La Liga - 10/11

Neil
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest prestonj1989

I thought the real valencia match would be on but I can't find it on the programme listings.

It is on SS1 but via red button

El Mundo Deportivo claims we are apparently going to announce our first commercial sponsor, who'll share shirt space with UNICEF. "Qatar Foundation" would pay us €30m per season.

http://simdecksimulator.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/b_4793.jpg

:facepalm:

Ah well, guess we need the money.

Guest neesy111

Just confirmed by our board. Five years, €30m+performance bonuses.

Ah well, a small bit of our identity ripped apart, but we can't pretend this isn't about money.

Should this be blamed on the current board, or on the previous board for leaving the club in an financial mess?

We already considered shirt sponsors under the Laporta board, as the club was essentially bankrupt when he took over. He sought permission from the club members that voted yes, a necessary step since it wasn't allowed in our statutes. Ultimately, though, we went with the UNICEF deal. There has always been talk that this was only a "stepping stone" of sorts to get people used to a name in the shirt, and the rumors have always been there and in the past years we where linked with deals with Basf, China, Betfair...

We need the money, there's no arguing about it. But it still saddens me.

From scrying several boards it looks like opinion is split 50/50 on the issue. There are some people calling for protests/banners this weekend but I'll be honest and say that I don't expect anything massive. We are a docile set of fans why lie (we have it good afterall). And a lot of people that are disgusted (like me) understand the economic necessity of it.

I myself will abstain to buy Barça shirts for a while until I get myself to accept it, I have 10 of the feckers anyway. But I won't protest.

When you look at it it's silly since we have shitloads of sponsors anyway, and Nike pays us a king's ransom for wearing their shirts and displaying their brand, but it still doesn't feel right after all these years.

I assume how you're feeling is what people felt when it filtered in in the 70s/80s. With the added feeling of disappointment that you're one of the last out there, and you've finally given in. It is a shame, just one of those things I've always associated with Barca really. But it'll feel normal in one or two years.

These are the contending designs according to our press, apparently the board favors #1 but needs to be discussed with both Unicef and the Qataris.

http://www.sport.es/vivo/recursos/fotos/foto_456/foto_456130_CAS.jpg

I'd rather have us stop trying to have our cake and eating it and just drop UNICEF entirely (displaying the logo is just optional in our contract with them, afterall)