SAYLOR OR SOL? (PERHAPS BOTH...)

buzza

This is a nightmare.

Sol Campbell - who set the world alight at Notts County to earn a call by Arsenal where he covered for their injured first choice CB's. Featured in a 3-1 loss at Stoke in the FA cup  and then was part of a 2W-3L-2D run to end the season. All of this with international calibre players around him.

Oooohhhh - can't wait.

Sweet mother...

This is a nightmare.

Sol Campbell - who set the world alight at Notts County to earn a call by Arsenal where he covered for their injured first choice CB's. Featured in a 3-1 loss at Stoke in the FA cup  and then was part of a 2W-3L-2D run to end the season. All of this with international calibre players around him.

Oooohhhh - can't wait.

So he's good enough to deputise for Arsenal but not for us. Eh?

By all accounts he did very well at Arsenal so i've no doubt he'll be good enough for a newly promoted team

This is a nightmare.

Oooohhhh - can't wait.

By all accounts he did very well at Arsenal so i've no doubt he'll be good enough for a newly promoted team

By which accounts? Winning games - not according to reality. How about goals per game? Ooops wrong again - they leaked over 2 goals per game with him in the side as opposed to a shade over 1 per game before him.

Good enough for a promoted team. Good call - with the talent around him at Arsenal they had there worst patch of the season when he was in the side. So with the talent on display at Newcastle right now he will really thrive. Are you serious?

This is a nightmare.

Oooohhhh - can't wait.

By which accounts? Winning games - not according to reality. How about goals per game? Ooops wrong again - they leaked over 2 goals per game with him in the side as opposed to a shade over 1 per game before him.

Good enough for a promoted team. Good call - with the talent around him at Arsenal they had there worst patch of the season when he was in the side. So with the talent on display at Newcastle right now he will really thrive. Are you serious?

Yes. I'm pretty sure it also coincided with a massive speight of injuries to key players didn't it - Fabregas, Walcott, V Persie, Bendtner, Song, Almunia, Djourou?

Wenger's quotes regarding Sol Campbell:

"I tried to keep Sol," reflected Wenger. "It was more a question of proposals but I wanted to keep him, personally. But he was free and he has chosen to go for a different challenge - I respect that.

"I respect Sol highly because last year when we had a difficult patch he was completely committed and he was our best player in some games. I will always respect him for the help he brought to us last year

Sol has looked good whenever he's played recently, Taylor isn't as bad as people make out... we're lucky to have such good cover in defence, most team's second and third choice CBs are worse.

Campbell and Saylor is a luxurious option, not so long ago we would have been looking at Ramage and Huntington.

I'm not sure where all the Taylor love is coming from. He's alright when he has an experienced partner next to him so it may be a blessing having Sol next to him for a couple of weeks however his overall game is still somewhat unconvincing. He doesn't seem to have progressed as hoped in the last couple of years and makes the same rash, reckless decisions that hinderd his game when he first broke into the fist team.

Don't get me wrong we could do a lot worse but if it came down to a choice between Sol/Williamson/Taylor to partner Colo I'd pick the former pair every day of the week.  Hopefully some time on the sidelines has seen the lad improve his temperament but the jury is still very much out on that.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

This is a nightmare.

Oooohhhh - can't wait.

I thought Sol did well for Arsenal last season?

And he's looked good in his appearances for us (Man City, Bolton).

This is a nightmare.

Oooohhhh - can't wait.

I thought Sol did well for Arsenal last season?

And he's looked good in his appearances for us (Man City, Bolton).

He did. Not sure why Canuck is being so critical. In two of the three PL losses at the end of the season he was paired with Silvestre and in front of average at best keepers. Not sure why you're singling out Campbell for the poor finish. By most accounts he was one of their better players.

I reckon Taylor gets a lot of stick because he came through the ranks and had a very promising start against Arsenal and so on, and people tipped him to become a top defender in the English game, but instead he was just ... OK. People felt disillusioned and turned on him because he was a young defender who made some mistakes, even though he was in an absolute shipwreck of a team working under many different managers. His fist pumping style and so on like he was running the show did him no favours. There are many defenders worse than him in the Premier League. Williamson has made errors and been punished and in a week it's forgotten. If Taylor had been on the end of a 5-1 hammering at Bolton Wanderers and earned himself a 3 match ban the knives would be out. But there's a better feeling by the fans towards this current team and people seem to assosciate Taylor with the old team that took us down, which is a bit unfair as he's a passionate and hard working player.

I don't think there's much in it between them and I actually think Taylor might be the better defender. The difference is Taylor has been here through times when we've had some shocking defences and been decimated with injuries, he's played alongside the Ramages, Huntingtons, Boumsongs and Craig Moores of this world, hell he's even played alongside Ronny Johnsen and Robbie Elliott! Not to mention a ton of different full backs alongside him from Hughes to Carr to Babayaro to Geremi, Duff, Beye, N'Zogbia, Solano etc! People assosciate him with those days under Souness, Roeder, Kinnear. He grew up in that mess of a team. While Williamson came here and was part of a steady back four for months on end, something Taylor has barely had here, and mostly in a lower division where we cantered to the finish line. Look at Taylor's performances in that team and he was good.

I think some people are not being fair when they judge both players.