FA Coaching Badges

Ash

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

No problem guys. I'll take a few pictures from inside the book. On talk sport at the moment the whole management/coaching structure is coming under fire because of the England U19's against Spain. 

Idiots. If they had won, they'd be saying the Coaching Structure was perfect. Its when they attack grassroots that I get angry. We can teach them all the technical side of the game, but the sad truth is its the Professional Academies that mess it all up. They choose the more physical advanced each and everytime.

Totally agree with you there, and then you think how many fantastic technically gifted players have England produced in the last 20 years? A very small amount unfortunately.

Has anyone done the FA Youth Award?

http://www.northumberlandfa.com/Development/CoachEducation/FAYouthAward/

Thinking about it, as the Academy side is where I'd hope to coach in the future, so was looking for some feedback.

I was looking in my file the other day about possible routes in football, and that is the bottom way to reach Managing the entire academy. But you can skip it all by getting the UEFA A Licence and moving straight into it i think.

But one of my Tutors says he highly recommends it.

There does seem to be a feeling that this is what clubs will be looking for, and the FA will be pushing, when it comes from recruitment at Academy level on the back of the 'World Cup Issues'. My only concern is what is the course actually about? Is it just how to speak to children? Very little info on it, for something that is £110.

Especially, when I think, I've learned alot just from reading the FA Book on Pyschology in regards to wording things to have a more influential and positive vibe, setting challenges and understanding children.

My level 1/2 came in the post last week done a whole year on it at college was a good laugh

Considering doing level 3 but by the sounds of it its a 100% theory and a 2 year course which i dont really fancy

Nice on, Jeffers  :thup: I'd go for LVL3, but thats just me. If you're looking for a job, thats the way to go.

Any books that people can reccomend with regards to coaching? I want to look into this, just for my own game more than anything.

In what area?

Guest jeffers09

Jeffers

could you quickly run through a few tips for me to help me pass my Level 2 if thats ok?

Basicaly mate just get your folder work sorted quick as possible think you have to do about 12 different sessions plans and reviews which takes quite a while.

With your practical final exam just keep things simple my main topic was on turning  i had 6 on outside 6 on inside id get the player on outside to pass to a player on inside he would do a turn then go and pass to another on outside and so on .progression leave 4 on outside pair the other 8 up a player on outside will pass it in to the player in front he will look to turn his player and get it to another outside man.

In the 3rd part the mini game i just made the area of the pitch small to encourage the turns.

.Remember to get the players involved ask them to show you different types of turns or whatever your session is but make sure the player is half decent or you'l get some fool triping over his feet making you look bad.

.Step in when you see someone doing something wrong and explain to them how its done.

.Also bibs always help not using them will confuse you.

Thats it really just look confident and be clear when speaking and show the assessor you know what your talking about. Hope that helps.

I'm doing Samba soccer this week and it's weird how different it can be to my regular sessions. For example there is no set structure to the session, sure I give the kids a trick or skill and then they practice it before finishing with a game in comparison to planning a session with progressions on a certain area like heading. However given the way English coaching has been highlighted recently you would think it should be better because of the structure. Maybe its a case of the kid has talent, give them the time to practice that talent with some advice along the way as opposed to giving kids drills and trying to mould them into a certain type of player. It's good to see the different types of resources available and I'm sure they will be useful.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Well something to give me an idea of each players role, and attributes required for the role, and possibly skill sets or training relative to the role.

The 'Master the Game' series GK, Defender, Midfielder, Striker would cover that, I've got the defender one and its decent enough. Does a good job of making you think about how to coach the aspects, as well as making the basics pretty clear.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Master-Game-Defender-Paul-Broadbent/dp/0340928395

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Master-Game-Mid-Fielder-Paul-Broadbent/dp/0340928417/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280422996&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Master-Game-Striker-Paul-Broadbent/dp/0340928387/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280423027&sr=1-1

I'm doing Samba soccer this week and it's weird how different it can be to my regular sessions. For example there is no set structure to the session, sure I give the kids a trick or skill and then they practice it before finishing with a game in comparison to planning a session with progressions on a certain area like heading. However given the way English coaching has been highlighted recently you would think it should be better because of the structure. Maybe its a case of the kid has talent, give them the time to practice that talent with some advice along the way as opposed to giving kids drills and trying to mould them into a certain type of player. It's good to see the different types of resources available and I'm sure they will be useful.

If I had the money, I'd love to go to different countries and take in workshops. Certainly something to think about if I can make it Full Time as a coach.

