Is Mike Ashley steering Newcastle United in the right direction?

LooneyToonArmy

One final point, apologies for the spelling errors in the last post. It is friday night here in Oz and my excuse is too many glasses of chardonnay on the beach while the kids were having an evening swim in the sea.

It is fair to say that there will  never be 100% agreement on whether Ashley has the club heading in the right direction or not because whilst some of us are prepared to admit he has made many mistakes, at least he appears to have learned from them and the club is better off for it, being in prim,e position to gain promotion.

Form those like Melandro who feel that whatever Ashlery does will never compensate for relegation, let me ask you the following questions:

1.  Are you unhappy we are top of the CCC? no

2.  What would your opinion be of Ashley if he fully backed the manager's requests this summer and bought several quality players which resulted in a top 6 finish next season? Dont say it is fantasy because we have done it before. With his own money he'd be a legend, with loans he'd be Shepherd.

3.  Have you ever made a mistake personally that has resulted in a catastrophe which you have had to deal with to ensure your plans have been re-directed on to the right tracks? Not that I recall, but if I have I'm sure I was contrite about it.  I didn't boast to the victim that what I'd actually done was for their own good, that they're being unreasonable.  Especially before I'd even been able to recover the catastrophe

4.  Do you really, honestly think that Ashley is totally to blame for the fiasco last year therefore absolving any blame from Souness, Shepherd, Roeder and Allardyce, not to mention the petulant Keegan?  The only one of those I place no blame whatsoever on is Keegan.  He was working wonders at the club (again) before he was dismissed.

5..  Are you able to admit mistakes have been made in the past and that the fortune of the club is ahead and not back? No-one can know this.  I can't see us in the champions league any time in the forseeable future.

6.  By the way, as each home game passes, is it not evident that the anti ashley protests are getting less and less vociferous?

Not if you stand in the L7 corner.  Actually, "get out of our club.." hardly gets an outing anymore.  It's been replaced by "we don't care about Ashley...".  Most fans have accepted he's here for the long term.  Doesn't mean they're happy about it.

7.  Who do you suggest takes over the running, ownership of our club from Ashley because as far I am concerned there is not a lot of options on the table, is there? So therefore, for the good of the club, wouldnt it be more pertinent to generate your efforts to support a club that is obviously making every effort to atone for past mistakes rather than digging up ancient history?

I think a lot of people agree it's pointless trying to oust Ashley with no credible alternative.  Ousting Llambias is more important now as far as I'm concerned.  If Ashley did that then i might consider for a second that he'd learnt something.

8.  Finally, what gives the likes of Melandro the god given right to insult excellent posters who have an opinion to moffer on the subject? Simple answer to this is if you dont like the post, dont reply. If you feel the need to reply, then keep it polite, like many others on this forum who have disagreed with some of my posts, as an example.

Free speech.  If you don't like Melandro, don't read his posts.

One final point, apologies for the spelling errors in the last post. It is friday night here in Oz and my excuse is too many glasses of chardonnay on the beach while the kids were having an evening swim in the sea.

I thought if you were commenting on the atmosphere at games and the sentiments towards Ashley then you'd be someone that was going to games.  Talking to people in the pubs afterwards and that.

Not a soopafan dig or owt, bu you've got no basis for asking question 6.

Careful or you could end up being more hated than Ashley  ;D

I thought if you were commenting on the atmosphere at games and the sentiments towards Ashley then you'd be someone that was going to games.  Talking to people in the pubs afterwards and that.

Well,let me tell you this. Living on the other side of the world doesnt make me any less of a fan than those who have season tickets to SJP. That comment is just blatantly ridiculous. In fact, I probably get to see more NUFC games televised here than you do over in the UK. You might want to remember that there are many other fans on this forum who are in the same situation as me and probably wouldnt take your comments lightly. You might like to know that I have had a heavy involvement with NUFC matters for many years and have plenty of contacts through the club over those years.

Most of your replies to my questions were quite interesting and whilst I agree with some and disagree with most, this is a forum of opinions for world wide supporters of the club and you should be wary of making comments regarding other fans opinions, even if they do live far away.

With regard to question 6, I think the majority of posters on this forum will readily admit that protests against Ashley have diminished over time at games, whether they like it or not.

