Strongest Eleven

Guest BooBoo

The fact there is a certain degree of difficulty to pick a starting team is testament to Hughton. We've got a versatile squad, with options when we have injuries.

Agreed, there are a lot of games so once there's a couple of injuries/suspensions the team will pick itself.

Harper

Perch (S.Taylor when fit)

Enrique

Williamson

Coloccini

Routledge

Jonas

Tiote

Barton

Ben Arfa

Carroll

Spot on about the RB position, the rest picks itself really.

Simpson was dogshit in the championship and regularly the weakest link in the side, which Hughton also clearly saw.

Harper

Enrique

Williamson

Coloccini

Routledge

Jonas

Tiote

Barton

Ben Arfa

Carroll

Simpson was dogshit in the championship and regularly the weakest link in the side, which Hughton also clearly saw.

Yes, that's why he still played him and didn't replace him with Ryan Taylor.  :lol:

I hope that Simpson's poor form had something to do with him carrying an injury.

We haven't seen Tiote or Ben Arfa play.

But we'd not have signed them if Hughton didn't feel they'd be in his strongest eleven.

Backup signings?

I can't see us signing two full internationals as back up signings.

Harper

Enrique

Williamson

Coloccini

Routledge

Jonas

Tiote

Barton

Ben Arfa

Carroll

Yes, that's why he still played him and didn't replace him with Ryan Taylor.  :lol:

I hope that Simpson's poor form had something to do with him carrying an injury.

He bought Perch which means he targeted right back as a weakness this summer. Ryan Taylor was already here when he brought Simpson in. Your point is null and void i'm afraid.

R Taylor is also dogshit which shows the idiotic false economy that Ashley tries to impose on the club. 3 right backs, total costs and wages = £?

Think about it what you want, I still think that Simpson will be first choice right back unless Perch will suddenly become twice the player he's at the moment.

The point being made was that Hughton wanted to strengthen the RB position because Simpson was rubbish. The supporting evidence is the fact he purchased Perch. My view that Perch is better than Simpson is irrelevant to the point being made, that Hughton saw RB as a weakness. I just happen to agree with him.

If Hughton didn't rate Simpson at all he wouldn't have signed him.  He could see how good/bad he was during his loan spell.  Perch has been signed for his versatility (especially his ability to play LB) hence why we didn't sign a back up for Jose, it just so happens that Simpson is injured at the moment and Perch is in at RB.

Guest Tall Striker

But we'd not have signed them if Hughton didn't feel they'd be in his strongest eleven.

Leon Best?

Guest Tall Striker

How people can say our best line up is beyond me, since we've seen f*** all of Gosling, Tiote, Ben Arfa and (to an extent) Perch. This thread should be saved for December time.

Because you can do the strongest 11 'on paper'. For example Hatem Ben Arfa is technically the best player in the squad and possesses more natural talent in his little finger than the competition for his position, Kevin Nolan, therefore he should be in the strongest 11.

But how do you know what it is 'on paper'? You know Jonas is a better left winger than Peter Ramage, because you've seen them both play on a regular basis. Therefore, you say Jonas is a better left winger 'on paper'.

My point is, you cannot say what our best team is, even 'on paper', because we have very little clue, youtube apart, as to how these players will play in a black and white shirt. It's all guesswork.

Leon Best?

I reckon he intended on him playing regularly before realising he wasn't up to it, and to be fair he was dropped pretty early on. I reckon he'll do the same here but don't think it'll be the case.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest andrew

Bump? With everyone fit (But not counting HBA since it's unlikely we will see him feature for us again)

Krul

Saylor Campbell  Coloccini  Enrique

Barton    Tiote

Rout             Gosling          Guti

Carroll

substitutes- harper, williamson, simpson/perch, nolan, guthrie, lovenkrands/xisco/ranger, ameobi/best

Guest jonlane86

My Choice when everyone is fit:

Harper

Enrique

Williamson

Campbell

R. Taylor

Guttierez

Barton

Tiote

Routledge

Ben Arfa

Carroll

Chris's Choice when all fit

Harper

Enrique

Williamson

Colo

Perch

Guttierez

Barton

Tiote

Ben Arfa

Nolan

Carroll

Guest jonlane86

Tbf, we don't know if CH will prefer Perch over Simpson /Saylor.

you're right we don't, but that's my opinion - blind Leon Best esc faith ala end of last season is currently being shown in him and Perch clearly displayed against Man City and Stoke that he just doesn't cut it at this level.  Give Ryan Taylor a game and see how he does, he can't be any worse that JP and imo I think he's better than DS, not to mention he can take a free kick!