NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Guest Flatline

Unbelievable that people would replace Nolan, never mind replacing him Stephen Ireland.

You got to see the whole picture. Yes, Nolan has scored 11 goals. But he also hinders our play to an extent. Without Barton, our midfield is helpless. Then we have nobody to distribute  , except Tiote, but that's not his original responsibility, but it falls on him anyway because Nolan is useless outside the box.

He's similar to Bent in that he plays in a way that makes him look good, but not the others. Nolan doesn't make the other players around him better.   It's just the opposite: He doesn't take the ball with him (like offensive cm should do), running straight against the defenders which then will force one of them to push forward. That disorganized the defense and creates room for overlapping players, which Nolan then could pass to. The wide man will in such an situation have two options, he can go directly at goal, or run down to the line and hit a 45 degree pass to Nolan who's steaming into the box. This kind of play does not occur frequently with us, because Nolan's style prevents it.

It's the offensive cm's responsibility to put other players in such good positions in, which  Nolan never does! That makes everything more difficult  for Jonas and Enrique since the only way they're able to get down the flank is when they're doing it by themselves or combining between them.  Nolan never runs towards them, inviting to triangle play or trying to set up a breakthrough with a pass, like he should do.  A player like HBA, will probably score 5-6 goals himself, set up more assists to Best and the new attacker, and even managed to create goals for Jonas and Enrique. In sum, the amount of goals he creates for others and bags himself, will far outweigh all goals Nolan manages during one season. And that's why Nolan should be on the bench from August.

+1, agree to most if not all of the above.

Additionally, what people seem to forget is that we are a newly promoted team who desperately need the entire XI to contribute.

People here operating with rhethorics that wenger and Ferguson would take bite our hand off if we offered them 11 additional goals every season but little else. The crux of the matter is that while they have such a quality in their team to afford 1-2 freeloaders, we don`t. How many goals have we conceded because of our inability to dominate the midfield? Answer? You are right, its not possible to even try to predict that, but as we all know the midfield wins matches.  Nolans job is not to score goals. Yet he does, in his own lampardesque way. Thats great and all, but his job first and foremost is the direct the midfield and tie it together. Something he does not do. All the goals in the world does not free him of that responsibility. I`d love for a future midfielder to do what Nolan does, captain the team and score goals often. But for the moment, what we need is a fit creative midfielder who can invite and contribute to offensive raids. Nolan is blue in the face after 10 minutes and have the conditioning of a pub player.

We need a CM who does his job. Anything besides that is a bonus, but the position needs to be what it is, not what Kevin Nolan makes it out to be.

Highest scoring midfielder in the league, and people still want him dropped.

Can't stand him as a person or a footballer, but until he stops coming up with the goods, he'll be one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Can't stand him as a person or a footballer, but until he stops coming up with the goods, he'll be one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Why?

I'm not arguing that he should be dropped now, but next season. What I've highlighted in bold, sums up everything very nicely imo..

Guest Roger Kint

Its baffling when we have so many far more pressing issues that need dealt with people still talk as if Nolan will be anything but a regular starter.

Guest Flatline

Its baffling when we have so many far more pressing issues that need dealt with people still talk as if Nolan will be anything but a regular starter.

Yeah, before adressing Nolan we should be looking at the lack of midfield capacity aside from Tiot.. wait a minute..

http://i.imgur.com/vANbl.gif

Guest Roger Kint

Sometimes it can be fun trying to educate morons, other days like today its simply tedious and dull. If you think our squads biggest weakness is who plays alongside Tiote then there is nothing worthwhile to say to you on the subject. 

It annoys me how crap Nolan can be but hey, he scores a lot.

Well yeah. Can understand that opinion, as I share it. But saying he should be dropped from side is ridiculous. Without his goals, we'd really be in a relegation battle.

I suppose it could be argued that with a good creative and goalscoring midfielder, we could be pushing the top 6, but for now there are more pressing issues within the squad that must be resolved.

Well yeah. Can understand that opinion, as I share it. But saying he should be dropped from side is ridiculous. Without his goals, we'd really be in a relegation battle.

Again, I'm referring to NEXT season.

Virtually in place. :lol:

Howay Dave. We're confident our bids will be accepted and the players will come, it would be inappropriate to say otherwise until Chelsea actually accept our £2m bid for Lampard.

Guest Roger Kint

If only he backed up his view somewhere in his post that Nolan is still not our most pressing issue this summer, oh hang on.........

He might score a lot, but how many goals has he cost us? Not saying he has cost us any, just wondering. Generally when our midfield gets over run its his fault. So a fair few I reckon, maybe more than he's scored.

Guest Roger Kint

This whole "two international players" jazz brings up really, really bad memories of Kinnear.

I wasnt aware Kinnear worked for the Journal, considering the club have said nothing on this subject it would be nothing like that buffoon

This whole "two international players" jazz brings up really, really bad memories of Kinnear.

I wasnt aware Kinnear worked for the Journal, considering the club have said nothing on this subject it would be nothing like that buffoon

Thank you, I was missing my daily dose of pedantic.

Guest Roger Kint

Thank you, I was missing my daily dose of pedantic.

My pleasure, any future failures of the bleeding obvious be rest assured i will keep you in the right direction.

He'll be a first team starter next season.

Given how little credit Nolan gets for just about anything, I could easily see the Pissi bet being repeated at the beginning of next season.

But do you believe he's actually a good Premiership-level midfielder?

I don't think he's a liability.

Given how little credit Nolan gets for just about anything, I could easily see the Pissi bet being repeated at the beginning of next season.

But do you believe he's actually a good Premiership-level midfielder?

I don't think he's a liability.

Fair play, I probably don't either, at the moment he is offering enough to offset his faults.

If I was a Premier League midfielder I would love to play against him though.