Kevin Nolan

Taylor Swift

My biggest concern is the harmony in the camp, could this upset the team spirit?

There are better players out there whether we can sign them is another matter. I think the club are trying lay their mark. They are trying to tell players we don't get push around and I think they are trying to stick to their business plan. I think whilst Ashely is here we have to accept the days of paying daft wages whoever it maybe has gone, it may see us miss out on a few targets but as long as we improve the squad I don't see a problem. Come September 1st and all we have signed is Taylor, Long and Pratley and I'll have a better view. But at the moment I see us almost sign Cabaye (who by all accounts is a good seems a good buy) and be strongly linked with Gervinho and Gameiro. Now if we lose Barton and Nolan but sign these 3 I'll be more than happy. I'll also happily sacrifice Barton and Nolan for Enrique as Enrique will be the most difficult to replace.

Team spirit was important when it was all we had, now we've got the base of a good team and the means to bring in some good European class talent which top trumps team spirit and shit players for me.

f*** him and Barton to be honest, both just trying to play hardball.. well okay fine.. plenty of time left in the window.. tell sign a new deal this week or your off go find another club.

Would rather have to to replace them both than f*** about trying to give them what they want.

Taking the p*ss I hope?

No not at all........... why is Nolan even being offered a new deal ?

Him and his best mate are both important players but not irreplaceable, both getting on in footballing years and are lucky to be here. I am sick to fkn death of this "rejects new contract offer" bollocks.

Transfer list them then, they don't want to be here then fine, if we signed the players we want Nolan should not even be in the starting 11 anyway.

Why are you having a go at Nolan for being offered a new deal? f***s sake

Basically bullshit from start to end this. Barton, and especially Nolan, mean a lot for the club and the spirit in the dressing room. As well as being great/decent footballers of course. We know nowt about what the new contracts say, but you can't blame them for not wanting to sign contracts which will give them less money than they have now. And yes, they do want to be here.

Which is why they're being offered new deals...but you get the feeling that they're after similar wages to the likes of Ben Arfa, Tiote, Cabaye, etc. which they shouldn't be on imo.

it hardly sets a great precedent though does it mate? talking of loyalty, two of the top performers in a successful season get offered pay cuts?

I see what you mean, but when they're 30 & 31, should they be expecting high wages on a par with the likes of Ben Arfa & Tiote when they're not even guaranteed a game?

if ben arfa and tiote are still here by then they'll be getting paid a lot more than 50k a week.

Tiote will still have 4 and a half years left by then.

i'm assuming he meant by the end of the proposed new deals for barton and nolan?

He mentioned 30 and 31, which will be Barton/Nolans ages when there current deals run out.

Guest icemanblue

My biggest concern is the harmony in the camp, could this upset the team spirit?

There are better players out there whether we can sign them is another matter. I think the club are trying lay their mark. They are trying to tell players we don't get push around and I think they are trying to stick to their business plan. I think whilst Ashely is here we have to accept the days of paying daft wages whoever it maybe has gone, it may see us miss out on a few targets but as long as we improve the squad I don't see a problem. Come September 1st and all we have signed is Taylor, Long and Pratley and I'll have a better view. But at the moment I see us almost sign Cabaye (who by all accounts is a good seems a good buy) and be strongly linked with Gervinho and Gameiro. Now if we lose Barton and Nolan but sign these 3 I'll be more than happy. I'll also happily sacrifice Barton and Nolan for Enrique as Enrique will be the most difficult to replace.

Team spirit was important when it was all we had, now we've got the base of a good team and the means to bring in some good European class talent which top trumps team spirit and shit players for me.

Well, yes, except we're not planning on keeping hold of our 'base of a good team'.

One of these shit players got 12 goals in the league, last season.

Guest neesy111

If we get players in with similar talent levels but that have pace then that will be upgrade on them both imo.

Team spirit was important when it was all we had, now we've got the base of a good team and the means to bring in some good European class talent which top trumps team spirit and s*** players for me.

