Copa América

Disco

Draw was made last night for the Copa América. Tis being held in various decaying stadiums in Argentina in July.

Group A - Argentina, Bolivia, Colombia, Costa Rica (guest)

Group B - Brazil, Ecuador, Paraguay, Venezuela

Group C - Chile, Mexico (guest), Peru, Uruguay

Top 2 and 2 best 3rds go through.

Should be keenly contested this year with Chile, Uruguay and Paraguay putting up a good show at the World Cup and in the last qualifiers although Bielsa has left Chile. Argentina have a new manager too and have a chance to win their 15th trophy on home soil and move one ahead of Uruguay who have won 14, Brazil lagging behind with 8. Fuck knows if anyone will be interested but I'm well looking forward to it.

Whats with the guests? I want England to guest.

Not enough countries to go around I guess. Mexico is more or less South America anyways. Japan though?

Mexico because they won the Gold Cup or am I wrong?

Japan because they won the Asian Cup? Not sure why Japan is there though.

wiki says:

Since 1993, two teams from other confederations, usually from CONCACAF whose members are geographically and culturally close, are also invited. Nations receiving invitations are Costa Rica (1997, 2001, 2004), Honduras (2001), Japan (1999), Mexico (1993, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2007), and the United States (1993, 1995, 2007). The United States had been invited every time from 1997 to 2007 but frequently turned down the invitation due to scheduling conflicts with Major League Soccer. However, on October 30, 2006, the US Soccer Federation accepted the invitation for participation in the 2007 tournament, ending a 12 year absence. At 2001 Copa América, Canada was an invitee, but on July 6, 2001 withdrew because of security concerns.

I hope it's not because of the destruction they rained on us in the Gold Cup. iirc, we barely took that seriously.

Still, Mexico will do better than we probably would.

Always been a decent tourney the few times I've caught it.

I hope it's not because of the destruction they rained on us in the Gold Cup. iirc, we barely took that seriously.

Good excuse to watch Univison for you.

Good excuse to watch Univison for you.

:lol: I'm past the point of needing an excuse, tbh. It'll end up on Telemundo or something shit, though.

I'm still angry the US aren't in it, I'd been looking forward to it.

:lol: Eh, good football is good football regardless of whether or not we show up.

Gold Cup should be this summer as well, right?

On a seperate note I wonder if it would do America and Mexico any good jumping ship to CONMEBOL like Australia have to AFC.

Mexico have already a little bit as their teams take part in the Copa Libertadores so thats increased competition for their players still playing in their national clubs.

:lol: Eh, good football is good football regardless of whether or not we show up.

January 7–29 — 2011 AFC Asian Cup in Qatar

June 11-June 25 - 2011 Euro u21's

June 18–July 10 — 2011 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Mexico

June 26–July 17 — 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup in Germany

June 14–July 3 — 2011 Copa America in Argentina

July 29–August 20 — 2011 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Colombia

I'm a US sympathiser in tourneys Norway are not in.

Now they're not there I'm backing Peru, though. I've got their shirt.

US would never jump out of CONCACAF, we're pretty much guaranteed trips to the World Cup because of our conference.

:lol: To be fair, 30 years from now when we finally saw another World Cup, we'd be really fucking good.

On a side note Argentina are playing Brazil on Wednesday in La Plata. Should be worth a watch. Brazil dicked them 3-1 last time they went to Argentina.

There is also an alreet podcast on South American footy avail via the independent. (http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/free-download-the-south-american-football-show-2067783.html)

:lol: Hell with that! Wiki says those Mexican teams get invited. Some ridiculous goals in that tournament....like.

It's all for the $$$. Mexico is a big market for sponsorship and I'm guessing a lot of the brands in South America are prevelant in Mexico too and so they're invited

On a side note Argentina are playing Brazil on Wednesday in La Plata. Should be worth a watch. Brazil dicked them 3-1 last time they went to Argentina.

There is also an alreet podcast on South American footy avail via the independent. (http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/free-download-the-south-american-football-show-2067783.html)

With Ronaldinho back in the team.