Referees - Psychological Slavery

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

The refs know there'll be a massive carry on if they give owt against the top teams so they constantly bottle decisions that aren't stonewall, simple as.

Alex Ferguson is one of the big reasons for this imo - he's been steadily increasing his 'mind games' for years now and it amounts to cheating as far as I'm concerned.  Him and the rest know exactly what they're doing when they put a referee under pressure.

That's the whole issue regarding the discussion of 'psychological slavery'. I'm not saying they're on the take, but are mentally being conned and allow reputation and an 'easier life' to get in the way of true officiating.

Well I haven't read the whole thread (will do later) but if that's the general jist then I wholeheartedly agree with you.  I've thought that for years.

I was absolutely fuming when Chelsea got that penalty against us in the LC a few weeks ago.  That and the Man City match are perfect examples.

Gallas made a play for the ball - regardless if he touched it or not he was 'active' in an offside position.  Though I guess this highlights the issues with the rules and interpretations of them. As Gimp mentioned same happen today in the Blackpool game only the Ref and Linesmen agreed it was offside. No consistency.

The definition of being 'active' has been restricted to touching the ball for a good few years now.

That's open to a whole load of abuse if people are clever with it. Standing out of keeper's view, but making a dummy hit for the ball to put him off (similar to Gallas). Still doesn't explain Blackpool's being disallowed, other than lack of consistency.

Nolan does it at just about every free kick, it's perfectly allowed.

Slightly shift on the topic but still the same sort thing. Some ridiculous excuse for a human being sat behind me yesterday thought it would be appropriate to shout out "Howay Halsey, you shoulda died of cancer!"

Now I know he didn't have a great game, but there is a line that you don't cross and that was so far beyond that line it's unreal. Referees are generally shit but at the end of the day they are doing a tough job under immense scrutiny and pressure and until somebody can come up with a better idea on how to officiate a game we are stuck with them.

The refs know there'll be a massive carry on if they give owt against the top teams so they constantly bottle decisions that aren't stonewall, simple as.

Alex Ferguson is one of the big reasons for this imo - he's been steadily increasing his 'mind games' for years now and it amounts to cheating as far as I'm concerned.  Him and the rest know exactly what they're doing when they put a referee under pressure.

That's the whole issue regarding the discussion of 'psychological slavery'. I'm not saying they're on the take, but are mentally being conned and allow reputation and an 'easier life' to get in the way of true officiating.

I absolutely agree that there's an aspect of psychological slavery in place for a referee.  It starts with the Mummies and Daddies watching their little 3 yr old playing footie and wanting it all their way, and it continues right up through clubs games and academy and school and into the pros.

Almost every decision is only 50% right - i.e. only half the players/fans agree, and the other half think that it was a bad call.

The fact is that referees are often wrong - and even when they are right only half the players agree.

Just out of interest... how many decisions a game do people think it's possible for a human being to get right? Assuming it's less than 100%, as the game is so fast and some things are open to debate, would be interesting to know how many of the supposed millions of mistakes that refs make are actually acceptable.

Also, how much blame goes to managers for constantly pressurising officials, and to players for constantly trying to con them?

When I certified as a referee I was told...

"referees must start out perfect, and then must get better"

You're not going to get 100% of the decisions correct all of the time, but refs are failing to enforce the rules against the so called 'bigger clubs'.

Taking the match two weeks ago into account it comes down to the key decisions that were not enforced against Man City - the foul on Ben Arfa, the blatant penalty and failing to give Tevez the yellow for over celebration. He had a clear view for the two fouls and didn't give either and didn't enforce the rules and give Tevez a yellow. Strangely, Tevez was booked yesterday after his crowd surfing antics caused a mini pitch invasion.

In the same match after Ben Arfa was crocked he stopped play for minor contact by Shola, but allowed an uncontrolled tackle to go unpunished. Plus the ref didn't have the best view of the penalty that he gave but didn't hesitate to point to the spot when he should have consulted his linesman - a carbon copy of the Beye sending off against the same opposition two years ago.