Furthermore, I cannot think of a single fan whom isnt pleased, surprised and elated that after a difficult period, Newcastle United are currently top of the CCC. I would say that you are certainly in the minority.

Careful or you could end up being more hated than Ashley  ;D

LOL........I am sure I will be brought back down to earth with the sub zero temperatures when I bring my family back home for next christmas. I must admit that I do miss a really good pint of Exhibition though.

Well,let me tell you this. Living on the other side of the world doesnt make me any less of a fan than those who have season tickets to SJP. That comment is just blatantly ridiculous. In fact, I probably get to see more NUFC games televised here than you do over in the UK. You might want to remember that there are many other fans on this forum who are in the same situation as me and probably wouldnt take your comments lightly. You might like to know that I have had a heavy involvement with NUFC matters for many years and have plenty of contacts through the club over those years.

Most of your replies to my questions were quite interesting and whilst I agree with some and disagree with most, this is a forum of opinions for world wide supporters of the club and you should be wary of making comments regarding other fans opinions, even if they do live far away.

With regard to question 6, I think the majority of posters on this forum will readily admit that protests against Ashley have diminished over time at games, whether they like it or not.

Furthermore, I cannot think of a single fan whom isnt pleased, surprised and elated that after a difficult period, Newcastle United are currently top of the CCC. I would say that you are certainly in the minority.

Bloody foreigners, you're all clueless when up against a local supporter.

No, it’s put forward as evidence that he’s learnt from his mistakes. When in fact it could just as easily be another variation on the short sighted minimum investment policy that got us relegated.

The failure to land Moses is interesting. A highly rated young player who Hughton said we were after who ended up at Wigan. Was it the £2.5m price tag that scuppered our attempt to sign him, or was he attracted by the bright lights of Wigan? Or perhaps we couldn’t match the wages Wigan were offering. Whichever way you look at it looks like NUFC weren’t interested in building for next season.

Perhaps we had a fee agreed with the club for Moses, wages were agreed then his agent doubled what he wanted from the deal.

In the Moses case, it's my belief that he just got blinded by immediate PL football and the fact that Wigan have got a very good reputation as a springboard club for new talent.

It could easily be either of these but I have a funny feeling that Wigan can offer him better wages at this point as they are in the Prem and we aren't.

NUFC in the Championship on 5-10k/wk or Wigan in the Prem on 10-20?

It's not either, it's the reason that I mentioned.

It's not just Best though is it. I can't think of a single player since Ashley bought the club where we've been in competition with another club for a player and ended up signing that player, the only player in that time I can think of who we've signed where the selling club didn't want rid is Coloccini (also Gutierrez, but that situation is just bizarre, he shouldn't have been their player anymore), and we have been unable/unwilling to stop any player leaving who wants to move to another club. Maybe I've missed someone, or maybe its just a coincidence, but it's a worrying trend IMO. Of course operating like that and avoiding a bidding war has obvious financial advantages and puts the club in the driving seat when negotiating contracts, and I'm sure some will be over the moon about it and happy that anyone who expresses any discontent is shipped out the door, but it does mean you have to pick up and make do with the left overs, and if any player develops while at the club he's inevitably going to leave for a club that will offer him more. At Championship level this policy is fine as there are a plethora of players out there who are good enough to play at this level, and we can afford to miss out on some as any player we miss out on will not be significantly better than some other player we can go for. The Premiership is another kettle of fish though, it's one of the best leagues in the world, and to compete in it you have to have some of the best players in the world - there's a much smaller pool of players that are good enough to be good in the Premiership. Fishing around for the scraps in that pool is highly unlikely to lead to anything better than survival.

For fredbob - I'd sincerely like to thank the man who got my club relegated for not fucking it up any further once he realised the players he wasn't able to get rid of and the coach Keegan brought in might be able to get the team promoted, and for replacing the recalled loan players and long term injuries with cheap permanent signings & other loans.

Cheers Mike, great job, appreciated. :clap:

Happy?

No, its put forward as evidence that hes learnt from his mistakes. When in fact it could just as easily be another variation on the short sighted minimum investment policy that got us relegated.

