Sunderland...

Heron

Finding that a bit hard to believe, personally. Where did you go in Newcastle?

Don't know what all the areas of town are called. The hotel I usually use is near the bridge and other than that basically just sjp and the areas downtown with lots of booze/food

Drunken idiots saying stupid idiotic stuff, doesn't count for the vast majority of people in Newcastle, at least not to the level of it being 'very bad' as you said. I can see it might seem that way if the three times you've been over here you've heard some bad stuff, but I think I can count on one hand the amount of racist comments I've heard in my life time living in Newcastle... most of them from my Nana.  :doh:

Yep, apart from the bit about your Nana, mine is dead.

Don't know what all the areas of town are called. The hotel I usually use is near the bridge and other than that basically just sjp and the areas downtown with lots of booze/food

Drunken idiots saying stupid idiotic stuff, doesn't count for the vast majority of people in Newcastle, at least not to the level of it being 'very bad' as you said. I can see it might seem that way if the three times you've been over here you've heard some bad stuff, but I think I can count on one hand the amount of racist comments I've heard in my life time living in Newcastle... most of them from my Nana.  :doh:

I'm not saying the lot of you are skinheads or anything, just that it's relatively prevalent. Which is partly understandable since there are still probaly a lot of people who don't have extensive interaction(or at least not positive interaction) with people of other races.

I'd have a fair bit more opportunity to witness racist abuse than you would, for obvious reasons. (apologies if I'm making incorrect assumptions here!)

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Yep, apart from the bit about your Nana, mine is dead.

Aye, so is mine now. Still put down the things she said in her own home, as Old Person Generation Views. Though she did say she loved the Germans and Russians.  :lol:

I'm not saying the lot of you are skinheads or anything, just that it's relatively prevalent. Which is partly understandable since there are still probaly a lot of people who don't have extensive interaction(or at least not positive interaction) with people of other races.

I'd have a fair bit more opportunity to witness racist abuse than you would, for obvious reasons. (apologies if I'm making incorrect assumptions here!)

Skinheads aren't racist man!!!! A few bad apples have spoilt the bunch :(

But it's not relatively prevalent out and about in Newcastle, you are talking utter bollocks.

I'm going to be honest here and say that racism in Newcastle is pretty bad too.

How many times have you been to Newcastle?

Three.

I'm not saying it's rampant or anything, but it is fairly prevalent just like most other monoethnic parts of the world

When were you here in the 70s or 80s?

Where did you stay Hotel De-Cowgate or Travel In Howden?

A smattering of middle easterners and a Chinatown the size of my office cubicle does not make you multicultural man! :lol:

In a relative sense, The northeast of England is still very ethnically uniform

Agreed... Newcastle less so than the other parts but that's to be expected of the biggest city in the region really. Durham and Sunderland aren't very multicultural places at all, and the surrounding towns and villages even less so.

Can't say I have ever encountered racism in Newcastle but as Oldtype points out, it's not exactly going to be directed at me.

When we were in Sunderland though my mates got some shocking comments, was like another world!

I'd say quite a sizeable proportion of people in Newcastle are 'casually racist' as in they haven't really been exposed to a large amount of different ethnicities so it's a bit of fun to make jokes at a 'chinkies' expense when they're not there and when properly battered it may lead to it going too far. However if your on about proper racism as in hating someone just because of their ethnicity, I'd say Newcastle is very good in that respect.

But it's not relatively prevalent out and about in Newcastle, you are talking utter bollocks.

I'm not though!

Perhaps you're just overestimating what 'prevalent' means, but it is certainly more overt than in the other parts of the western world I'm used to working in/visiting

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Drunken idiots saying stupid idiotic stuff, doesn't count for the vast majority of people in Newcastle, at least not to the level of it being 'very bad' as you said. I can see it might seem that way if the three times you've been over here you've heard some bad stuff, but I think I can count on one hand the amount of racist comments I've heard in my life time living in Newcastle... most of them from my Nana.  :doh:

I just can't understand this. You've been to Newcastle three times, the same part three times, yet you're commenting on the entire area and the people who live in it? Newcastle City Centre has a lot of ethnic groups due to the Universities there. Gateshead and the West End of Newcastle has a large Jewish and Asian Community too. I'm not denying racism in Newcastle, it will happen, as there are stupid, ill educated people everywhere.

It'll all come down to personal experiences, and from what I've seen in 26 years I haven't seen or experienced a vast majority of it, to the levels of it being 'very bad'. Though, as I said, if you've been here 3 times, and each time experienced it, then yeah, I can see why you might think that. However, to turn that experience into a generalisation of Newcastle and the people who live in it? Well, to me, that's just as ill educated as the racism.