The reasoning for the FA not going back to review the De Jong challenge are bogus as well, as the ref claims he saw it and dealt with it - I call bullshit on that as he saw it and failed to act, which is exactly the reason those reviews are allowed in the sport. If I was part of The FA I would be very worried that we had referees that admit that they saw such a wild challenge from a few yards away and will let it go.

Slightly shift on the topic but still the same sort thing. Some ridiculous excuse for a human being sat behind me yesterday thought it would be appropriate to shout out "Howay Halsey, you shoulda died of cancer!"

Now I know he didn't have a great game, but there is a line that you don't cross and that was so far beyond that line it's unreal. Referees are generally s*** but at the end of the day they are doing a tough job under immense scrutiny and pressure and until somebody can come up with a better idea on how to officiate a game we are stuck with them.

That's pretty fucking bad that like

Gallas made a play for the ball - regardless if he touched it or not he was 'active' in an offside position.  Though I guess this highlights the issues with the rules and interpretations of them. As Gimp mentioned same happen today in the Blackpool game only the Ref and Linesmen agreed it was offside. No consistency.

The definition of being 'active' has been restricted to touching the ball for a good few years now.

That's open to a whole load of abuse if people are clever with it. Standing out of keeper's view, but making a dummy hit for the ball to put him off (similar to Gallas). Still doesn't explain Blackpool's being disallowed, other than lack of consistency.

He isn't standing 6ft away from him though, he is usually a good number of yards away in an onside position. Judging by this weekend he might as well go and stand right by the keeper.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

He's usually in line with the last defender though, not 3 yards in front of the keeper.

• 7 months later...
Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Nice bit of insight from a Referee, who has been refing the games at SJP this week.

They are told to manage an event, when it comes to refing a Premier League game, while they can simply ref a game when it comes to the Football League. He went on to explain that people want to see the players on the field, and that there's too much money involved to simply send off a Wayne Rooney. He used Oliver and 'Clatts' (Clattenberg) as examples of people he's talked to, and issues they've had when doing Premier League games.

I thought it was interesting, and the ref seemed to agree that there was a lot of 'favour' towards the bigger teams, certainly the ones that 'bring the money in' for the Premier League. If a Ref is deemed to have spoiled the 'event', he'll find it hard to get a top game again in the future.

He went on to mention that Ian Holloway wasn't very respective towards referees, and that various clubs have hounded the 4th official throughout the season in regards to Tiote's persistant fouling, which is the reason he's been booked so many times. "That's his forth foul."

It needs an overhaul for sure, ref's are under way too much pressure.

The reason people like Fergie keep complaining is because he knows it has an effect.

That comment re not sending off a Rooney though is shocking really.

It needs an overhaul for sure, ref's are under way too much pressure.

The reason people like Fergie keep complaining is because he knows it has an effect.

That comment re not sending off a Rooney though is shocking really.

shocking yes surprising no

Nice bit of insight from a Referee, who has been refing the games at SJP this week.

They are told to manage an event, when it comes to refing a Premier League game, while they can simply ref a game when it comes to the Football League. He went on to explain that people want to see the players on the field, and that there's too much money involved to simply send off a Wayne Rooney. He used Oliver and 'Clatts' (Clattenberg) as examples of people he's talked to, and issues they've had when doing Premier League games.

I thought it was interesting, and the ref seemed to agree that there was a lot of 'favour' towards the bigger teams, certainly the ones that 'bring the money in' for the Premier League. If a Ref is deemed to have spoiled the 'event', he'll find it hard to get a top game again in the future.

He went on to mention that Ian Holloway wasn't very respective towards referees, and that various clubs have hounded the 4th official throughout the season in regards to Tiote's persistant fouling, which is the reason he's been booked so many times. "That's his forth foul."

Fucking ridiculous tbh, but yeah - we all know what's going on.  It's meant to be a sport though ffs.