Would you take 17th place right now ?

Guest palnese
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Look at it this way, from our 7 points 4 have been taken away from home and we've lost to Blackpool and Stoke already.

To start saying we should be aiming for higher than 17th is an acceptance that either away form continues or home form improves. 

Frankly it'll have to be the latter won't it?  We've not got enough in the locker to stay up on away form.  Villa were the message to EVERY other team at SJP barring the top usual suspects, no-one else is gonna come and give us a gift like that again so Hughton will have to change his tactics and drop his players committee members.

Hm.

Guest Roger Kint

Another way to look at it is we are top half but just 2 points off Wigan in 18th. The table is not as rosey as it looks solely on position.

I don't know maybe it's just me, but the time I'll start thinking 'I'll take 17th' is after Easter and we're in the bottom 6 with six games to go, not after 6 games where we're in the top half. I could even understand if we're having this debate after the Sunderland game after having picked up less than 6 points but if we've played that game after 7 points from the next 4 games I'd be disappointed with people simply saying they'd take 17th. 

Because whether it's the first game of the season, or the last game of the season, the priority for me is to stay up - anything else is a bonus.

17th is staying up therefore I'd snatch it with both hands. We could get 12 points from the next 4 and I'd be saying exactly the same - taking 17th place has got nothing to do with what we should be aiming for.

Some people still not understand 'taking 17th place' and 'aiming for 17th place' are two different things?

So the question is actually "Would you take a minimum of 17th place but with the chance of finishing higher"?  Who the fuck wouldn't? :lol:

Surely the point of the question is if you were offered it would you take 17th place now, or would you gamble on finishing higher.

Guest Roger Kint

What are you talking about? The question is 'Would you take 17th place right now' Ie the chance to simply be in this league at any cost next year. Maybe you should have read the posts before mine that complained about lack of ambition, defeatism etc to realise why i said that. The question is obviously hypothetical, people are using the question as an actual aim for what we will do. That was my point, its two different things.

I know what the question is and I know what I said, and I stick by it.

Obviously staying up is the most important thing, but I believe we will and can possibly finish higher then 17th (fucking hope we do, I don't think I could handle it otherwise).

Would WBA or Blackpool have taken 17th at the start of the season? Yes, of course they would have.

Our history and stature as a club makes us no different then any newly-promoted side right now. When a team plays us, they don't see us a team that was playing in the Champions League 7 years ago, they see us as a team that they can take 3 points from. Blackpool and Stoke have showed us that.

Anyone that wouldn't take 17th right now, is an idiot.

The only players you could consider regulars in that season though were the Three Amigos, all three who appear much better now, Barton perhaps but was injured a lot and Nolan second half of the season. If nobody had known what each club had done the past year and you asked someone to put each squad in order, I don't think many people would stick us 17th.

Think I said it in this thread earlier in the season, but "taking 17th", is "taking" that Hughton has continued to make poor decisions throughout the season, is "taking" that a lot of our players haven't performed to their capabilities, is "taking" that we don't strengthen further in January.

Manchester City haven't finished in the top 4 in the Premier League before, but they'll be aiming for higher due to their talent. It'd be like asking a City fan if they'd take finishing 5th, or a Chelsea fan if they'd take 2nd. I'd be very angry with the manager and players if we only come 17th, so no, I won't simply take that.

Think I said it in this thread earlier in the season, but "taking 17th", is "taking" that Hughton has continued to make poor decisions throughout the season, is "taking" that a lot of our players haven't performed to their capabilities, is "taking" that we don't strengthen further in January.

Theoretically "taking" 17th is about being realistic about the quality of the squad, and not wanting to trust to good luck with injuries and poor form from rivals to keep us in this division.

Manchester City haven't finished in the top 4 in the Premier League before, but they'll be aiming for higher due to their talent. It'd be like asking a City fan if they'd take finishing 5th, or a Chelsea fan if they'd take 2nd. I'd be very angry with the manager and players if we only come 17th, so no, I won't simply take that.

It wouldn't be like that at all. It would be like asking a City fan if he'd take finishing 4th, or asking a Chelsea fan if he'd take coming 2nd if they could win the CL. With the resources of this club, if we do only finish 17th, it's not the manager and players you should be very angry with.

That's incredibly short-sighted IMO.

We have to take small steps forward, rather than attempting to leap forward (like we've done in the past) and end up shooting straight back. 17th is an improvement on 2009 so it's something I would take, yes - based on the first few weeks of the season, we don't look capable of stringing any real form to shoot up the table and away from safety, so we'll probably be in and around that area come April/May.

If we finish 15th or higher then fantastic, but if we finish 17th I won't consider this season a failure - I'd consider it a huge step towards rebuilding this club the proper and right way.

Chelsea are aiming to win the league. If they come 2nd they have failed. Newcastle are aiming to survive. If we finish 17th, we have succeeded.