The failure to land Moses is interesting. A highly rated young player who Hughton said we were after who ended up at Wigan. Was it the £2.5m price tag that scuppered our attempt to sign him, or was he attracted by the bright lights of Wigan? Or perhaps we couldnt match the wages Wigan were offering. Whichever way you look at it looks like NUFC werent interested in building for next season.

Perhaps we had a fee agreed with the club for Moses, wages were agreed then his agent doubled what he wanted from the deal.

In the Moses case, it's my belief that he just got blinded by immediate PL football and the fact that Wigan have got a very good reputation as a springboard club for new talent.

It could easily be either of these but I have a funny feeling that Wigan can offer him better wages at this point as they are in the Prem and we aren't.

NUFC in the Championship on 5-10k/wk or Wigan in the Prem on 10-20?

It's not either, it's the reason that I mentioned.

It's not just Best though is it. I can't think of a single player since Ashley bought the club where we've been in competition with another club for a player and ended up signing that player, the only player in that time I can think of who we've signed where the selling club didn't want rid is Coloccini (also Gutierrez, but that situation is just bizarre, he shouldn't have been their player anymore), and we have been unable/unwilling to stop any player leaving who wants to move to another club. Maybe I've missed someone, or maybe its just a coincidence, but it's a worrying trend IMO. Of course operating like that and avoiding a bidding war has obvious financial advantages and puts the club in the driving seat when negotiating contracts, and I'm sure some will be over the moon about it and happy that anyone who expresses any discontent is shipped out the door, but it does mean you have to pick up and make do with the left overs, and if any player develops while at the club he's inevitably going to leave for a club that will offer him more. At Championship level this policy is fine as there are a plethora of players out there who are good enough to play at this level, and we can afford to miss out on some as any player we miss out on will not be significantly better than some other player we can go for. The Premiership is another kettle of fish though, it's one of the best leagues in the world, and to compete in it you have to have some of the best players in the world - there's a much smaller pool of players that are good enough to be good in the Premiership. Fishing around for the scraps in that pool is highly unlikely to lead to anything better than survival.

For fredbob - I'd sincerely like to thank the man who got my club relegated for not f***ing it up any further once he realised the players he wasn't able to get rid of and the coach Keegan brought in might be able to get the team promoted, and for replacing the recalled loan players and long term injuries with cheap permanent signings & other loans.

Happy?

Some reasonable comments there about promotion  and the quality of players we could afford to bring in. However, take out the top 4 plus City, Spurs and possibly Villa, all other teams in the PL will be scraping for players within their individual budgets and nowhere near the budgets afforded by the likes of clubs owned by rich owners.

Chelsea have already commented on spending 100 million pounds whilst Liverpool and Man U will spend big. City will too. Most other clubs cant live with that and that is why I believe that sooner or later, there will be a breakaway superleague for rich clubs and the rest will be left to wonder, why not us.

UV

Gordon Strachan admitted last week that we beat Middlesbrough to the signing of two players in January, one being Routledge.

Fair enough, I'll be glad if my fears are proved wrong on that. Hope it wasn't just that boro wouldn't meet QPR's fee.

I admit I was very happy with the signing of Routledge as I thought once we'd signed Pancrate that would be it for the RW. Bit worried about his constant niggles, but I think he's a decent signing. Williamson too. :thup:

I never for one second suggested it made you any less of a fan.

I'm just saying people in and around the stadium have a clearer picture of what the feeling is toward Ashley in and around the stadium.  I don't see how that could be at all contentious.  nothing to get defensive about.

There's not been any 'protests' since the Hull game last seasonff.  I don't agree that there's been any diminishment in the hatred of Ashley since the opening game against West Brom.

Your last sentence is absurd.  Yoiu could as easily say I cannot think of a single rape victim whom isnt pleased, surprised and elated that after being visciously raped, they are still alive.

UV

Gordon Strachan admitted last week that we beat Middlesbrough to the signing of two players in January, one being Routledge.

Fair enough, I'll be glad if my fears are proved wrong on that. Hope it wasn't just that boro wouldn't meet QPR's fee.

I admit I was very happy with the signing of Routledge as I thought once we'd signed Pancrate that would be it for the RW. Bit worried about his constant niggles, but I think he's a decent signing. Williamson too. :thup:

Aye.  January wasn't as bad as I'd feared.

