Best England XI in your lifetime

James

GK - Shilton

RB - Neville

LB - Pearce

CB - Campbell

CB - Wright (Thought he would complement Campbell best)

RM - Beckham

CM - Ince

CM - Scholes

LM - Gazza (Can drift where ever he likes, hence why Pearce makes LB instead of Cole)

CF - Shearer

CF - Rooney

Sub GK - Seaman

Def - Adams

Def - Ferdinand

Def - Cole

Mid - Gerrard

Mid - Platt

Att - Sheringham

Att - Lineker

Guest Roger Kint

Since 1978

Shilton

Neville - Adams - Walker - Cole

Robson - Gazza - Hoddle

Beardsley

Lineker - Rooney

Subs: Seaman, Butcher, Pearce, Shearer, Platt, Keegan, Barnes

Shearer above Rooney?

:dowie:

??? Has Rooney really done owt for England yet? This set of qualifiers has been the only time he's been anything like prolific. Shearer was one goal short of an exactly 1 in 2 record for England. Went out at the right time aswell.

____________________________Seamen_________________________

g.neville___________R.Ferdinand_______T.Adams____________A.cole

D.Beckham_________P.gascgoine_______P.Scholes___________J.Cole

__________________A.Shearer_________W.rooney________________

Better for England tbh. Rooney's only looked capable of performing as a team player since Heskey's international redemption. Being the exemplary centre-forward, Shearer didn't have to rely on a partner.

:doh: At the penalty comment btw. In an England thread, too...

Rooney has more goals from open play in less appearances for England. It's not a card I particularly want to play but wouldn't you have been about 9 when Shearer retired? What are you going on here?

Being a Shearer fanboy, basically (i do question those stats though, but i'll believe you...). I still think Shearer did more for the national team though. Like i say, he was the ultimate team player. Rooney's only looked remotely capable of playing with someone other than himself in the last year or two. Plus, he let us down seriously badly in 06. Not only the ridiculous stamp on Carvalho but being half-fit n'all.

I wouldn't bet against him being one of the best fairly soon like, now he's seemingly put behind the spoilt brat attitude within.

born 1969 so seen a few england teams but no decent consistent left winger/midfielder - always been a problem. barnes scored against brazil and had a great 15mins as sub vs argentina in WC1986 but that was it.

born 1969 so seen a few england teams but no decent consistent left winger/midfielder - always been a problem. barnes scored against brazil and had a great 15mins as sub vs argentina in WC1986 but that was it.

I'd agree. I was a bit surprised at how often Barnes appeared in people's teams. He never really convinced at international level.

Gerrard doesn't appear as much as I'd hope. He's frequently under-rated on here, and I don't really know why. I think he's a great player.

I was tempted to pick Beckham as a wing-back in a 3-5-2. IMO his best performances for England came in that position, where we still had the benefits of his crossing and his set pieces but he didn't mess up the shape of the midfield.

Shearer took penalties, and like Rooney (so far) only had one good tournament. I know we all love him, but never is he better than Rooney.

When we signed him, Shearer was just about the best CF in Europe - he is a better leader of the line than Rooney(physically stronger)and he and Lineker at their peak would have been devastating - esp with Beardsley behind them.

Shearer took penalties, and like Rooney (so far) only had one good tournament. I know we all love him, but never is he better than Rooney.

Do you mean on England form or just in general?

Rooney over Owen? I know we all hate him but at his best Owen was sensational for England. In major tournaments and at knock out stages as well.

He was far from it barring France '98.

When we signed him, Shearer was just about the best CF in Europe - he is a better leader of the line than Rooney(physically stronger)and he and Lineker at their peak would have been devastating - esp with Beardsley behind them.

Better than Ronaldo? No.

And never stronger than Rooney during his England years, not in a million years.

Rooney over Owen? I know we all hate him but at his best Owen was sensational for England. In major tournaments and at knock out stages as well.

He was far from it barring France '98.

And at the end of the day that was just a substitute appearance against Romania and the Argentina game.

Both.

Well now Rooney is what you would class as an out and out striker I don't think he's ever been better than Shearer in those regards then. At the same age I would have rather of had Shearer in my team than Rooney.

Better than Ronaldo? No.

And never stronger than Rooney during his England years, not in a million years.

Tbf though when we signed Shearer Ronaldo had only just moved to Barcelona so that was a legitimate claim. Only for about a month mind. ;)

Better than Ronaldo? No.

Different kinds of strength really. Shearer could use his strength to bully and intimidate defenders whereas Rooney's strength lies in holding people off when running with the ball. A bit like how Gazza was deceptively strong.