Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

The thing is with Fat Mike, anything good he does is normally followed by a mighty old fuck up!

I know nothing of this Tiote, going off people's reactions here he seems a decent player and someone who is an improvement on our current midfield. If this guy is as good as people say he is and Barton (a big if) can get anywhere near his Man City form then we'd have a half decent midfield. Nolan will be the biggest worry, don't think he is capable of getting goals in the PL anymore. Ifs a pity we haven't got a good player to play of Carroll, because the lad looked impressive against Man Utd with the scraps he had to feed off. The missed chance was dissapointing but nobody needs to tell him that was poor.

Anyway, from the reaction on here and the fact he helped an unfancied team to the Ducth Championship last season I'd be happy with this purchase, seems the right age and the right type of player we need. If only we could get BFS to buy Smithy know it would be a real squad improvement.

Guest neesy111

How many defensive midfielders does a club need!  Negative signing as it shows were more concerned about not conceding than actually scoring enough goals to keep us up

What players could we sell and get 3.5 million out of?  We've not proven ourselves to be particularly skilled in the selling side of the transfer market either, think we're the only team Man City have got a bargain out of.

Shifting out s**** is an Ashley forte tbh. I'd expect Taylor to be the one shifted if anyone goes.

Edit: hadn't seen that Dave btw. :lol:

Bring in a club-less defender for nowt who has one or two seasons maximum left in him (if that) and sell a 24 year proven PL defender for a couple of million – that’s how to build for the future.

Never said it would make sense tbh.  ???

Probably a load of s**** anyway, I'm just guessing.

I’ll be glad when the transfer window shuts and the football can start. The pre September fixtures always feel sort of irrelevant while players are still being touted around?

:thup:

All seems a bit temporary without knowing what your final squad is actually going to be.

i wonder if it would be legal for the premier league to say that regardless of when the window shuts they want the definitive 25man squad lists in by the last wednesday (for example) before the opening weekend of the season.

How many defensive midfielders does a club need!  Negative signing as it shows were more concerned about not conceding than actually scoring enough goals to keep us up

that's so wrong

It's fairly importnat to be concerned about both.  They are not mutally exclusive

not that i class him as a defensive midfielder, more a combative, good in possession central midfielder, but if a club were to want to go down the DM route, the answer to your question of how many does a club need would be ....one good one.

Guest neesy111

I don't really want to bite, but you're talking nonsense, again!

We don't have a player capable of playing that role as things stand.

I'd imagine though that you'd find a way to find a negative in any signing we make.

And you talking nonsense aain ino

One would be nice.

One would be nice.

bearing in mind we have shola,McLoven,ranger,carroll,best i'm guessing neesy see's no need for us to buy a forward.

We (and The Mail) may have jumped the gun slightly.

"#NUFC stepping up pursuit of Cheick Tiote and hoping to complete deal next week. Mind you same was true with Ben Arfa. Nothing past post yet" Scott Wilson, Echo via Twitter

Guest neesy111

One would be nice.

What do you classify barton, guthrie and smith as?

One would be nice.

smith may be classed as a DM, all be it a very poor one.

Guest neesy111

One would be nice.

bearing in mind we have shola,McLoven,ranger,carroll,best i'm guessing neesy see's no need for us to buy a forward.

no i don't, but what i'm trying to say is a good DM more of a priority than getting a good forward, if it is then i do fear for us this season

One would be nice.

Definitely not defensive midfielders, I refuse to comment on Smith :lol:

Being able to get hold of the ball will improve our chances to attack. I agree we do need another attacking player but if we never have the ball to give it to him there isn't any point.

One would be nice.

You class Barton and Guthrie as defensive midfielders? :lol:

Smith isn't even worth discussing.

One would be nice.

no i don't, but what i'm trying to say is a good DM more of a priority than getting a good forward, if it is then i do fear for us this season

i very much doubt they have a list of priorities and only work on them in order one at a time.

Guest neesy111

My other concerns with the number of CM's we have at the club if the signing comes (costing vast amounts in wages as well) is that hughton is likely to go down the 451 route quite often

On paper, a dedicated defensive midfielder with good fitness and work rate should improve Nolan/Barton/Guthrie's game, allowing them more creative freedom and that..

I just wonder who is on their way out.. Hopefully Smith