I'd say quite a sizeable proportion of people in Newcastle are 'casually racist' as in they haven't really been exposed to a large amount of different ethnicities so it's a bit of fun to make jokes at a 'chinkies' expense when they're not there and when properly battered it may lead to it going too far. However if your on about proper racism as in hating someone just because of their ethnicity, I'd say Newcastle is very good in that respect.

I'd tend to agree.

It's just the way we speak. The amount of people i know who'll ask if anybody wants a 'Chinkies' is very common. But it doesn't mean people hate them.

Also, only place I ever got abuse when playing football younger, being canny tanned, was from a team in pennywell and another mackem team, although the pennywell one could be forgiven as frankly I'd be a bitter cunt to the world if I lived there.

Drunken idiots saying stupid idiotic stuff, doesn't count for the vast majority of people in Newcastle, at least not to the level of it being 'very bad' as you said. I can see it might seem that way if the three times you've been over here you've heard some bad stuff, but I think I can count on one hand the amount of racist comments I've heard in my life time living in Newcastle... most of them from my Nana.  :doh:

I just can't understand this. You've been to Newcastle three times, the same part three times, yet you're commenting on the entire area and the people who live in it? Newcastle City Centre has a lot of ethnic groups due to the Universities there. Gateshead and the West End of Newcastle has a large Jewish and Asian Community too. I'm not denying racism in Newcastle, it will happen, as there are stupid, ill educated people everywhere.

It'll all come down to personal experiences, and from what I've seen in 26 years I have seen or experienced a vast majority of it, to the levels of it being 'very bad'. Though, as I said, if you've been here 3 times, and each time experienced it, then yeah, I can see why you might think that. However, to turn that experience into a generalisation of Newcastle and the people who live in it? Well, to me, that's just as ill educated as the racism.

I never generalized. If you want the meticulously de-generalized version, I believe there are more people in Newcastle that have less experience with other ethnicities and therefor might be more overtly racist sometimes compared to other cities with larger ethnic minorities

Agree with alimo, I'd say racism is fairly casual in my parts being a small mining village because it's not exactly swamped with all different cultures, it's not that anyone hates people from other cultures(some may do can't vouch for them all) it's just most ain't aware that saying something as simple as 'chinkies' could be deemed offensive. We are simple folk over in north Tyneside :)

I never knew Chinky was an offensive term until it was brought up on here once and explained. I just thought it was a 'short' way of saying Chinese  :blush:

:lol:

I've got a Chinese ,mate and everybody uses the term with him and when he's around. I suppose it's just how easily people are offended. I wouldn't be offended if i was in another country and somebody called me a Brit, as it's a shortened name for British.

However, if it was used in a derogatory racist manner, that's where the problems start. I cannot comment though as i have obviously never experienced racism first hand as i live in the majority.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

How come us Brits don't get offended by the term Brit.  :lol: Even on Xbox Live when some US kid starts shouting Limey at me in a high pitched squeal I don't really understand the insult. I had to go research it myself, to understand what he was trying to get at, only to discover it was due to some stupid thing where we sucked on Limes to try and avoid scurvy (which didn't work). I think I prefer it when they just try and insult my Mother.  :lol:

How come us Brits don't get offended by the term Brit.  :lol: Even on Xbox Live when some US kid starts shouting Limey at me in a high pitched squeal I don't really understand the insult. I had to go research it myself, to understand what he was trying to get at, only to discover it was due to some stupid thing where we sucked on Limes to try and avoid scurvy (which didn't work). I think I prefer it when they just try and insult my Mother.  :lol:

:spit:

F***ing Yanks man :lol:

I love getting them worked up. How could limey possibly be offensive man! Even considering the historical relevance :lol:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

How come us Brits don't get offended by the term Brit.  :lol: Even on Xbox Live when some US kid starts shouting Limey at me in a high pitched squeal I don't really understand the insult. I had to go research it myself, to understand what he was trying to get at, only to discover it was due to some stupid thing where we sucked on Limes to try and avoid scurvy (which didn't work). I think I prefer it when they just try and insult my Mother.  :lol:

:spit:

F***ing Yanks man :lol:

I love getting them worked up. How could limey possibly be offensive man! Even considering the historical relevance :lol:

Nee idea. Its like when they shout 'GO GET A CUP OF TEA!', I think, 'Well, actually... I might'.