Our Club. Our Shirt?

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

This is an awful idea by the way.

How is this even remotely an awful idea?

Anyone who wears it will look like a t***.

The Nike one? It pisses on the Puma one man.

That's not hard but how many people outside the few dozen on here are really that arsed with asthetics? Most people will invest in the kit and those that don't will stick with older/retro shirts. I don't see a market for it and I think it's pretty naff. Man United's green and gold was bad enough, Liverpool's effort is laughable and this is no better.

I don't like the retro ones very much to be honest. If I was getting a retro one, it wouldn't be one of the faux retro that you can get, it'd be a real one from eBay. (which is what I'll do if this doesn't materialise).

Anyway, I would prefer something modern looking, not as dirty cheap as the Puma one, and I'd prefer it if it wasn't just me who owned it.

:lol: I'm leaning towards that way of thinking, to be honest. I can't see how it will take off at all. I mean, how is it going to be marketed to the wider (non internet based) support? What is the driving idea behind the shirt? Is it just, 'we don't like the actual shirt'? Not trying to be a t***, I just don't really get why I'm supposed to want to buy it?

Same here. I just don't get the reasoning behind the idea. Okay, if you don't like the new shirt that's fair enough but I don't get why any fan produced shirt would be attractive alternative when there are a number of natty retro shirts easily available.

I also think we really need to draw a line under the Bobby Robson mourning. He was a great bloke and if any shirt is released I hope the proceeds go to the foundation but walking around with a bloody great big 'Robson 1' on the back? I think there's a point when we need to take a dignified step back and remember we're not scousers.

That was only a suggestion, and we don't need to put it on. I think it was designed like that to see what it would look with red numbering on the back.

I really believe that this could work, and if people are 'stupid' enough to buy a shirt for £45 just because it is from the official shop then why is there not a reason for people who are smart enough to buy a nicer looking shirt for half the price knowing that their money will go to a great cause. That's just my stance on things.

That's not hard but how many people outside the few dozen on here are really that arsed with asthetics? Most people will invest in the kit and those that don't will stick with older/retro shirts. I don't see a market for it and I think it's pretty naff. Man United's green and gold was bad enough, Liverpool's effort is laughable and this is no better.

Liverpool have sold 4,500 of their laughable shirts.

Liverpool are a laughable club with laughable fans.

As are we.

As are we.

Aye, but our laughable fans have a penchant for the official replica shirt no matter how ugly. They'll not settle for any old tat. How are the going to proudly show where they're from when they're on their jollies in Crete without an official replica shirt? God forbid they get mistaken for Notts County fans.

As are we.

Aye, but our laughable fans have a penchant for the official replica shirt no matter how ugly. They'll not settle for any old tat. How are the going to proudly show where they're from when they're on their jollies in Crete without an official replica shirt? God forbid they get mistaken for Notts County fans.

That was another option for me tbh, Notts County shirt, or maybe a local club that plays in stripes. Or Grimsby, that one looked alright.

Guest firetotheworks

I couldn't disagree more. For one, look at it this way.

The average Newcastle fan has £50 to spend.

Option 1: They can put £50 into what they perceive to be Ashley's pocket, the man that they dislike intensely, for a shirt they don't like.

Option 2: They can pay about the same for a retro shirt, but then they might already have it.

or

Option 3: Spend half the money on a shirt that they think is far better, and is going to support, not only a good cause, but one that was set up by a man that they love.

I think even those that go for option 1 and 2 would consider option 3 with the right design, publicity, and knowing that the money will go to help a good cause.

I also don't see it as grieving either. The man is seen as a legend, dead or not. Personally I'd prefer it without the Robson 1 on the back though.

Won't matter. Got a response today with the SBR foundation explaining that whilst they thought they idea was good, and that they'd be happy to accept a donation of the proceeds, they did not want to be a part of it officially unless we had the support of NUFC. Which we don't, and won't.

There's work being done on a back-up plan shirt without the SBR logo and the shirt not being mass-produced as there'll probably be a massive drop in potential interest without the SBR logo on the shirt, though. So something could still come out of this and the proceeds would still go to the foundation. :thup:

Guest firetotheworks

I imagine they wouldn't exactly be thrilled that we'd be selling a non-Puma shirt, and taking profit away from them, even if it is for The SBRF.

Guest Antigalican

Won't matter. Got a response today with the SBR foundation explaining that whilst they thought they idea was good, and that they'd be happy to accept a donation of the proceeds, they did not want to be a part of it officially unless we had the support of NUFC. Which we don't, and won't.

There's work being done on a back-up plan shirt without the SBR logo and the shirt not being mass-produced as there'll probably be a massive drop in potential interest without the SBR logo on the shirt, though. So something could still come out of this and the proceeds would still go to the foundation. :thup:

That's a real shame, but well one for putting the effort in.  O0

I was really looking forward to something in this vein as the official merchandise has become bland and like everything else, just one big corporate rip off. I think any aspect of football commercial activity that helps put money back into the local community and local busness is a fantastic principle, and I hope you get something off the ground.

Ok so why cant it be unoffical??  stick the SBRF logo on there and give them the profits.  Realy think NUFC are going to take their fans to court for this?

Guest malandro

There are plenty of other worthwhile local charities the money could go to. I kind of understand the SBRF’s position but it’s almost like they’re taking sides. Put it this way, if the club had wanted to do a range of SBRF sponsored shirts would the SBRF have insisted on the supporters endorsing the idea? And there’s more than a hint of hypocrisy in not being prepared to back the idea but being happy to take the proceeds.

The football club may be owned by one individual but NUFC belongs to the supporters. It’s an integral part of the region’s identity and has a heritage that strecthes back a hundred years. NUFC is in the fabric of the city and runs through the blood of the supporters. The idea that creating a shirt that celebrates this has to have Mike Ashley’s permission is abhorrent. 

What would the club have done if the SBRF had supported this idea, taken some kind of retaliatory action against a charity? That’d be big of them.

There are plenty of other worthwhile local charities the money could go to. I kind of understand the SBRFs position but its almost like theyre taking sides. Put it this way, if the club had wanted to do a range of SBRF sponsored shirts would the SBRF have insisted on the supporters endorsing the idea? And theres more than a hint of hypocrisy in not being prepared to back the idea but being happy to take the proceeds.

The football club may be owned by one individual but NUFC belongs to the supporters. Its an integral part of the regions identity and has a heritage that strecthes back a hundred years. NUFC is in the fabric of the city and runs through the blood of the supporters. The idea that creating a shirt that celebrates this has to have Mike Ashleys permission is abhorrent. 

What would the club have done if the SBRF had supported this idea, taken some kind of retaliatory action against a charity? Thatd be big of them.

:thup: Still think we could try the club and just not state that the shirt will look like a Newcastle Utd shirt...and try and come across well?

There are plenty of other worthwhile local charities the money could go to. I kind of understand the SBRFs position but its almost like theyre taking sides. Put it this way, if the club had wanted to do a range of SBRF sponsored shirts would the SBRF have insisted on the supporters endorsing the idea? And theres more than a hint of hypocrisy in not being prepared to back the idea but being happy to take the proceeds.

The football club may be owned by one individual but NUFC belongs to the supporters. Its an integral part of the regions identity and has a heritage that strecthes back a hundred years. NUFC is in the fabric of the city and runs through the blood of the supporters. The idea that creating a shirt that celebrates this has to have Mike Ashleys permission is abhorrent. 

What would the club have done if the SBRF had supported this idea, taken some kind of retaliatory action against a charity? Thatd be big of them.

:thup: Still think we could try the club and just not state that the shirt will look like a Newcastle Utd shirt...and try and come across well?

So what happens when they find out it looks like a Newcastle shirt? We'd have connned both NUFC and the SBR foundation then.

Malandro, don't be so silly. I'm pretty sure Newcastle United create and donate far more money/partnerships than this idea ever would. Pubically backing this idea would potentially cause a storm between the club, the fans and the charity and I don't blame them for wanting to steer clear