NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

We're open for a signing of a striker again, according to Douglas in Sunday Sun. Hopefully nothing to do with Ba :anguish:

NEWCASTLE United hope to make a January breakthrough in the next 10 days – and they may yet land a striker this month.

That is the upbeat message after an encouraging week on Tyneside that began with the club’s key power brokers meeting at a plush five-star Quayside hotel to talk targets.

The Sunday Sun can reveal that boss Alan Pardew was in attendance at the summit along with the club’s managing director Derek Llambias, back in the North East after a short Christmas break. And it went well, with all of the club’s key men now singing from the same hymn sheet when it comes to recruitment.

Although money is tight – a budget of around £8million has been mooted – the news from up high is that there IS additional cash there for an exceptional player if he becomes available at the right price.

And some of the stars put to Newcastle’s hierarchy by busy agents and representatives from cash-strapped clubs have changed their thinking in this window. So much so that a deal for a domestic-based striker is now being actively talked about – a U-turn on the stated policy that only one defender will be added this month.

Also a defender, who "is going to be under 26 years" is beeing mooted.

But Pardew has confirmed to the Sunday Sun that the club won’t be signing ANYONE over 26.

That means talk of a move for James Collins, which was doing the rounds once again in the Midlands this week, looks to be nothing more than agent chatter.

Instead, United are plotting moves for young up-and-coming players who may not command an immediate place in the team. They have watched Sheffield United’s Harry Maguire and Brighton’s Lewis Dunk on several occasions. “The player (coming in) will certainly be under 26,” Pardew confirmed to the Sunday Sun.

Guest bimpy474

Shola is very consistently not a goal threat and can't run, and Best's out of form.

We need a starting striker right now.

Starting striker and a back up defender would be common sense, only hope Pardew can pursuade dumb and dumber that though.

We should just go and sign Moussa Sow for the €12m or whatever it is. If he's good (and I'm pretty sure he would be) we can sell him on for more or keep him and give him the no. 9. Obviously won't happen though.

If Marveaux's back soon, we don't really need a winger just yet. Need centre half cover and a good striker to play with Ba. Looks like Ben Arfa might play on the wing now

We should just go and sign Moussa Sow for the €12m or whatever it is. If he's good (and I'm pretty sure he would be) we can sell him on for more or keep him and give him the no. 9. Obviously won't happen though.

If Marveaux's back soon, we don't really need a winger just yet. Need centre half cover and a good striker to play with Ba. Looks like Ben Arfa might play on the wing now

Not for me, Sow is too similar to Ba and he also happens to play for the same team as Ba and away at AFCON i dont really want two main strikers away in January at the same time......

If we were to buy a striker i want one that compliments Ba perfectly and preferably not African.

Shola is very consistently not a goal threat and can't run, and Best's out of form.

Starting striker and a back up defender would be common sense, only hope Pardew can pursuade dumb and dumber that though.

That article above seems to suggest this could be so. Won't be holding my breath though.

A defender brought in as cover should be the priority atm imo.

Not for me, Sow is too similar to Ba and he also happens to play for the same team as Ba and away at AFCON i dont really want two main strikers away in January at the same time......

If we were to buy a striker i want one that compliments Ba perfectly and preferably not African.

Shane Long would have been perfect imo

Guest bimpy474

That article above seems to suggest this could be so. Won't be holding my breath though.

A defender brought in as cover should be a priority atm though.

Aye that article does lean that way, hope so like.

Guest VaVaVoom

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/01/08/newcastle-forward-thinking-on-transfer-targets-79310-30078907/2/

I can’t envisage bringing in a player who will go straight into this football team, if I’m honest.

Not sure what to make of that. If it's defensive cover then I'm fine with it, but we still need a quality attacker IMO.

But like he said in another article, any player coming in will have to be patient for their chance.

I reckon it could be Rhodes to be honest.

Shola missed a big chance yesterday, but when he's got the ball inside the box he is always a goal threat. He should absolutely be first choice with Ba away, as these are the sorts of situations where he gets into a bit of form. When he's got an opportunity to show that he is the main man.

Best is constantly offside and isn't attacking the ball inside the box. He's not finding himself in those good positions he was earlier in the season and looks short on confidence. I was going to say that he's stopped holding the ball up too, but to be fair to him, it was a nice bit of play for the Jonas assist. That said, Shola held up the ball much better than him after he came on. Best's a liability in the final third for us at the moment and i wouldn't have him in the side - assuming Ben Arfa is going to revert to the number 10 role.

Guest VaVaVoom

Ba plays much deeper than Sow, doesn't he? I would've thought it'd be a good partnership if anything

If we were to go for Sow it would be in the summer i reckon.

Ba plays much deeper than Sow, doesn't he? I would've thought it'd be a good partnership if anything

Not a hope in hell of us signing Sow at any time.

Guest VaVaVoom

Not a hope in hell of us signing Sow at any time.

Why?

He will know Cabaye well from Lille and Ba from international duty...should we get into europe that would give us a great chance.

Shola missed a big chance yesterday, but when he's got the ball inside the box he is always a goal threat.

It seldom happens, though.