Tempting fate - next year

Liam Liam Liam O
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

One things for sure, if Keegan was our Manager now he would not be looking to stay up "by any means possible".   He would be attempting to win every game by playing attacking football and for me thats what its all about. 

Depends on the quality of the team. Mowbray tried this with West Brom and it didn't go well at all.

Keegan might like to play attacking football but he's not naive enough to think you can do it successfully without quality players. How many clubs in English football could guarantee him the funds he'd want to sign them in the current financial climate?

I don't think many of them would want him

More like ten years if Ashley uses any profits we make to start paying off his loans.

He hasn't taken a penny, let's give him the benefit of the doubt on that one until he does.

Fair enough but some teams have spent the last 10 years in that division staying up by any means possible. Theres no reason to assume it would be any different the following year or the year after that.

The longer we're back in the division the better it will be for us.  We've lost a fortune this season and that will take time to get over.  We'll not manage that in 1 season, it might take a couple.

More like ten years if Ashley uses any profits we make to start paying off his loans.

Speculation.

Guest Brummiemag

"If we get relegated then so be it"

f***ing hell :lol: :facepalm:

Fucking hell what?

If your happy to travel round the country watching shit football week in and week out then fair enough but I'm not. This season away from home has been soul destroying at times despite the fact we are top of the league, so fuck knows what it will be like next season if we play with the same negative approach.

I want to see us play decent football no matter what division we are in.  Out of interest how many years would you like to see us stay up by any means possible - one year, 5 years, forever?   

Guest malandro

One things for sure, if Keegan was our Manager now he would not be looking to stay up "by any means possible".   He would be attempting to win every game by playing attacking football and for me thats what its all about. 

Depends on the quality of the team. (TRUE) Mowbray tried this with West Brom and it didn't go well at all.

No, but they look like coming straight back up on without having to overspend by £500k a week.

f***ing hell what?

If your happy to travel round the country watching s*** football week in and week out then fair enough but I'm not. This season away from home has been soul destroying at times despite the fact we are top of the league, so f*** knows what it will be like next season if we play with the same negative approach.

I want to see us play decent football no matter what division we are in.  Out of interest how many years would you like to see us stay up by any means possible - one year, 5 years, forever?   

I know that question wasn't aimed at me but I think we need to give them at least two years.  We had 4 poor years before Bobby came and it took him two years to sort the club out from a higher starting position and then it paid off.

"If we get relegated then so be it"

f***ing hell :lol: :facepalm:

f***ing hell what?

If your happy to travel round the country watching s*** football week in and week out then fair enough but I'm not. This season away from home has been soul destroying at times despite the fact we are top of the league, so f*** knows what it will be like next season if we play with the same negative approach.

I want to see us play decent football no matter what division we are in. Out of interest how many years would you like to see us stay up by any means possible - one year, 5 years, forever?

Forever, and if we don't realise our limitations, accept that we're currently a below-average side and adapt our playing style to ensure survival happens, we'll not stay in the Premier League at all.

Like I said, here I want to see us dominate teams and play well because we're one of the best in the league. In the Premier League, that isn't the case and we'd be fools to act like we were.

The likes of West Brom have gone down while the likes of Stoke have established themselves in the league in a short space of time. Their football last season was dire but they survived and they're starting to play with a bit more freedom this season as a result.

Survival is key, if we get that on the last day against Bolton at SJP and the winning goal goes in off Nolan's arse, I couldn't care less.

EDIT: The most difficult part of promotion is staying there after the 1st season. If we crack that, then we'll wait to the following summer to reflect on things and improve our style.

Guest malandro

Fair enough but some teams have spent the last 10 years in that division staying up by any means possible. Theres no reason to assume it would be any different the following year or the year after that.

The longer we're back in the division the better it will be for us.  We've lost a fortune this season and that will take time to get over.  We'll not manage that in 1 season, it might take a couple.

Speculation.

If we repay £15m a season it would take ten years to pay off the £150m he’s lent the club. How much profit do you think we’re going to be making?

Speculation.

If we repay £15m a season it would take ten years to pay off the £150m he’s lent the club. How much profit do you think we’re going to be making?

Got no idea. Neither have you tbh. At least I'll admit it...

Speculation.

If we repay £15m a season it would take ten years to pay off the £150m hes lent the club. How much profit do you think were going to be making?

Not like a teacher to admit he's got no idea... ;)

well we've seen reading, wigan and birmingham have good first seasons in the PL so it can definitely be done. but having ashley and hughton here restricts our potential. so yes, its definitely possible that we can get mid-table but our priority has to be simply surviving. it has to be.

EDIT: IF we get promoted, of course :rolleyes:

Some very sensible posts in this thread to counter the over ambitious. We need to forget the past, forget where we were and realise where we are now.

Yes Ashley has lowered expectations but the sooner we accept that the better. we need to concentrate on the here and now and back the team/manager on those expectations not what we would have expected in the good old days under kk/sbr.

Some very sensible posts in this thread to counter the over ambitious. We need to forget the past, forget where we were and realise where we are now.

Yes Ashley has lowered expectations but the sooner we accept that the better. we need to concentrate on the here and now and back the team/manager on those expectations not what we would have expected in the good old days under kk/sbr.

No matter people's opinions of the teams and what did or did not happen, the fact is that the likes of Hull, Bolton and Stoke finished above us last season.

We're not better than them, regardless of how shit they are. We need to realise that we'll be favourites to go straight back down, we'd be crazy to not accept 17th right now.

If we repay £15m a season it would take ten years to pay off the £150m hes lent the club. How much profit do you think were going to be making?

If we pay nothing a season then we'll never have to pay it back.

Guest malandro

Speculation.

I didn’t know Midds was a teacher!

Speculation.

I didnt know Midds was a teacher!

That's because you've only been here a month.  Or have you? :shifty:

Aslong as we stay up, I dont care how we play, id even go as far as saying id prefer fat Sams hoof it approach if it meant we stayed up.

It goes to show just how much Ashley has managed to lower expectations.

I would rather get relegated trying to play football than spend next season and the season after scraping around for bore draws and for enough points to stay up with a Sam hoof it approach.

Fucking hell thats not what Newcastle are about

You would rather we became a 'yo-yo' club, than stay in the Premiership by any means possible?

I don't want to see Newcastle stay in the Premiership by any means possible for example I dont want us to become a Stoke or a Bolton Wanderers. I want us to try and play good football and see what happens and if we get relegated then so be it.

Oh, so you're the guy who would rather lose 3-4 than win 1-0?

Come on, lets not  try and imply that this is some myth about Newcastle Fans, 2 half years ago we heard all the "win at all costs. dont care how we play" when Allardyce was put in charge, same fans were lapping it up when Keegan told us watching Newcaslte is like "southerners watching theatre they're there to be entertained". 

Guest malandro

Cancel the loans then. Oh no, he can’t because LLL says if we go bust that would mean he’d lose the money. Odd, that he doesn’t want to risk losing the money one minute but is apparently happy to never get it back the next.

Cancel the loans then. Oh no, he cant because LLL says if we go bust that would mean hed lose the money. Odd, that he doesnt want to risk losing the money one minute but is apparently happy to never get it back the next.

Except that if we don't go bust, he still has the value of the club via his shareholding and if we do he has value in the loans.

All your eggs in one basket?