I find it incredible the amount of good will it's fostered among a few people on here though.  Apart from that one window where ashley put about £5m in (but kept wages unchanged) I'm not sure what exactly he's done that's put us on the right road.

In August/September having cleared out 9 first team regulars he brought in 3 players on loan and one free signing.  That neglect is what led to us taking the dip we did at christmas and forced him to dig a little deeper.  If anyone, Hughton deserves credit for doing a great job with no support whatsoever until our promotion push started to stall.

Guest bobthemag

Keegan was a Director of Football once himself, and came into the club knowing that he would be working under that kind of system, so if he had a problem with it he can hardly blame anyone else.

have you read the findings of the tribunal ?

I'm just saying people in and around the stadium have a clearer picture of what the feeling is toward Ashley in and around the stadium.  I don't see how that could be at all contentious.  nothing to get defensive about.

There's not been any 'protests' since the Hull game last seasonff.  I don't agree that there's been any diminishment in the hatred of Ashley since the opening game against West Brom.

Your last sentence is absurd.  Yoiu could as easily say I cannot think of a single rape victim whom isnt pleased, surprised and elated that after being visciously raped, they are still alive.

First of all, I dont think Ashley really cares anymore what the minority think, despite comments by Llanbiase recently. The team is performing and getting results and despite all the past problems, there is still 40 odd thousand turning up at SJP for every home game which is way way above his wildest expectations at the start of the season.

Secondly, the comment regarding being happy with our current situation as a football club compared to a rape victim is non sensical. How the hell can you make such comparisons is beyond me. I know Bill Shankly once said that football is a matter of life and death but violation of a human body as a comparison to the demise of a football club is just plain idiotic.

I am basically a positive person and I dont like to dwell on the past. What is done is done and as someone else said previously on trhis thread, it is time to move on which appears to be what the club is trying to do, without over committing itself financially. To be unhappy to be top of the CCC at this present time after a couple of years of total mayhem is just plain daft.

I actually have read some comments from posters on this forum who would be happy to stay in the CCC because we are winning games, although I can say I dont agree with them. Too much negativity and hatred is blinding too many people on here and it is well and truly time to back the club, from top right through to the tea lady, if we are to get back to where we once were under SBR. It will take a few years but if we are financially healthy and have a committed youthful playing staff eager to impress, then I can see the club back up there with the likes of Everton, Villa and even Spurs.

Keegan was a Director of Football once himself, and came into the club knowing that he would be working under that kind of system, so if he had a problem with it he can hardly blame anyone else.

would have been interesting if ray wilkins had claimed constructive dismissal when keegan was DoF at fulham ?

i've read the findings and i've asked some questions about them, as yet unanswered.

For fredbob - I'd sincerely like to thank the man who got my club relegated for not f***ing it up any further once he realised the players he wasn't able to get rid of and the coach Keegan brought in might be able to get the team promoted, and for replacing the recalled loan players and long term injuries with cheap permanent signings & other loans.

Happy?

We've got to live within our means if we're ever going to move forwards again, it might even become a law within the game that we have to do it if we're going to compete in European football.  If that does happen then we should be in a good position as our income should give us an advantage over most teams.

Happy?

We've got to live within our means if we're ever going to move forwards again, it might even become a law within the game that we have to do it if we're going to compete in European football.  If that does happen then we should be in a good position as our income should give us an advantage over most teams.

that all depends on wether ashley decides to make his money back out of the club somehow.

Guest bobthemag

Because he's a bit daft & doesn't get it.

:lol:

Let’s see if you’re giggling in a few years time.  Because if he does want the loans repaid (and you have no evidence at all that he doesn’t) the future for NUFC will almost certainly be about watching crap players try to avoid relegation season after season. Hilarious.

that is probably what we are going to get under this owner

Guest bobthemag

In all fairness Ashley did have a very good plan to run the club when he took over. I don't think there was one supporter who complaind about his plans for the club. All this talk about ashley gambling is complete bollolks. it looked as though he had a plan that couldn't go wrong, "buy young talant with his new scouting system" and appointed the greatest ever manager newcastle has ever had"

but one thing is for sure, his scouting system was and is not a mistake, but appointing a manager like Keegan who is great, but also a huge drama queen was the biggest mistake he could make. he needed a man who understould what he was going to do in his longterm buisness plan. And I think Keegan wanted instant rusaults. Keegan and ashley werent on the same page at all, so Keegan left, fans got crazy, and club went down.