True without that kind of togetherness in the fizzy pop league we may have struggled, but its not as if we hear week in week out the togetherness of the Man Utd and they haven't done too badly have they. But who are part of this clique anyway? If loads of players are big mates with these two and are influenced by them then I would be worried a bit. If for example Enrique is big mates with them and its the final straw for him, will it unsettle Jonas and Colo? I'm worried about a domino effect.

Well, yes, except we're not planning on keeping hold of our 'base of a good team'.

One of these shit players got 12 goals in the league, last season.

Based on what? Selling a troubled hippy for £35m, on one of our players wanting away due to CL dreams (who still hasn't gone and apparently been offered a very good deal) or not playing ball with two overpaid ageing players trying to hold the club to ransom. Guess we didn't try to keep the base of good players together when we signed up Tiote for 6 years, or other young promising players on 5.5 year deals.

I bet the contracts they have been offered will not be matched by another club come their expiry either.

Team spirit was important when it was all we had, now we've got the base of a good team and the means to bring in some good European class talent which top trumps team spirit and s*** players for me.

True without that kind of togetherness in the fizzy pop league we may have struggled, but its not as if we hear week in week out the togetherness of the Man Utd and they haven't done too badly have they. But who are part of this clique anyway? If loads of players are big mates with these two and are influenced by them then I would be worried a bit. If for example Enrique is big mates with them and its the final straw for him, will it unsettle Jonas and Colo? I'm worried about a domino effect.

Smith, Harper, Barton & Nolan. Honestly, the door is that way.  :lol:

Problem is though, that Barton and Nolan have been a big part of that 'base'.

Take out Barton's assists/goals last season and do the same with Nolan's and I don't want to know where we would have been.

Guest toonlass

We've been lacking strength in depth for a long while. We've also got a team spirit that you just can't buy. I don't think Nolan is the type who thinks he's the best player in the world, but he is a damn good club captain. Why can't we bring in other players and keep Nolan too. His positive involvement in the team isn't just on field but off the field too.

We've been lacking strength in depth for a long while. We've also got a team spirit that you just can't buy. I don't think Nolan is the type who thinks he's the best player in the world, but he is a damn good club captain. Why can't we bring in other players and keep Nolan too. His positive involvement in the team isn't just on field but off the field too.

:thup:

If these 2 are irreplaceable, then we really need to be making plans so that they are not imo.

It's got nothing to do with players being irreplaceable.  We're telling players that once you get to a certain age we'll ship them out, even if they love the place and want to settle here. 

Nail on the head!

If these 2 are irreplaceable, then we really need to be making plans so that they are not imo.

It's got nothing to do with players being irreplaceable.  We're telling players that once you get to a certain age we'll ship them out, even if they love the place and want to settle here. 

And even if they do well for us.

Like Wenger has done his entire time at Arsenal?

Guest icemanblue

Now, now, no need for common sense. Everyone knows footballers die as soon as they reach 30.

Did he really? Berkamp, Adams, Campbell, Lehmann, Pires suggest otherwise imo.

Now, now, no need for common sense. Everyone knows footballers die as soon as they reach 30.

We've already have had a lengthy discussion that this is just not true.

All of them offered reduced contracts and one years deals, if not accepted they were moved on.

All of them offered reduced contracts and one years deals, if not accepted they were moved on.

Fair point.

Man United have the most together squad in the country because they keep so many players for long spells and create a solid base. Too many people think football works like a computer game, in a vacuum without the need for management of actual human beings who behave like everyone else.

Man United have the most together squad in the country because they keep so many players for long spells and create a solid base. Too many people think football works like a computer game, in a vacuum without the need for management of actual human beings who behave like everyone else.

Aye. Added to that, I can't believe how many on here would replace the likes of Barton and Nolan with 'quality' players.

We've been there before, we had players like Owen, Luque, Emre, Martins, N'Zogbia and so on and we ended up relegated.

:thup: