, major fuckups not really around willing to spend cash in jan to ensure promotion if llambias could f*** off everything would be fine

I’d say the renaming of the ground was a f*** up, as was starting season without a permanent manager.

The meagre spend in January is given far too much credit. Ashley spent the absolute bare minimum he thought he could get away with to cover any possible injuries problems. When we were looking good for promotion under KK the board went out and spent serious money on Andy Cole, who went on to serve us well in the PL until he was sold for a 400% profit. This time we went out and bought Best for next to nought, we couldn’t even compete with Wigan for Moses.

Or, looked at without the gosh-how-I-miss-my-Fweddie glasses on, during that transfer window we were probably the most active club in the top two divisions in terms of getting players in.

I think you’ll find SJH was in charge of the purse strings last time we went up. Not that it matters, my point was (until you tried to turn this into another debate about Shepherd, you’re obsessed with him) that the investment in January wasn’t the big wank fest it’s frequently made out to be.

Unbelievable that after all thats happened that some people would prefer to trust Ashley rather than Keegan. Words fail me

I would always trust Keegan far more than Ashley, unfortunately I haven't got £300m to buy the club and finance Keegan's re-structuring of NUFC. Neither has anyone else otherwise I'm sure this would have happened by now.

I’d say the renaming of the ground was a f*** up, as was starting season without a permanent manager.

I think you’ll find SJH was in charge of the purse strings last time we went up. Not that it matters, my point was (until you tried to turn this into another debate about Shepherd, you’re obsessed with him) that the investment in January wasn’t the big w*** fest it’s frequently made out to be.

all people said was that we bought well, not that it was the best window ever. you'll rememebr in that summer under hall many weren't happy that our only signing was beardsley (allen only coming in because of beardsleys injury)

Guest malandro

The whole point of a loan is that the lender wants their money back, so if he doesn’t want the money back why loan the club the money? Why not just invest it and be done with it?

That's been answered already.

Remind me, was it one of those everything can be explained using the power of accountancy things?

Guest malandro

I think you’ll find SJH was in charge of the purse strings last time we went up. Not that it matters, my point was (until you tried to turn this into another debate about Shepherd, you’re obsessed with him) that the investment in January wasn’t the big w*** fest it’s frequently made out to be.

all people said was that we bought well, not that it was the best window ever. you'll rememebr in that summer under hall many weren't happy that our only signing was beardsley (allen only coming in because of beardsleys injury)

No, it’s put forward as evidence that he’s learnt from his mistakes. When in fact it could just as easily be another variation on the short sighted minimum investment policy that got us relegated.

The failure to land Moses is interesting. A highly rated young player who Hughton said we were after who ended up at Wigan. Was it the £2.5m price tag that scuppered our attempt to sign him, or was he attracted by the bright lights of Wigan? Or perhaps we couldn’t match the wages Wigan were offering. Whichever way you look at it looks like NUFC weren’t interested in building for next season.

Guest malandro

Has this really bothered anybody? Don't think I've thought about this once since that initial week.

30,000+ signatures on the NUST petition suggests it did.

No, it’s put forward as evidence that he’s learnt from his mistakes. When in fact it could just as easily be another variation on the short sighted minimum investment policy that got us relegated.

The failure to land Moses is interesting. A highly rated young player who Hughton said we were after who ended up at Wigan. Was it the £2.5m price tag that scuppered our attempt to sign him, or was he attracted by the bright lights of Wigan? Or perhaps we couldn’t match the wages Wigan were offering. Whichever way you look at it looks like NUFC weren’t interested in building for next season.

yes the moses thing was ineteresting...perhaps they didn't want to pay what they considered to be over the odds (like most every other prem team bar wigan)

Has this really bothered anybody? Don't think I've thought about this once since that initial week.

30,000+ signatures on the NUST petition suggests it did.

well the name still changed. does it hurt you  or do you not really realise ?

Guest malandro

yes the moses thing was ineteresting...perhaps they didn't want to pay what they considered to be over the odds (like most every other prem team bar wigan)

Or perhaps they aren’t prepared to pay the market rate and we will only sign players our competitors in the PL aren’t interested in.

Hughton himself said ‘our efforts to sign Moses is a combination for now and the future. The most important thing is to get promoted, but there has also been an eye on the future’. And then our  eye on the future was scuppered by Wigan and their outrageous wage structure.

If we can't compete with big spending Wigan the quality of player we bring in is unlikely to move the club forward. We’ll get promoted and that will be the end of our progress - which some will no doubt find highly amusing.

Or perhaps they aren’t prepared to pay the market rate and we will only sign players our competitors in the PL aren’t interested in.

Hughton himself said ‘our efforts to sign Moses is a combination for now and the future. The most important thing is to get promoted, but there has also been an eye on the future’. And then our  eye on the future was scuppered by Wigan and their outrageous wage structure.

If we can't compete with big spending Wigan the quality of player we bring in is unlikely to move the club forward. We’ll get promoted and that will be the end of our progress - which some will no doubt find highly amusing.

or maybe he just wanted too much. even if its wigan if someone wants more than you think they are worth you don't do it.

If you actually go through this thread you have 2 basic sides, people vehementely against Ashley who have no interest in giving Ashley any credit whatsoever or even acknowledging anyhting creditable he's done and people who are trying to point out the more balanced view that Ashley has actually done some good which is obviously offset with the bad he's done.

There is absolutely no one saying Ashley has done a brilliant job yet the majority of those against him are admament he's done nothing whatsoever that is credit worthy. One of those groups seems far less rational than the other.

Dont Chelsea owe £600m to Roman? Not sure exactly but dont the bin dippers owe similar to external creditors? The performaces of the respective teams are irrelavant when you actually look at the dynamics of the debt, that is what many people are trying to point out when they talk about Ashley and the loan he's given to the club.

Guest malandro

or maybe he just wanted too much. even if its wigan if someone wants more than you think they are worth you don't do it.

At the end of the day Wigan got Moses and we got Best. A million maybes doesn’t change that, or what happens on the pitch.

This season has been a great example of how wages influence results. How Hughton would have fared if he’d had to operate within Scunthorpe’s wage structure we’ll never know, but it’s looking like we find out how good he is at managing the division’s poor relations over the next few years.

At the end of the day Wigan got Moses and we got Best. A million maybes doesn’t change that, or what happens on the pitch.

This season has been a great example of how wages influence results. How Hughton would have fared if he’d had to operate within Scunthorpe’s wage structure we’ll never know, but it’s looking like we find out how good he is at managing the division’s poor relations over the next few years.

do you know if best or moses are on the bigger wage ?

as for the rest it'll make a change to underperforming at an unmanagable wage structure.......................unless of course you think the banks would have let us borrow more ?

If you actually go through this thread you have 2 basic sides, people vehementely against Ashley who have no interest in giving Ashley any credit whatsoever or even acknowledging anyhting creditable he's done and people who are trying to point out the more balanced view that Ashley has actually done some good which is obviously offset with the bad he's done.

There is absolutely no one saying Ashley has done a brilliant job yet the majority of those against him are admament he's done nothing whatsoever that is credit worthy. One of those groups seems far less rational than the other.

Dont Chelsea owe £600m to Roman? Not sure exactly but dont the bin dippers owe similar to external creditors? The performaces of the respective teams are irrelavant when you actually look at the dynamics of the debt, that is what many people are trying to point out when they talk about Ashley and the loan he's given to the club.