MLS 2010

Kaizero

I'm sure the mackems have some sort of affiliation with Portland.

I have read something about that before but there's no real affiliation, I think it's just two supporters club because Sunderland played in Portland at one point for a pre-season or something.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I'm sure the mackems have some sort of affiliation with Portland.

/cleans self.

What was I thinking! Portland!  :kinnear:

Dan, aye, I'll probably just follow an East Coast team since that's where most of the Soccer Camps are. Probably wait till I've been over and see which team, if any, I get to 'work' with.

Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread (probably has) but Montreal were officially offered the 2012 expansion team for MLS.  Really excited for that because the matches I have been to in Montreal have always been good - they have a really cultured fan base when it comes to football (and they call it football there too!) in Montreal.

Looks like they'll be doing some renovations to the stadium as well: http://www.montrealmls2012.com/stade.php?language=EN

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

More 'local derbies' are always welcome.

Wonder what MLS will do in 10 years time if there's enough interest for more expansion teams. Can't imagine a real league system with promotions and relegations catching on over there. Certainly enough teams for 2 leagues, though the quality of players would be shocking. Also mess the draft up a bit too.

It's the US, if a team lose support or a "better" place wants the spot they'll just relocate a club.

This pretty much.  They'll just move the franchise to a different city, it's what they would do in other sports.

Which is totally fucked up.

It's the US, if a team lose support or a "better" place wants the spot they'll just relocate a club.

This pretty much.  They'll just move the franchise to a different city, it's what they would do in other sports.

Which is totally fucked up.

You are right, it is.  But it's really the only way to make things competitive in the long run around these parts, especially if they aren't going to implement a relegation/promotion system.  When they make the mistake of opening a franchise in crappy places (San Jose for example), they will eventually have to move them.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Strange San Jose, or the South-West as a whole, doesn't have a strong following given its proximity to Mexico. Though I'm probably being naive to believe that all Hispanics love football.  :-[

Seems the North-East and the North in general have the strongest support.

Strange San Jose, or the South-West as a whole, doesn't have a strong following given its proximity to Mexico. Though I'm probably being naive to believe that all Hispanics love football.  :-[

Seattle, Galaxy, Toronto, Real Salt Lake, Houston and Chivas USA are the best supported clubs in the MLS attendance wise (2009 stats). How is that the mainly the North East?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Seattle, Galaxy, Toronto, Real Salt Lake, Houston and Chivas USA are the best supported clubs in the MLS attendance wise (2009 stats). How is that the mainly the North East?

Just seems that way given all the teams in the North East (though I guess there's a whole host of smaller states there to allow that). Chivas USA would be the hispanic thing I was trying to think about!

Looks like they'll be doing some renovations to the stadium as well: http://www.montrealmls2012.com/stade.php?language=EN

Fucking hell, it looks more like Bleachers then proper stands. Apart from the glass tunnel nothing on there look anything special.

I'll be honest.  I've been to that stadium to watch a match and it was above average but the stands were definitely "bleachers" - although with the addition of the roof it will really keep the chants/sounds in the stadium.  They have a really good supporters group that will help fill the ground with sound.  They were definitely the first on my list to be announced as a new franchise for 2012.

http://www.prostamerika.com/2010/09/30/fans-must-be-allowed-to-attend-derbies-29504/

I thought this was a pretty awesome article about why derbies and rivalries should be encouraged in America and not dampened by only offering the "league minimum" of tickets to traveling supporters.

Absolutely. The thing that will make football work here is fan culture. Because of the large distances involved and large number of games in many sports, you don't see too many away fans at games. Singing throughout a game doesn't happen in any of the other major sports either. Going to the Crew is great because - in the "singing" section at least - it's more like a game back home.

The single thing I used to enjoy most about supporting my team was going away (and winning, of course). A great day out with mates, guaranteed fantastic atmosphere in our end and non-stop singing. The U.S. just doesn't have that same experience, yet.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

OK article about the rebirth of New York Cosmos in this month's FourFourTwo. Might send them my CV asking for a job!

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

OK article about the rebirth of New York Cosmos in this month's FourFourTwo. Might send them my CV asking for a job!

Going to buy that new top or trackie top me thinks

Pele is 'Honorary President'!

http://www.prostamerika.com/2010/09/30/fans-must-be-allowed-to-attend-derbies-29504/

I thought this was a pretty awesome article about why derbies and rivalries should be encouraged in America and not dampened by only offering the "league minimum" of tickets to traveling supporters.

From a logistics point-of-view (esp season ticket sales), how does a team go from having 150 visitors one game to 2000 the next. That means that you cannot sell season tickets in the space where you will have to put the 2000, and can only sell them as single games or mini-plans.

It's unusual that teams are even within driving distance (or that fans care enough to make the drive). The SEA-VAN-POR teams are one set, plus NY-PHI and maybe DAL-HOU, but for the most part, teams only have to worry about their own fans.

Going to buy that new top or trackie top me thinks

Believe it's just a mock up and not an actual kit.

From a logistics point-of-view (esp season ticket sales), how does a team go from having 150 visitors one game to 2000 the next. That means that you cannot sell season tickets in the space where you will have to put the 2000, and can only sell them as single games or mini-plans.

It's unusual that teams are even within driving distance (or that fans care enough to make the drive). The SEA-VAN-POR teams are one set, plus NY-PHI and maybe DAL-HOU, but for the most part, teams only have to worry about their own fans.

I agree in a sense, but I think this article is just good at opening the initial dialogue to a bigger issue of front office's supporting their supporters and their main rivalries.  There is a lot of work to be done but if the clubs are making an effort to help breed this kind of support it will make the league a better place.  Imagine if clubs started offering cheap air-fare for official supporters groups on chartered flights?  There would be more than enough people willing to travel at much discounted rates if it meant supporting their team.

(the fact that Alaska Airlines is now the official sponsor of the Timbers gives me hope that the Timbers will set this sort of precedent)

It's a very deep issue that most clubs in MLS haven't even tried to dig into, I hope if the Timbers/Sounders/Whitecaps prove that it can be done then other clubs will start to take a look.