Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

Guest tollemache

Jonas' lack of delivery from wide has been even more highlighted by us not having a natural left back. I don't think it's a coincidence that our best work down the left used to come when he was teamed up with Enrique. If we are going to play Santon there then we need a left winger with a peach of a left foot.

I'd much much much much rather just play Santon down the right, where he's a force of nature

We definitely suffer from the amount of players we have who want/need to cut inside. If we matched Debuchy and HBA on one side, and Santon and Marveaux on the other, we would look more fluid and versatile.

FWIW I think Santon is fine on the left, and I would leave him there.

Guest tollemache

He's very good indeed on either side, fullback or winger, but I remember when he broke through at Inter and kept Maicon out of the team while Mourinho creamed over him... He really was blistering over on the right

I've already rabbited on about this in the wrong thread but Gutierrez is clearly not even a winger. He's the most natural carrilero going, but what does he ever provide from the wing? Work rate, making a three man midfield seem like a four man midfield, surging runs through the middle, making space for more creative players... this is a hunch but, being Argentinian, I think it's very likely indeed that he grew up as a carrilero and became a winger after he moved to Europe. They all play 4-3-1-2 in Argentina, with players just like him either side of a Veron type with a Riquelme or an Aimar in front, and there isn't really a culture of wingers. And he's certainly no fullback, as he demonstrated in the last World Cup. He's a carrilero so we should use him as one, in a midfield three.

We definitely suffer from the amount of players we have who want/need to cut inside. If we matched Debuchy and HBA on one side, and Santon and Marveaux on the other, we would look more fluid and versatile.

FWIW I think Santon is fine on the left, and I would leave him there.

Agree. The issue here is our right RB and LW are crap. Upgrading that by adding an attacking RB (Debuchy) and finding someone to play on the left side (even if that means adding just a more mobile midfielder on the left side of 3 CM's or Marv on LW or Ba on LW) it instantly makes both sides (assuming Ben Arfa is wide right) more potent.

He's very good indeed on either side, fullback or winger, but I remember when he broke through at Inter and kept Maicon out of the team while Mourinho creamed over him... He really was blistering over on the right

I've already rabbited on about this in the wrong thread but Gutierrez is clearly not even a winger. He's the most natural carrilero going, but what does he ever provide from the wing? Work rate, making a three man midfield seem like a four man midfield, surging runs through the middle, making space for more creative players... this is a hunch but, being Argentinian, I think it's very likely indeed that he grew up as a carrilero and became a winger after he moved to Europe. They all play 4-3-1-2 in Argentina, with players just like him either side of a Veron type with a Riquelme or an Aimar in front, and there isn't really a culture of wingers. And he's certainly no fullback, as he demonstrated in the last World Cup. He's a carrilero so we should use him as one, in a midfield three.

That's definitely where he's looked best for us in recent times.

Superb analysis, totally agree as well although I'm not sure we've the players for a 4-3-1-2 not am I sure it'd work in the PL.

I thought he looked like he remembered who he was for a few minutes in the second half against Fulham. If he can find any sort of form again he could be invaluable for some of these games coming up, particularly on Saturday.

I thought he looked like he remembered who he was for a few minutes in the second half against Fulham. If he can find any sort of form again he could be invaluable for some of these games coming up, particularly on Saturday.

Last 5-10 mins or so he seemed to take it upon himself to be a creative outlet, useful given as we didn't have any others.

he's still a decent player, but playing badly compared to last season.  To say he's finished is going way over board.  He fitted into a system last season that worked , this season it's not just him thats bad. 

Colo, Cisse, Tiote , has been really poor compared to last season,  are they finished as well? 

I still have faith in Jonas at least in playing as CM. Just seems to be extremely low on confidence now for some reason. Last season his passing was fine and he played many lovely through balls. The constant changing of his position seems to have taken away his confidence in beating his man and that reflects to his whole play no matter where he plays.

Colo and Cisse have been brilliant for years and Tiote's hanging off the back of his debut season. Jonas has never been on that level.

I think this is Tiote's only "poor" season since he joined. Was great last year.

We had great results. He wasn't great in any sense.

Last season his passing was fine and he played many lovely through balls.

Serious?

Guest tollemache

Superb analysis, totally agree as well although I'm not sure we've the players for a 4-3-1-2 not am I sure it'd work in the PL.

Ancelotti's record high-scoring, title-winning Chelsea side of 09/10 say hi! They switched between 4-3-1-2 and 4-3-2-1 (same principle with regards the central midfielders and both systems he'd used frequently at Milan) throughout that season, before lapsing into more of a 4-3-3 towards the end of Ancelotti's reign. At times it was unclear exactly what formation they were using because you'd have Anelka dropping off to the right but sometimes playing behind the strikers, Malouda sometimes playing as left centre mid and sometimes outright left-winger, Deco in the hole but sometimes as more of a centre mid, but using the diamond and other Ancelotti-style narrow formations they administered several utter humpings in the league and set a goalscoring record. Seemed like it was 5-1 every other week at one point.

As for NUFC having the players:

Ba            Cisse
                 HBA

Jonas                Tiote
               Cabaye

Santon                     Simpson
         Colo    Whoever

Ben Arfa and Cabaye playing in their perfect roles (man in the hole and playmaker), Jonas playing where he was born to play, Tiote pretending to be Gattuso on the other side which suits him down to the ground... only thing you'd need to do to make it the perfect Ancelotti diamond would be to put Santon on the right and sign a left back... I get the impression the whole system is alien to someone like Pardew though. Not because he's a bad manager, just because we have no culture of playing that way. Santon, Colo and Gutierrez would understand it implicitly, and any Italian or Argentinian manager could get our players doing it in days flat on the training ground, but I can't remember the last time a Premier League side played a diamond like that, except perhaps Man Utd very recently, and that was remarked upon in the press for being a radical departure.

i like jonas but i don't see him as a midfield 3.  He don't fit in that system,  where he fits in well is in a Pardew flat rigid 4-4-1-1 system,  where you get that double pivot system of the fullback and winger working in tandems.

His passing has never been good, not his strength,  but he has not become a bad player over night.

Guest tollemache

Just thought I'd do some Googling to confirm my hunch, and:

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,53940.msg1446950.html#msg1446950

That seems to suggest he was being played as a carrilero before his move to Newcastle. For Argentina or Velez? Looks like Argentina but I wasn't aware he was a regular in their team at that point... Will hold my hands up if so

http://old.clarin.com/diario/2004/10/27/deportes/d-05003.htm

That's from 2004 and also mentions he's a carrilero (able to play that role on either side it says). So I think my hunch is correct. For Argentina to produce an outright winger would just be weird anyway. He's a carrilero. He. is. a. carrilero.