Shearer night on Five Live

Wallace

Not calling Shearer was undoubtedly shabby behaviour.

Not appointing Shearer was undoubtedly the right decision.

Nobody knows if that's the case or not, it's impossible to know.

Hard to see how he could have done better than Hughton last season. And his eight games in charge didn't bode that well, did they?

And after the whole Keegan thing, I don't blame Ashley at all for not wanting to appoint another Toon icon with big spending demands.

I'd love to see what conditions Shearer was asking for, though. Pity he didn't spill the details about that.

I am going to assume it included spending a significant amount of money since SHearer also said in the interview that he did not think CH would be able to bring us straight back up.

Hard to see how he could have done better than Hughton last season. And his eight games in charge didn't bode that well, did they?

And after the whole Keegan thing, I don't blame Ashley at all for not wanting to appoint another Toon icon with big spending demands.

I'd love to see what conditions Shearer was asking for, though. Pity he didn't spill the details about that.

I am going to assume it included spending a significant amount of money since SHearer also said in the interview that he did not think CH would be able to bring us straight back up.

That would be my assumption, too. Still wish we knew the details, though.

Toon icon with big spending demands.

So you know make out Al had big spending demands but you would love to see what conditions Al was asking for. So you don't know he had big spending demands.

Maybe he wanted to sign Stephen Spence good striker that lad.

We had the most expensively assembled squad ever to play in the Championship, we did what we should have done in a poor league.  As for Shearer's 8 game record while here, how does it compare to the record of Hughton before last season?  As for his demands, you've also said "pity he didn't spill the details about that," how much did he want to spend?

So what exactly did Shearer mean by "I thought I had the job"?

"I've just moved to Florida", "I'm making mesel some egg and chips when I get hyem", "I love to wax me legs whilst listening to some Coldplay"?

The one thing it doesn't necessarily mean is 'I was offered the job and accepted it'. You can come away from an interview or from negotiations and say to someone 'I think I've got the job' based on how well you think things went.

I can't recall at the time the slightest rumour / hint / suggestion that they had agreed terms and offered him the job and then withdrawn the offer. I think we would have heard something.

What's more, Shearer's follow-up to this supposed job offer was a single phone call two days later to someone else, who couldn't tell him anything - a conversation that at first he was reluctant to acknowledge for some reason. Now I think if I'd had a definite job offer I wouldn't have left it at that. I don't think we've got the complete picture here.

This is just the common sense response when someone comes up with a hard done by story, vague in detail, of which we've only heard one side.

So you know make out Al had big spending demands but you would love to see what conditions Al was asking for. So you don't know he had big spending demands.

So you reckon Shearer's masterplan involved not spending very much at all?

As I said, you  make out Al had big spending demands but you would love to see what conditions Al was asking for. So you don't know he had big spending demands.

No-one's said that they didn't want him to carry on. However, that quote makes it very clear that negotiations were still going on at the time, and that no agreement had been reached. The stumbling block was the conditions that Shearer was asking for. Or Ashley's reluctance to meet those conditions, depending on how you want to see it.

Not giving him the job isn't a major issue, the treatment of him by not even having the decency to tell him is shit and beyond excuse.  He didn't deserve to be left waiting for a phone call to tell him the job wasn't his.  Shearer took the job on originally to help them and the club out and was left lookiing like an idiot.

Not giving him a call back, if true, seems to me the one part of the accusation that might stick. Even then, I'm reserving judgement, because other parts of Shearer's statement aren't that convincing.

As I said, you  make out Al had big spending demands but you would love to see what conditions Al was asking for. So you don't know he had big spending demands.

Obviously.

So what exactly did Shearer mean by "I thought I had the job"?

"I've just moved to Florida", "I'm making mesel some egg and chips when I get hyem", "I love to wax me legs whilst listening to some Coldplay"?

The one thing it doesn't necessarily mean is 'I was offered the job and accepted it'. You can come away from an interview or from negotiations and say to someone 'I think I've got the job' based on how well you think things went.

I can't recall at the time the slightest rumour / hint / suggestion that they had agreed terms and offered him the job and then withdrawn the offer. I think we would have heard something.

What's more, Shearer's follow-up to this supposed job offer was a single phone call two days later to someone else, who couldn't tell him anything - a conversation that at first he was reluctant to acknowledge for some reason. Now I think if I'd had a definite job offer I wouldn't have left it at that. I don't think we've got the complete picture here.