I know I'll get slated for this, but give Ashley a couple of years to get used to owning a club like newcastle and he will understand what it's all about. I think his ideas are very good, and the prospect of cleaning our debt will benift as "BIG TIME" in the future.

After all owning a club like Newcastle must be the toughest job in the world. 

He's only had almost 3 years, how much longer does he need?

well hasnt he been tolerable this season, major fuckups not really around willing to spend cash in jan to ensure promotion if llambias could f*** off everything would be fine

I’d say the renaming of the ground was a f*** up, as was starting season without a permanent manager.

The meagre spend in January is given far too much credit. Ashley spent the absolute bare minimum he thought he could get away with to cover any possible injuries problems. When we were looking good for promotion under KK the board went out and spent serious money on Andy Cole, who went on to serve us well in the PL until he was sold for a 400% profit. This time we went out and bought Best for next to nought, we couldn’t even compete with Wigan for Moses.

Or, looked at without the gosh-how-I-miss-my-Fweddie glasses on, during that transfer window we were probably the most active club in the top two divisions in terms of getting players in.

I think you’ll find SJH was in charge of the purse strings last time we went up. Not that it matters, my point was (until you tried to turn this into another debate about Shepherd, you’re obsessed with him) that the investment in January wasn’t the big w*** fest it’s frequently made out to be.

all people said was that we bought well, not that it was the best window ever. you'll rememebr in that summer under hall many weren't happy that our only signing was beardsley (allen only coming in because of beardsleys injury)

No, it’s put forward as evidence that he’s learnt from his mistakes. When in fact it could just as easily be another variation on the short sighted minimum investment policy that got us relegated.

The failure to land Moses is interesting. A highly rated young player who Hughton said we were after who ended up at Wigan. Was it the £2.5m price tag that scuppered our attempt to sign him, or was he attracted by the bright lights of Wigan? Or perhaps we couldn’t match the wages Wigan were offering. Whichever way you look at it looks like NUFC weren’t interested in building for next season.

yes the moses thing was ineteresting...perhaps they didn't want to pay what they considered to be over the odds (like most every other prem team bar wigan)

Or perhaps they aren’t prepared to pay the market rate and we will only sign players our competitors in the PL aren’t interested in.

Hughton himself said ‘our efforts to sign Moses is a combination for now and the future. The most important thing is to get promoted, but there has also been an eye on the future’. And then our  eye on the future was scuppered by Wigan and their outrageous wage structure.

If we can't compete with big spending Wigan the quality of player we bring in is unlikely to move the club forward. We’ll get promoted and that will be the end of our progress - which some will no doubt find highly amusing.

or maybe he just wanted too much. even if its wigan if someone wants more than you think they are worth you don't do it.

At the end of the day Wigan got Moses and we got Best. A million maybes doesn’t change that, or what happens on the pitch.

This season has been a great example of how wages influence results. How Hughton would have fared if he’d had to operate within Scunthorpe’s wage structure we’ll never know, but it’s looking like we find out how good he is at managing the division’s poor relations over the next few years.

do you know if best or moses are on the bigger wage ?

as for the rest it'll make a change to underperforming at an unmanagable wage structure.......................unless of course you think the banks would have let us borrow more ?

are you happy that Wigan are buying better players than we are ?

Guest bobthemag

If you actually go through this thread you have 2 basic sides, people vehementely against Ashley who have no interest in giving Ashley any credit whatsoever or even acknowledging anyhting creditable he's done and people who are trying to point out the more balanced view that Ashley has actually done some good which is obviously offset with the bad he's done.

There is absolutely no one saying Ashley has done a brilliant job yet the majority of those against him are admament he's done nothing whatsoever that is credit worthy. One of those groups seems far less rational than the other.

Dont Chelsea owe £600m to Roman? Not sure exactly but dont the bin dippers owe similar to external creditors? The performaces of the respective teams are irrelavant when you actually look at the dynamics of the debt, that is what many people are trying to point out when they talk about Ashley and the loan he's given to the club.

