South American Football In Crisis

Thespence

I just don't see the point you're making, it's as if you're clinging onto any kind of glory.

If somebody asks me where I'm from I don't say Europe, I'd say England. Europe is a continental landmass and not much more, there is no reason to feel any connection to the likes of Germany and Spain ahead of the South Americans.

More Europeans in the Semis means absolutely nothing.

amazing comment

Amazingly true comment.

Amazing that any European could say that tbh. Beggars belief.

There always been that Europe V South America thing about number of wins as well as balance of power. If the winner is from Europe it would be the first time in ages since one the two continents has won two W/C's off the bounce.

Sure Europe might win the World Cup but hey. Out of 5 south american teams in the world cup. 3 went packing in the quarterfinals, and one most probably will in the semi-final.

Europe have 3 teams left out of like 15 teams to be honest.

Not saying European football isn't the best, just saying that percentagewise, we have still been better.

2014 is going to be interesting. Europe never winning a W/C in the Americas (or outside of Europe atm).

As for stats no one has done as well as  Oceania with 1 team in & they never lost a game.

I just don't see the point you're making, it's as if you're clinging onto any kind of glory.

If somebody asks me where I'm from I don't say Europe, I'd say England. Europe is a continental landmass and not much more, there is no reason to feel any connection to the likes of Germany and Spain ahead of the South Americans.

amazing comment

Amazingly true comment.

I don't class myself as a continent. I class myself as a nationality. I couldn't give a toss about which continent the WC winner is from when it's not my country. Sure, I have some countries I'd rather see win a WC than others. But neither of those are from Europe. Well, thinking about it that is wrong, I don't really mind Sweden doing well.

In general I have a strong dislike for most European national football teams.

Guest elbee909

Culturally I feel more kinship with the Germans than I do quite a few other teams, and ultimately they play a kind of football that is highly competent, without being overly showy and not diving and rolling like a bunch of cheating fuckers.  So I'm inexplicably 'proud' that they're doing well, though I have no personal ties to Germany.  I don't count myself as part of a nationality, or a continent particularly.  I identify more with a perceived set of values, rightly or wrongly.

Sure Europe might win the World Cup but hey. Out of 5 south american teams in the world cup. 3 went packing in the quarterfinals, and one most probably will in the semi-final.

Europe have 3 teams left out of like 15 teams to be honest.

Not saying European football isn't the best, just saying that percentagewise, we have still been better.

2014 is going to be interesting. Europe never winning a W/C in the Americas (or outside of Europe atm).

As for stats no one has done as well as  Oceania with 1 team in & they never lost a game.

But hey they didn't qualify did they? wow. (From the group stages)

amazing comment

Amazingly true comment.

I don't class myself as a continent. I class myself as a nationality. I couldn't give a toss about which continent the WC winner is from when it's not my country. Sure, I have some countries I'd rather see win a WC than others. But neither of those are from Europe. Well, thinking about it that is wrong, I don't really mind Sweden doing well.

In general I have a strong dislike for most European national football teams.

Exactly. Europe is nothing but a lump of land, ooh so a country is closer means I should feel more connected to it. Fuck that. If anything there should be more of a rivalry between teams from the same continent.

I'll latch onto certain countries and hope they do well, but I'd never base it on the fact they were European. For example out of the countries remaining in the competition I want Uruguay to win it, and if they don't then Netherlands. The reasoning behind supporting either of these teams has nothing to do with their geographical proximity to where I live.

Europe is a bit more than a lump of land tbh, ever heard of the European Union?

Politics is not football.

Never said it was but you said Europe was no more than a 'lump of land' which is nonsense.

Never said it was but you said Europe was no more than a 'lump of land' which is nonsense.

As far as I'm concerned it is. The political, economic etc relations of the countries doesn't influence my footballing bias.

So in terms of the relevance to this thread and to this sport, it really is nothing more than a 'lump of land' to me.

As far as I'm concerned it is. The political, economic etc relations of the countries doesn't influence my footballing bias.

So in terms of the relevance to this thread and to this sport, it really is nothing more than a 'lump of land' to me.

That is fair enough in terms of your belief but the EU is very much relevant to football these days, too much politics in the game tbh.

Why do you support Newcastle? Why do you support England? Why do you draw the line at Europe?

Erm, is there a European team like?  ???

I don't see why it's that hard to understand. I support Newcastle because I'm born there and have grown up to support that club and that it's the team I identify with. I support England because it's my country of birth and my nationality, and again it's the team I identify with.

There is nothing to identify with in terms of Europe, there is no European team to support. Just a selection of other countries that are rivalrous to each other and to my country, lots of other countries that have different languages, cultures and governments. As far as I'm concerned these other countries are just as much as rivals as South American countries are. Really why should I (or anybody in Europe) feel the need to prioritise support because of geography or politics? I think this collective 'Europe' thing is a bit stupid tbh.

Fair enough if you want to get behind your Eurobrothers though I guess...

Guest malandro

Just one guay left now.

Sepp Blatter “South American teams are successful at the moment, maybe because the players have a higher national identification.”

Perhaps he has a point. The population of England is 50m, double that of Paraguay (6m), Uruguay (3m) and Chile (17m) combined – and these three teams equalled or bettered our performance in SA. Not to mention those of Italy and France.

Or perhaps Blatter was talking shite, he usually is.

I also like the fact Blatter was biging them up & since then everyone one of them that has played a team from Europe has been knocked out. There was no African team but the people of Africa got behind Ghana, I am getting behind countries in my neck of the woods.

So you go & support Urguys for some Walter Ponce reason . Here is hoping you put a X through them soon.

Not every country is a part of the European Union, and god forbid my country ever will be.

Why not just call ourselves The United States of Europe and get it all over with? I mean, it's all about continents after all, so let's just remove the nation bit from the equation.

Fuck me this is all some bullshit. Let's all support Sunderland in the FA Cup if we go out before them, yay! They're pretty much closest after all.

Why do you support Newcastle? Why do you support England? Why do you draw the line at Europe?

I don't see why it's that hard to understand. I support Newcastle because I'm born there and have grown up to support that club and that it's the team I identify with. I support England because it's my country of birth and my nationality, and again it's the team I identify with.

There is nothing to identify with in terms of Europe, there is no European team to support. Just a selection of other countries that are rivalrous to each other and to my country, lots of other countries that have different languages, cultures and governments. As far as I'm concerned these other countries are just as much as rivals as South American countries are. Really why should I (or anybody in Europe) feel the need to prioritise support because of geography or politics? I think this collective 'Europe' thing is a bit stupid tbh.

Nearly all of Europe absolutely hate the English.

Are you still based in Europe?

Exactly.

Not every country is a part of the European Union, and god forbid my country ever will be.

Why not just call ourselves The United States of Europe and get it all over with? I mean, it's all about continents after all, so let's just remove the nation bit from the equation.

Fuck me this is all some bullshit. Let's all support Sunderland in the FA Cup if we go out before them, yay! They're pretty much closest after all.

All European countries that remain in the World Cup are members of the European Union.

Norway may not be part be a full member of the EU but you are still part of EEA and EFTA.

Exactly.

So do the other parts of Britain. The parts of Africa, South America, Middle East & Oceania.

I would say were safe with North America though.

Are you still based in Europe?

Yes mate.

Exactly.

So do the other parts of Britain. The parts of Africa, South America, Middle East & Oceania.

I would say were safe with North America though.

Only cause they've never heard of us or think London is in France near Disney World or summink...