This is just the common sense response when someone comes up with a hard done by story, vague in detail, of which we've only heard one side.

Fucking hell Cronk you give Llambias run for his money as Ashley biggest lover

Drop Matilda a message saying "I LOVE YOUR DAD"

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1400094105&ref=sgm

Not giving him a call back, if true, seems to me the one part of the accusation that might stick. Even then, I'm reserving judgement, because other parts of Shearer's statement aren't that convincing.

I remember him keep saying at the time that he was waiting to hear something, why did nobody from the club tell us that they had contacted him it it wasn't true?

Guest malandro

Hughton’s eight games in charge that season didn’t bode well either, did they?

Hughton’s eight games in charge that season didn’t bode well either, did they?

I'd agree that Shearer's eight games don't prove that he would have been shit at the job.

Guest malandro

I reckon it involved a fresh start. Moving players in and out. Some long term planning. Laying some solid foundations. This is the potential problem with our current renaissance; it’s been built on short term thinking. Hughton’s done a good job, but whether the master plan is sound remains to be seen.

I remember him keep saying at the time that he was waiting to hear something, why did nobody from the club tell us that they had contacted him it it wasn't true?

I'm not quite sure what you mean there, but yes, Shearer was in a position of limbo. As I understand it, they hadn't agreed terms and Ashley had decided to sell again. Obviously there's no question of a manager being appointed permanently if the club could change hands at any time, so Shearer is in a position of waiting to see if a new owner can come in and appoint him.

Did no-one spell out to him that was the situation? I don't know. It would be interesting to know what the mystery man two days later who didn't know what was going on actually said.

So come on then, lads. Surely one of you can make some kind of case from available evidence that Shearer's masterplan involved very little spending.

We dont have to man because you have told us the information is not out there that is why you "WOULD LOVE TO KNOW".

I'm not quite sure what you mean there, but yes, Shearer was in a position of limbo. As I understand it, they hadn't agreed terms and Ashley had decided to sell again. Obviously there's no question of a manager being appointed permanently if the club could change hands at any time, so Shearer is in a position of waiting to see if a new owner can come in and appoint him.

Did no-one spell out to him that was the situation? I don't know. It would be interesting to know what the mystery man two days later who didn't know what was going on actually said.

I'd guess that the mystery man was our MD, nobody other than him or Ashley would be in a position to answer and Shearer reported to him when he was manager.

So come on then, lads. Surely one of you can make some kind of case from available evidence that Shearer's masterplan involved very little spending.

We dont have to man because you have told us the information is not out there that is why you "WOULD LOVE TO KNOW".

What was it about the phrase "from available evidence" that you didn't understand?

What was it about the phrase "from available evidence" that you didn't understand?

What are you after articles by Louise Taylor? Lee Ryder? Go search google to quench your thirst.

I reckon it involved a fresh start. Moving players in and out. Some long term planning. Laying some solid foundations. This is the potential problem with our current renaissance; it’s been built on short term thinking. Hughton’s done a good job, but whether the master plan is sound remains to be seen.

That would almost certainly be the case with any masterplan.

What are you after articles by Louise Taylor? Lee Ryder? Go search google to quench your thirst.

Me and at least two others have expressed the opinion that the reasonable assumption is that Shearer's masterplan involved heavy spending.

You have so far tried to bawl me down on this by insisting that we do not know the answer.

Well of course we don't know the answer. We are dealing in assumptions. If you disagree with mine, try making a case for a different assumption. Or admit that you can't.

Guest malandro

Me and at least two others have expressed the opinion that the reasonable assumption is that Shearer's masterplan involved heavy spending.

You have so far tried to bawl me down on this by insisting that we do not know the answer.

Well of course we don't know the answer. We are dealing in assumptions. If you disagree with mine, try making a case for a different assumption. Or admit that you can't.

It’s a reasonable assumption he’d have been looking to spend some money as I doubt he’d have been happy with targeting mediocrity, and if you don’t invest mediocrity is the best you can hope for. How much money, when and what on might be a better question.

You haven't made a case for there being big demands though.  This is your argument:

"And after the whole Keegan thing, I don't blame Ashley at all for not wanting to appoint another Toon icon with big spending demands. "

"That would be my assumption, too. Still wish we knew the details, though."

Not much of an argument.  A similar counter-argument would be 'I assume there weren't big demands.'