What do you think about this?

indi

Urgh... the whole idea altogether just riles me up. English players should play for England, Spanish players should play for Spain, Germans for Germany, etc. Fortunately it seems to be very much few and far between... it negates the whole idea otherwise.

He isn't English so shouldn't play for England. I just can't see it any other way; it's black and white.

In a simplistic B&W view I agree, but why let other NTs get one up on us when we can also take advantage of the situation?

I'm gonna get labelled with the 'needless, over-the-top, patriot' label here - but it's up to nations like us - who gave the world the game - to set a benchmark of what's actually correct. The whole thing is a load of bollocks and absolutely should not be allowed. If we start doing the same thing we're only succumbing to one of the games biggest flaws. It's an [unfair advantage if you ask me, rather than an advantage, and i'd rather win something with a bit of honour.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01176/arts-graphics-2007_1176863a.jpg

Cheers.  :lol:

To the people who are against it: What's your view on Hargreaves?

He's got two British (one English) parents?

Born in Canada, to a Welsh mother, grew up in Germany and as far as I can see had spent a grand total of zero days living in England prior to his début for the national team.

His father's English though and he has a British passport.

Areta could have a British passport if he wanted though.

I'm not really too fussed either way, personally, I just think it's an interesting topic.

Urgh... the whole idea altogether just riles me up. English players should play for England, Spanish players should play for Spain, Germans for Germany, etc. Fortunately it seems to be very much few and far between... it negates the whole idea otherwise.

He isn't English so shouldn't play for England. I just can't see it any other way; it's black and white.

In a simplistic B&W view I agree, but why let other NTs get one up on us when we can also take advantage of the situation?

I'm gonna get labelled with the 'needless, over-the-top, patriot' label here - but it's up to nations like us - who gave the world the game - to set a benchmark of what's actually correct. The whole thing is a load of bollocks and absolutely should not be allowed. If we start doing the same thing we're only succumbing to one of the games biggest flaws. It's an [unfair advantage if you ask me, rather than an advantage, and i'd rather win something with a bit of honour.

Yep, didn’t Qatar actually pay for couple of Brazilians to play for them? I definitely remember watching them having a Uruguayan in their team! :lol:

Yep, didn’t Qatar actually pay for couple of Brazilians to play for them? I definitely remember watching them having a Uruguayan in their team! :lol:

Aye they tried to pay Denis Oliech (Kenyan) quite a few million £ to play for them. He politely rejected.

Sebastian Soria though, the Uruguyan, is their curren leading striker and national icon. They interviewed him on that show on Sky, Futbol Mundial.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01176/arts-graphics-2007_1176863a.jpg

:lol: It's just the way i see it mate. This might be a bit trumpet-blowy, but i'm a stone-cold traditionalist when it comes to football. And anyone else who can claim to be, should have the same opinion as me regarding this topic. It's one of my biggest bugbears in the game.

National teams should be compiled of players from that nation and that nation only. There isn't a drop of English blood in Arteta's body.

:lol: It's just the way i see it mate. This might be a bit trumpet-blowy, but i'm a stone-cold traditionalist when it comes to football. And anyone else who can claim to be, should have the same opinion as me regarding this topic. It's one of my biggest bugbears in the game.

National teams should be compiled of players from that nation and that nation only. There isn't a drop of English blood in Arteta's body.

:razz:

Like i said before, i agree with you, it should not be allowed, but if it is then we should take advantage. :)

To the people who are against it: What's your view on Hargreaves?

He's got two British (one English) parents?

Born in Canada, to a Welsh mother, grew up in Germany and as far as I can see had spent a grand total of zero days living in England prior to his début for the national team.

His father's English though and he has a British passport.

Areta could have a British passport if he wanted though.

I'm not really too fussed either way, personally, I just think it's an interesting topic.

Absolutely Indi, it definitely is - and thanks for posting the article. It's something i could happily talk (argue/rant) about all night long.

The whole 'English Blood' thing is a crock of shit btw. There's no such thing as 'blood' from anywhere, if that's the case we're all African really.

Urgh, it's just a metaphor you cock-cheese. :razz:

The whole 'English Blood' thing is a crock of s*** btw. There's no such thing as 'blood' from anywhere, if that's the case we're all African really.

I know that, and I know how you're using it. However there are a lot of people who genuinely believe in being 'full-blood' and 'half-blood' etc.

I'd find it a bit weird but I think that would be because I wasn't used to it more than anything.

I reckon that's a large part of it. I know it's not that common in English footy, but I wonder how many people know just how often it happens in other sports, and if they'd be shocked to find out.

The whole 'English Blood' thing is a crock of s*** btw. There's no such thing as 'blood' from anywhere, if that's the case we're all African really.

I know that, and I know how you're using it. However there are a lot of people who genuinely believe in being 'full-blood' and 'half-blood' etc.

Sounds like something out of Blade.

I'd find it a bit weird but I think that would be because I wasn't used to it more than anything.

I reckon that's a large part of it. I know it's not that common in English footy, but I wonder how many people know just how often it happens in other sports, and if they'd be shocked to find out.

It's one of the many many minor reasons why football sky-rockets above the likes of Cricket and Rugby. Yes it happens in our sport on a diluted level, but, as i've said... fortunately there are associations like ours who make an effort to provide an example. I really don't know how it is allowed.

We never called up the likes of Cudicini or Almunia during a time where the goalkeeper situation was one of the biggest conundrums of the team (and still is). That suggests we won't ever sink to this kind of 'national recruitment', and the Arteta thing - like previous - will be forgotten about pretty sharpish.

Fortunately.