Premier League Dream Team Play-Off (Aston Villa) Striker poll

James
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

OK, this idea will either fall flat on its face or take off, we'll have to see.

The aim is to have a nostalgic look at the best Premier League players, including some that might not always be remembered in some of the usual dream team threads.

Every few days, we'll have a new team, and people can look back at their Premier League record, and select a best XI for that team. I will look at the general concensus, and have a poll for any contentious positions. Once the forum agree to a dream team, I'll move on to the next, and once we get our teams, I'll put them into a poll play-off to see who you think is best.

Arsenal

Seaman

Dixon Adams Campbell Cole/Winterburn

Pires Viera Fabregas Overmars

Bergkamp Henry

The teams are:

Arsenal

Aston Villa

Blackburn

Bolton

Chelsea

Everton

Fulham

Leeds

Liverpool

Man City

Man Utd

Southampton

Sunderland

Tottenham

West Ham

Best of the Rest

I have deliberately left out Newcastle as Newcastle teams have been done to death, and we are likely to be biased.

One further 'rule' is that a player can't play for two teams, so Lampard couldn't be in the West Ham and Chelsea team, sowould be in the Chelsea one as that is who his best form was for. If we get any duplicates that would have to be sorted before the playoffs.

Well Arsenal are a team split into two eras: the brilliant George Graham defensive team, and the brilliant Arsene Wenger attacking team.

In all honesty though, they were probably at their best when they were merging between the two teams, the excellent defence getting fitter, and the former attacking players being better than all of the current lot bar one.

In goal, David Seaman is indisputably the best, one of the three best English keepers of all time. He is the goalie that defined the 90s.

Tony Adams was a brilliant captain and defender, and got even better with the arrival of Wenger.

No offence to the old guard of Bould and Keown, but Campbell was a different class, one of England's best ever centre backs.

Lee Dixon seems the only valid choice of right back, a very good right back in his day, very intelligent player.

At left back, you would have to say Ashley Cole. However Chelsea might want him too. Therefore Winterburn or Clichy could sneak in as a reserve. I'd probably choose Winterburn between those two due to the defence he played in.

I'd dare anyone to say that Henry and Bergkamp were not their best strikers. Two magical and effective players.

Fabregas and Viera would have made a magical combination, so full of energy and creativity.

On the wings, Overmars is a definite. I've gone for Merson on the other wing although to be honest I'd say wings were never Arsenal's strong points, and they've always been better passing through the middle.

Great players missed include Platt, Petit, Pires, Anelka, Ljungberg, Parlour and Adebayor.

So my team would be (subject to an Arsenal vs Chelsea debate on Cole) :

Seaman

Dixon Campbell Adams Cole

Merson Fabregas Viera Overmars

Bergkamp Henry

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

-------------Seaman------------------

Cole - Campbell - Adams - Clichy

Pires - Viera - Fabregas - Overmars

-------Bergkamp----Henry------------

Have Arsenal really had such a poor selection of fullbacks over the years? OK, sure, their first choice was great, but their depth is shocking (unless I'm not thinking hard enough)l.

Have Arsenal really had such a poor selection of fullbacks over the years? OK, sure, their first choice was great, but their depth is shocking (unless I'm not thinking hard enough)l.

Dixon, Winterburn, Lauren, Cole, Luzhny, Eboue, Sagna, Clichy all played there at least fairly regularly. Not exactly poor.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Dixon, Winterburn, Lauren, Cole, Luzhny, Eboue, Sagna, Clichy all played there at least fairly regularly. Not exactly poor.

How did I forget OLEG!  :-[

Good thread, the idea of Wright, Bergkamp and Henry (all at their peak) playing together as below is fantastic.

---seaman---

Dixon---campbell---adams---cole

Pires---vieira---ljungberg

-----bergkamp-----

---wright----henry

Ok thanks for the responses.

Unless there is massive disagreement, I propose we move Seaman, Dixon, Campbell, Adams, Viera, Bergkamp, and Henry into the final Arsenal selection.

Cole also makes the team as it stands, but may need a reserve in case he makes the Chelsea team too.

I am about to set up a poll for the remaining players and the left back reserve.

Ok thanks for the responses.

Unless there is massive disagreement, I propose we move Seaman, Dixon, Campbell, Adams, Viera, Bergkamp, and Henry into the final Arsenal selection.

Cole also makes the team as it stands, but may need a reserve in case he makes the Chelsea team too.

I am about to set up a poll for the remaining players and the left back reserve.

Winterburn.

I was hoping to set up a multivote poll so I didn't have to do one at a time but it won't let me.

So first is the left back poll. Who was better, Winterburn or Clichy?

I'd say Winterburn personally.

I'm not sure how you couldn't have Pires in that team like.

I'd be surprised if the poll didn't see him through. However need to work out which wing is best for him.

Can and did play on both, same with all Arsenals widemen.

I'd be surprised if the poll didn't see him through. However need to work out which wing is best for him.

Put him on the left and Overmars on the right. They could both interchange though.

Put him on the left and Overmars on the right. They could both interchange though.

You have argued the case to me, but it hasn't quite been nearly unanimous in the nominations. Ljungberg and Wright are going to deserve a shot at getting into the team :)