Geordie from a footballing perspective?

Flip

I was born in Newcastle, but brought up elsewhere.

I never refer to myself as a Geordie. Personally, it wouldn't feel comfortable - I think I worry that it might look like I'm pretending to be something I'm not.

Likewise I try to avoid using terms like 'The Toon' and 'Mackems', though I probably have occasionally. It doesn't quite flow naturally.

Guest rabit71

Well look at it this way. Steve Bruce was born and raised in Newcastle, and he's a Mackem. There's your answer.

steve bruce was not born in newcastle. this is a myth spread by the media and based largely on him living in wallsend as a child. he was born in a town near newcastle in northumberland.

on the geordie subject. if you arent born on tyneside you cant claim to be a geordie imo. thats why calling someone who isnt a geordie an "honourary geordie" is such a great compliment.

I might think of a Newcastle fan from elsewhere in the world as a "Mag", but not as a Geordie. Being a Geordie is a geographic and cultural thing, it's about being born and/or brought up in Newcastle, the city shaping your identity. You can be a Geordie and not give a damn about football. You can be a Mag and come from London. But you can no more be a Geordie from London than you can be a Mag and hate football.

Geordies have the power to bless those that deserve it with the honorary title of Geordie, they also have the power to take this away from those that are no longer fit to be a Geordie (even if these people were born and bred on Tyneside).

We are all Popes of the Geordie Church.

Well look at it this way. Steve Bruce was born and raised in Newcastle, and he's a Mackem. There's your answer.

steve bruce was not born in newcastle. this is a myth spread by the media and based largely on him living in wallsend as a child. he was born in a town near newcastle in northumberland.

on the geordie subject. if you arent born on tyneside you cant claim to be a geordie imo. thats why calling someone who isnt a geordie an "honourary geordie" is such a great compliment.

Im not sure I really agree cos Sir Bobby Robson (may he R.I.P) wasnt born on Tyneside and he was a Geordie

The thing is I never refer myself to a geordie, but it's not like if someone says, 'you're a dirty geordie' I will say 'But I'm not a geordie'. I'd say but atleast I'm not mackem or cockney. (When talking about football of course)

Anyways, this topic seems really divided between people.

I'll keep calling any Sunderland supporter a Sad Mackem b******.

Geordies have the power to bless those that deserve it with the honorary title of Geordie, they also have the power to take this away from those that are no longer fit to be a Geordie (even if these people were born and bred on Tyneside).

For example Steve Bruce and Don Hutchinson

For example Steve Bruce and Don Hutchinson

Aye, and Sting.