I’d say it was more a case of those who are confusing our ‘successes’ this season with a well run club and think Ashley has turned into Jack Walker because we bought a few bargain basement players in January, and those who want to see clear tangible evidence the club is heading in the right direction before they can forget about three years of half truths and abject mismanagement. 

You might think being top of this league is proof we’re heading in the right direction, but others think it’s a fluke and in the absence of any hard facts about what Ashley’s plan was last summer you’re in no position to say what’s rational and what isn’t. Ultimately time will settle this debate, and until it’s had its say perhaps you should get off your high horse.

This is an excellent answer from Fredbob and basically, cuts to the chase. It is fair to say that there will  never be 100% agreement on whether Ashley has the club heading in the right direction or not because whilst some of us are prepared to admit he has made many mistakes, at least he appears to have learned from them and the club is better off for it, being in prim,e position to gain promotion.

Form those like Melandro who feel that whatever Ashlery does will never compensate for relegation, let me ask you the following questions:

1.  Are you unhappy we are top of the CCC?

2.  What would your opinion be of Ashley if he fully backed the manager's requests this summer and bought several quality players which resulted in a top 6 finish next season? Dont say it is fantasy because we have done it before.

3.  Have you ever made a mistake personally that has resulted in a catastrophe which you have had to deal with to ensure your plans have been re-directed on to the right tracks?

4.  Do you really, honestly think that Ashley is totally to blame for the fiasco last year therefore absolving any blame from Souness, Shepherd, Roeder and Allardyce, not to mention the petulant Keegan?

5..  Are you able to admit mistakes have been made in the past and that the fortune of the club is ahead and not back?

6.  By the way, as each home game passes, is it not evident that the anti ashley protests are getting less and less vociferous?

7.  Who do you suggest takes over the running, ownership of our club from Ashley because as far I am concerned there is not a lot of options on the table, is there? So therefore, for the good of the club, wouldnt it be more pertinent to generate your efforts to support a club that is obviously making every effort to atone for past mistakes rather than digging up ancient history?

8.  Finally, what gives the likes of Melandro the god given right to insult excellent posters who have an opinion to moffer on the subject? Simple answer to this is if you dont like the post, dont reply. If you feel the need to reply, then keep it polite, like many others on this forum who have disagreed with some of my posts, as an example.

A year from now most of that will look like the nonsense that it is.

Your number 8 - haven't you insulted posters too ?

Guest bobthemag

you're funny you like.

First of all, I dont think Ashley really cares anymore what the minority think, despite comments by Llanbiase recently. The team is performing and getting results and despite all the past problems, there is still 40 odd thousand turning up at SJP for every home game which is way way above his wildest expectations at the start of the season.

This is going round in circles.  It's not a minority

Secondly, the comment regarding being happy with our current situation as a football club compared to a rape victim is non sensical. How the hell can you make such comparisons is beyond me. I know Bill Shankly once said that football is a matter of life and death but violation of a human body as a comparison to the demise of a football club is just plain idiotic.

Do you write for the daily mail?  Have a sense of humour man. I was highlighting how pathetically grateful you come across for the smallest of mercies with the most extreme analogy.  I was joking about the holocaust with the lads at the match the other night too.

I am basically a positive person and I dont like to dwell on the past. What is done is done and as someone else said previously on trhis thread, it is time to move on which appears to be what the club is trying to do, without over committing itself financially. To be unhappy to be top of the CCC at this present time after a couple of years of total mayhem is just plain daft.

Again, pathetically grateful.  You sound like a cuckolded husband thanking his wife for letting him smell her battered gash after she took on the local rugby team.

I actually have read some comments from posters on this forum who would be happy to stay in the CCC because we are winning games, although I can say I dont agree with them. Too much negativity and hatred is blinding too many people on here and it is well and truly time to back the club, from top right through to the tea lady, if we are to get back to where we once were under SBR. It will take a few years but if we are financially healthy and have a committed youthful playing staff eager to impress, then I can see the club back up there with the likes of Everton, Villa and even Spurs.

Where we were 3 years ago  :celb: