Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

If that was Smith's last game for us, not a bad way to go out. Best game in a black & white shirt.

Agreed. Him and Barton dominated in midfield.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/breves2010/20100823_092338_ben-arfa-pres-de-breme.html

It's funny, after yesterday I've actually started to wonder if we're better off looking elsewhere anyway.

I'm a bit torn on this one to be honest. On the one hand he's a very talented young creative midfielder, which is exactly what the team needs. But on the other hand he's another disruptive, self-obsessed moany french wanker who may well cause a rift in our harmonious team spirit.  I won't be too disappointed if we don't sign him but I will be disappointed if we don't get another creative midfielder instead.

Yeah, I dunno, I went into the game yesterday hoping that we would sign him, but I came out of the game thinking it may be better to find someone who isn't a disruptive influence (even if that means that they aren't quite as good as him). Don't get me wrong, I'd still be pleased if we signed him, but aslong as we get a decent creative player I don't mind so much.

Same. I'm probably being blinded by yesterday's performance though, fully admit that.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Yeah, I dunno, I went into the game yesterday hoping that we would sign him, but I came out of the game thinking it may be better to find someone who isn't a disruptive influence (even if that means that they aren't quite as good as him). Don't get me wrong, I'd still be pleased if we signed him, but aslong as we get a decent creative player I don't mind so much.

Same. I'm probably being blinded by yesterday's performance though, fully admit that.

Agree

Yesterday, whilst fantastic, has a danger of overshadowing our need for a bit more invention. HBA may be the answer, he may not, but our need for a playmaker is vital.

Problem is, along with strikers, they cost the most!

Big fall out between HBA's agent and father. Father accusing agent of brainwashing HBA and trying to make money out of him, agent accusing father of making threats to him, Deschamps and HBA.

http://www.maxifoot.fr/football/article-10330.htm

Throughout all this, it's been questionable who Ben Arfa's agent has been acting for. If Ben Arfa wants to join Newcastle, even if the agent thinks that's unwise, he's obliged to try to carry that out on his behalf. It's the player who instructs the agent, not the other way round.

As it is, the agent seems to have been acting on behalf of OM to try and secure a move to a different club, where both OM and the agent would benefit more financially. That's why we've got this impasse.

It's a very unusual situation, and therefore hard to predict. I still think that, in the end, things will fall our way.

It's a battle for this poor young man's soul, and his Dad, his agent and his club President are all failing him. Step up Chris, with your air of calm authority. :pow:

Guest firetotheworks

It would have been nice if this whole saga had moved along while I was too busy waxing lyrical about our performance yesterday, but alas..no.

Guest Heneage

I've gone from wanting him here, to being really unsure. His talent can't be questioned, but he seems miles away from being right mentally.

I've gone from wanting him here, to being really unsure. His talent can't be questioned, but he seems miles away from being right mentally.

Good one Stuart.

Please highlight the part of either post in which either of us were referring specifically and solely to the profession of football.

I am pissed off with it all now, I think he is just a big of a part of the trouble as OM and we are.

The entire thing is getting really silly.

His wage demands, OM's deal type the expect us to do.

Our holding out to try and make it a last minute deal so we can push it as far as we can.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/breves2010/20100823_092338_ben-arfa-pres-de-breme.html

It's funny, after yesterday I've actually started to wonder if we're better off looking elsewhere anyway.

The problem that I have with that is if we end with someone like Santa Cruz instead. It happened with Moses where we ended up buying a totally different type of striker when it wasn't what we needed. Ben Arfa is the type of player Arsenal would buy, skill and pace. How many good young strikers of that type are available in our price range?

This. We need a creative midfielder here as the gap still needs plugging away from home, but I wouldn't be overly fussed if it wasn't HBA. There's plenty more fish in the sea.

I started off dead opposed to this transfer. I couldn’t see why he wanted to join us, or why things would work out better with us than it had with his two previous clubs.

However, despite a lot of pressure and what looks like opportunities to move elsewhere, the player hasn’t budged. If anything, the relationship between the player and those opposing the move to NUFC (OM and his agent) seems to have deteriorated.

If Ben Arfa wins the game of chicken and he moves to us, then he will have taken a lot of personal responsibility in bringing it about. He will have no one to blame but himself if it ends in the same problems, so he’ll have a big incentive to knuckle down and make it work.

Why he’s chosen us is unclear but he does seem to have a lot of confidence in Hughton.