---

Also, pretty new out: http://www.play.com/Books/Books/-/216/273/-/14874980/Psychology-In-Football/Product.html?searchtype=genre

Anyone had a chance to read it or seen reviews? The psychological side of coaching has really gripped me lately.

Also, pretty new out: http://www.play.com/Books/Books/-/216/273/-/14874980/Psychology-In-Football/Product.html?searchtype=genre

Anyone had a chance to read it or seen reviews? The psychological side of coaching has really gripped me lately.

Haven't read it, chapters look good and Mark Nesti is lecturer at Liverpool John Moores which is decent for it's sport psychology. If anyone gets it, let me know what it's like.

Guest jeffers09

Cheers mate.

So basically keep it clear, simple and organised? :)

I'd like to think i can get through it ok. Any idea what your class succession rate was?

100% i think

not exactly sure how many goes at it you are allowed i passed mine the 2nd time as i was boarderline to begin with

there was a lad who had 4/5 attempts at it, only a handful passed 1st time.

Cheers mate.

I'd like to think i can get through it ok. Any idea what your class succession rate was?

Make sure you know exactly what your topic requires in the session, as a few people when I done my level 2 assessment last year struggled with that. They ended up coaching a totally different topic to the one they were actually given.

I no the level 2 pass rate isn't too high. But I passed mine first time and I am pretty sure only 3 people failed on the assessment day I was on.

Another tip is to use the wipe boards as the Fa seem to be really pushing the visual aids before the sessions.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Cheers mate.

Make sure you know exactly what your topic requires in the session, as a few people when I done my level 2 assessment last year struggled with that. They ended up coaching a totally different topic to the one they were actually given.

I no the level 2 pass rate isn't too high. But I passed mine first time and I am pretty sure only 3 people failed on the assessment day I was on.

Another tip is to use the wipe boards as the Fa seem to be really pushing the visual aids before the sessions.

Yeah, even if you can't use that, make sure any explaining you do, you use the players and go through what you mean, this was stressed even at lvl1.

Do they give you the wipe boards to use? Or do you have to bring them in?

Cheers Caz and Chris

You have to get your own. When I done my level 2 course the wipe boards we're just starting to be phased in. I didn't use them on that course or on my final assessment (some people did).

But now i've done my level 3 course I have bought a board, as you can fail your level 3 for not having the visual aids. So I have to get used to coaching using the set up in the wipe board and explaining it.

Another thing is the 4 corner model, they are big on that too! Even if you don't do that normally in training sessions for your assessment  just having a few points on it for your topic would be an added bonus to the assessor.

Guest Heneage

I assume with all this work Caz you intend to do this as your profession? If so high are you aiming job wise?

Also where can I get one of those wipe boards? :aww:

I assume with all this work Caz you intend to do this as your profession? If so high are you aiming job wise?

Tesco i think.

On the topic of level 2. When you get a topic for your assessment, does it have to be one you've been taught or can you bring in something a bit/or completely different as long as it is on your topic?

Guest jeffers09

Tesco i think.

On the topic of level 2. When you get a topic for your assessment, does it have to be one you've been taught or can you bring in something a bit/or completely different as long as it is on your topic?

ask the assesor to be sure  but im sure they would encourage fresh ideas

Any idea were i can find what college's are doing level 3 in Birmingham obi?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

http://www.birminghamfa.com/NR/rdonlyres/CFF7C85A-F5C2-4C46-8665-84EA2A457B1F/0/CoachEducationCentres.pdf

.pdf file of every Coach Education Center in Birmingham, with contact name, address & number. Giving them a ring should help you find out when they're holding their next LVL3 course. Couldn't find anything on the Birmingham FA website, but LVL3 tend to be pretty centrally organised.

That is the plan, with having my Sport Science degree and then working towards my level 3. The US was a good experience last year, but a job in football here would be brilliant and my main aim.

I bought mine online, I'll find it again later.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Might hate myself for this but...

Anyone else applied for the Football Academy Coach at Monkseaton High school? Seems to be plenty of schools setting up their own academies now.

Yes i know somebody on my level 2 who has. Dead canny bloke. Has a uni qualification.

My neck of the woods Monkey and they seem to be very serious about developing the academy and moving away from the whole 6th form thing

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Aye, thought I'd be up against someone like that. No idea on the salary though, not mentioned anywhere. Not even sure if there is one, or if its a volunteer job like a normal grass roots club.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Just level 1, experience working with the age group and a lot of begging. So, probably won't get it if uni grads are going for it.  :lol: