Copa América

Disco

:nods: I can understand that.

It would be wild to see England in something like this. I wonder how well you would do if you cared about it.

We'd get fucking panned tbh. The players wouldn't know what hit them if they turned up in Argentina.

---

Probably going to be $$$ i'd imagine again QBG.

How the f*** can Japan be a guest in a south american football tournament? :lol: I know they invite different teams all the time, but it just doesn't look right at all.

Isn't there a decent Brazilian/South American population in Japan?

Plus like Disco said, money money money. Japan watching hoping they do well, the rest of Asia watching hoping they get fucked up.

How the f*** can Japan be a guest in a south american football tournament? :lol: I know they invite different teams all the time, but it just doesn't look right at all.

Isn't there a decent Brazilian/South American population in Japan?

Plus like Disco said, money money money. Japan watching hoping they do well, the rest of Asia watching hoping they get fucked up.

No idea but there is a lorry load of Japanese in Sao Paulo. Sao Paulo's only redeeming feature IMO that you can get cheap Japanese bait.

• 4 months later...

Why would they participate in the first place?

wiki says:

Since 1993, two teams from other confederations, usually from CONCACAF whose members are geographically and culturally close, are also invited. Nations receiving invitations are Costa Rica (1997, 2001, 2004), Honduras (2001), Japan (1999), Mexico (1993, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2007), and the United States (1993, 1995, 2007). The United States had been invited every time from 1997 to 2007 but frequently turned down the invitation due to scheduling conflicts with Major League Soccer. However, on October 30, 2006, the US Soccer Federation accepted the invitation for participation in the 2007 tournament, ending a 12 year absence. At 2001 Copa América, Canada was an invitee, but on July 6, 2001 withdrew because of security concerns.

+ money.

Guest palnese

Why would they participate in the first place?

wiki says:

Since 1993, two teams from other confederations, usually from CONCACAF whose members are geographically and culturally close, are also invited. Nations receiving invitations are Costa Rica (1997, 2001, 2004), Honduras (2001), Japan (1999), Mexico (1993, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2007), and the United States (1993, 1995, 2007). The United States had been invited every time from 1997 to 2007 but frequently turned down the invitation due to scheduling conflicts with Major League Soccer. However, on October 30, 2006, the US Soccer Federation accepted the invitation for participation in the 2007 tournament, ending a 12 year absence. At 2001 Copa América, Canada was an invitee, but on July 6, 2001 withdrew because of security concerns.

+ money.

Ah, didn't know that :thup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Starts in July, every game is being shown on ESPN:

Group A: Argentina, Colombia, Costa Rica & Bolivia

Group B: Brazil, Paraguay, Ecuador & Venezuela

Group C: Uruguay, Chile, Mexico & Peru

Fixtures & times can be found @ http://www.live-footballontv.com/live-football-on-espn.html . Looks like it will be late nights for Sewelly & Disco.

Squads have to finalised by June 27. Some nations have already named there 22 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Copa_Am%C3%A9rica_squads . Colo & Jonas did not make the Argie provisional squad of 26. Mexico are going to send a young squad as there main focus in 2011 is winning the Gold cup.

Changed.

Realised I'm on holiday for most of the group stage, fucking gutted tbh.

Bit annoyed Colo didn't even get a sniff for the Argies. Better than Monzon and Parejo and at least on a par with Milito and Garay since he actually plays once in a while. Ditto its mad that Otamendi didn't get a call.

I find it absolutely disgraceful Colo didn't get a call tbh, especially looking at like you say some of the dross in that defence. Milito is held together with glue these days ffs, only in there because of the club he's contracted to.

Guest bimpy474

I find it absolutely disgraceful Colo didn't get a call tbh, especially looking at like you say some of the dross in that defence. Milito is held together with glue these days ffs, only in there because of the club he's contracted to.

Prefer he didn't get called up as a purely selfish view as a Newcastle fan, no injuries and a nice rest through the summer.