Shola Ameobi

Keefaz

Best has only been starting for a month and already has more PL goals from open play. There's little between them, but I'd rather have Leon in the team for his energy.

Of course, but there's much work Shola does on the field that's not appreciated and not that visible. His role as a holding attacker has been fantastic this season. He keeps the ball upfront long enough, which makes it possible for the midfield to move upwards in the field. It's essential that the attacker does not loose the ball in such situations, because this will create dangerous counterattacks. Nolan  against City away, was an good example of how it shouldn't be done. Also, when we play better teams, Shola drops down to the midfield to support them. This is shitty work, and often not seen, but has to be done.  Zonalmarking has written about what I've now  mentioned, if you're interested.

Best has only been starting for a month and already has more PL goals from open play. There's little between them, but I'd rather have Leon in the team for his energy.

Of course, but there's much work Shola does on the field that's not appreciated and not that visible. His role as a holding attacker has been fantastic this season. He keeps the ball upfront long enough, which makes it possible for the midfield to move upwards in the field. It's essential that the attacker does not loose the ball in such situations, because this will create dangerous counterattacks. Nolan  against City away, was an good example of how it shouldn't be done. Also, when we play better teams, Shola drops down to the midfield to support them. This is shitty work, and often not seen, but has to be done.  Zonalmarking has written about what I've now  mentioned, if you're interested.

Good post.

By the way, the game away against Arse, was probably one of the best games I've seen of him. And Zonal highlights his performance as one of the reason why we beat them. They in particular mentions his role as a 5th midfielder Also, if you see the MOD analysis of the game, they focus on Shola's possession play, which made it possible for us (together with Colo's passing skills) to play the ball out from defense, under pressure, without loosing it.

Can't wait to see him in that mask! Only thing is you can't be shying away from headers and stuff so hope the fella still commits himself to all the challenges.

He rarely heads the ball anyway, it usually comes off his shoulder after a mistimed leap.

Best grafts a lot more than Shola ever does and also played right side of midfield for a long period against Spurs to help the team.

Best grafts a lot more than Shola ever does and also played right side of midfield for a long period against Spurs to help the team.

he spent a lot of time getting slagged off by other players for just standing on the right and doing no work at all.

he spent a lot of time getting slagged off by other players for just standing on the right and doing no work at all.

That's the problem with Best: He needs to fix his mentality. You see that he's capable to to some pretty fix things: The disallowed goal against Arse, the last goal against WH are both some very good finishing. The is that  PL is so fast that you need to concentrate all the time. You cannot mote, because then you're inn offside, like he tends to be. Best was considered one of the hottest prospects when he was 17ish. I think it's the mental part that has is the explanation why he's not taken the step. Fix that, and we got a quality striker.