The Liverpool Thread

Parky

Was considering on going to Anfield in May for us vs them. I may not now if there's a semblance of a chance that a win against us would seal the title.

I'm 100% going. Imagine we ruin it for them. Even if they won it, would be a great sporting event to be at. Don't hate them as much anymore. Maybe cos im paying less attention to fighting our corner and they are actually great to watch

Was considering on going to Anfield in May for us vs them. I may not now if there's a semblance of a chance that a win against us would seal the title.

Don't hate them as much anymore. Maybe cos im paying less attention to fighting our corner and they are actually great to watch

This is what I'm starting to feel as well.

Don't worry. I'm sure a day with our fans will set you straight :thup:

:okay:

It'd be very irritating if they won it, but it would be good for the Premiership as a whole if someone other than Man City or Chelsea came out on top.

It's looking ominous. They've got a great counter-attacking game and they're not under as much pressure as the other teams. They are the underdogs in this situation.

It'd be very irritating if they won it, but it would be good for the Premiership as a whole if someone other than Man City or Chelsea came out on top.

It's looking ominous. They've got a great counter-attacking game and they're not under as much pressure as the other teams. They are the underdogs in this situation.

they also have no european commitments, of course, unlike the russians and arabs

they also have no european commitments, of course, unlike the russians and arabs

You realise you are now an official Pardew Apologist, don't you?

You realise you are now an official Pardew Apologist, don't you?

http://imgur.com/aM1fhhe.jpg

Two years ago this lot were worse than us, then they realised they didn't want to be rubbish and changed their manager. It isn't even like they made wholesale changes to their team; Coutinho's great but there's only really Sturrudge who's provided a major upgrade on the playing staff.

'Can't compete'. Yes you fucking can, never mind CL qualification, this lot are going for the league.

needs to be some perspective here like, by the same token as we're saying we should be capitalising on the shit league this year and pushing for europe they're capitalising on an average title race and the total collapse of manyoo

i'm not knocking them but if they don't win it this year they'll need heavy investment to keep that challenge up next year imho, it's a real opportunity for them now 'cause next year either way they're going to have CL to contend with as well

I don't think it makes a difference. Yes, they've exploited the league's current transitional period, so why couldn't we? There's nothing that's given them the edge beyond actually wanting to win - then changing the manager as a result of this ambition. It's not like they've spent an inordinate amount of cash since Rodgers arrived. Like I said, we were actually better than them a couple years ago.

Guest neesy111

Liverpool's team was always better than ours the year we finished above them (remember they did win a trophy as well), was just badly managed by a dinosaur of a manager.

I don't think it makes a difference. Yes, they've exploited the league's current transitional period, so why couldn't we? There's nothing that's given them the edge beyond actually wanting to win - then changing the manager as a result of this ambition. It's not like they've spent an inordinate amount of cash since Rodgers arrived. Like I said, we were actually better than them a couple years ago.

Rodgers has spent something like 100 million in two seasons :lol: Then they spent well over a 100 million couple of seasons prior to that :lol: They've did a lot more than just change a couple of managers!

i was really referring to the last line of your post yorkie, it's not like they've bridged a massive gap by deciding to "compete", the others have all stumbled again (similar last year except fergie didn't let manyoo) due to transitioning new managers

point being if they don't win it now it'll be much, much harder next year imho unless they spend sovereign state money which we know they won't

Maybe I shouldn't have argued it from the money angle. Point is, the disparate attitudes (thus changing manager) is what has transformed Liverpool from a team that was worse than us, to a team that is lightyears ahead. Yes they've made some smart signings but the team has hardly been transformed since Dalglish was there (that was my point re: the spending).

Sir Alex's departure was always going to throw the league into flux and there's no reason for why we couldn't have made a shot at the big time, especially after the foundations of that 5th season squad.

To assume we couldn't have followed a similar trajectory to Liverpool is small-time and makes you a victim of Ashley's 'lower the expectations!' policy. Imo.

Yeah their owner has been excellent. Thought Liverpool fans were being very harsh on him, along with Rodgers, for not spending in Jan considering the amount he's already put into them. Should count themselves lucky.

Maybe I shouldn't have argued it from the money angle. Point is, the disparate attitudes (thus changing manager) is what has transformed Liverpool from a team that was worse than us, to a team that is lightyears ahead. Yes they've made some smart signings but the team has hardly been transformed since Dalglish was there.

Sir Alex's departure was always going to throw the league into flux and there's no reason for why we couldn't have made a shot at the big time, especially after the foundations of that 5th season squad.

again, iirc, liverpool appointed rodgers with the view that it might take him 5 years or more to get them challenging again...i think this season is an anomaly of sorts and while they'll be challenging for CL spot they probably won't be challenging for the title next year

unless of course he's just an absolute genius and keeps getting better

they'll need to upgrade gerrard, lucas, allen, henderson and 2-3 of their CB's if they want to go places long-term

he's getting a lot out of them at the moment, but i honestly can't see them being consistent challengers with that lot

plus they'll need effective backup for sturridge's injuries and suarez's goofy eating habits

I hate Liverpool just as much as the next guy but I have to admit they've played some very nice football this season, very impressive and easy on the eye. Wouldn't mind if they won it rathen than City or Chelsea.

I hate Liverpool just as much as the next guy but I have to admit they've played some very nice football this season, very impressive and easy on the eye. Wouldn't mind if they won it rathen than City or Chelsea.

True, unfortunately.