Alan Pardew

JH

Would you drop Nolan then? He plays that role well. Barton's at his best when he's got more space, imo - more time to deliver. He's an excellent passer of the ball and a good crosser too.

Nolan hasn't created a single assist in any game this season, he's set up less than both of our wingers who were giving stick to.

Nolan isn't in the side to make assists though, he's there as a goal threat and a captain.

Barton - Nolan - Tiote - Jonas

Carroll - Someone (currently Ranger)

... it's got to be that imo. That's the system that works. As being discussed in another thread, if he were fit, i'd have Ben Arfa off Carroll as opposed to Ranger... but that's another topic.

honestly can't decide where i'd put ben arfa. too manmy positions where he'd be by far our best

Guest neesy111

I think Pardew has realised the actual problems in the squad from the comments I've heard.  Should remember Chris had no intentions to sign anyone which wasn't lambasted at the time, but as a club should have been.

Fact is away from our starting 11, our back-up from the bench is dreadful.

I think Pardew has realised the actual problems in the squad from the comments I've heard.  Should remember Chris had no intentions to sign anyone which wasn't lambasted at the time, but as a club should have been.

Fact is away from our starting 11, our back-up from the bench is dreadful.

and the clubs around have that much better to call on ?

I can't for the life of me work out what he's doing at this club.  I've just had a look through his managerial record again to see if I have missed anything, trying to find a straw to clutch to and other than his job at Reading and Southampton in the lower divisions, he's been s***.  His win percentage record at Southampton is his best at any club and it's worse than the record Hughton had while here. 

His best season in the top flight was 9th with West Ham and he followed that season up with the worst run of results that West Ham had in 70 years and they were in a relegation position when he left and only climbed out once he’d gone.  He went to Charlton who were in a relegation position when he arrived and they finished in the same position.

I haven't read the latest comments on this particular thread and I don't normally post on here (just read and use it as an up to date source of NUFC rumours and news - GREAT STUFF LADS and LASSES so keep it up).

I think today that performance and team selection would have came under Hughton. I think the first half was even, both teams never looked like threatening each other with the only difference being their wide men and that extra bit of creativity in the centre of the park (Modric). I thought we were let down massively by both Routledge and Jonas today. At times they were fed the balls in positions which they could have delivered better quality in the first half and failed miserably time and time again. Pardew cannot be blamed for this has this has been the case all season. After all these are not Pardew's players. And before you all shoot me down saying I am a WUM etc etc I must state that I didn't want Pardew in this job as much as the next person but when Hughton was appointed last term I didn't want him either but by giving him the benefit of the doubt I grew to love him. Putting pressure on our manager early on may force him to make rash decisions in January thus potentially wasting any money we have.

Now looking forward I think buying two quality wingers and a player of real creativity for the centre of midfield are needed. Forget about a centre forward. We could have Alan Shearer in his prime with AC up there but without the sufficient quality out wide to open up the field and cause concern for opposition defenses as soon as we regain possession then we are not going to create anything for our front men to finish. With those two type of players and someone to create and link things together we would be a strong strong team. Players who we should buy, I haven't got a clue..... thats up to Alan Pardew.

I can't for the life of me work out what he's doing at this club.  I've just had a look through his managerial record again to see if I have missed anything, trying to find a straw to clutch to and other than his job at Reading and Southampton in the lower divisions, he's been s***.  His win percentage record at Southampton is his best at any club and it's worse than the record Hughton had while here. 

His best season in the top flight was 9th with West Ham and he followed that season up with the worst run of results that West Ham had in 70 years and they were in a relegation position when he left and only climbed out once he’d gone.  He went to Charlton who were in a relegation position when he arrived and they finished in the same position.

What's his history in terms of discipline and so on? This just stinks of a Souness style appointment (i.e He wasn't hired for his win percentage)

I don't think there was any need for him to publicly make that comment about Enrique's Twitter.

He could have dealt with it internally.

Same with the Ranger stuff. I agree with 'Pards' seniment but he seems too keen to air things that like you say can stay within the realms of internal club politics

I don't think there was any need for him to publicly make that comment about Enrique's Twitter.

He could have dealt with it internally.

Same with the Ranger stuff. I agree with 'Pards' seniment but he seems too keen to air things that like you say can stay within the realms of internal club politics

It's something I loved about Hughton, he kept everything in-house and didn't give anything away to the media. Pardew is an idiot that gets into fights on the touchline, makes ridiculous comments and just doesn't command respect.

There's just no point to this appointment.

If we do get a good result, I hope Pardew gets some credit. I just fear though that every bad result will be "get the useless bastard out!" and every good result will be "it's Hughton's side!"

Even by Ashley's standards Pardew's appointment was a bizarre decision. But I'm not passing judgement on anything that's happened under him so far. Very good result against Liverpool (arguably not much to do with him)  and, although any loss is disapointing, the other two matches simply went to the form teams. Starting on Sunday we go into a decent sequence of matches that we should be looking to get something from. We'll get an idea of what AP is made of in the coming weeks.

If we do get a good result, I hope Pardew gets some credit. I just fear though that every bad result will be "get the useless bastard out!" and every good result will be "it's Hughton's side!"

Its formations, decisions during games and media comments that will sway my opinion either way.

Very disappointed with the approach to the Spurs and Man City games. He must go 2 up front vs Wigan

Guest sicko2ndbest

If we do get a good result, I hope Pardew gets some credit. I just fear though that every bad result will be "get the useless b****** out!" and every good result will be "it's Hughton's side!"

Its formations, decisions during games and media comments that will sway my opinion either way.

Very disappointed with the approach to the Spurs and Man City games. He must go 2 up front vs Wigan

Lovenkrands has been shit when started

Ranger hasnt started, and nothing apart from a couple of last minute runs exploiting his pace and fresh legs has made me think he warrants a start.

Best is at best average

I think its only fair he is judged when he has all of his strongest players availible to him as we just dont have the strength in depths particularly up front and at LB to plug the gaps

If we do get a good result, I hope Pardew gets some credit. I just fear though that every bad result will be "get the useless b****** out!" and every good result will be "it's Hughton's side!"

Lovenkrands has been shit when started

Ranger hasnt started, and nothing apart from a couple of last minute runs exploiting his pace and fresh legs has made me think he warrants a start.

Best is at best average

I think its only fair he is judged when he has all of his strongest players availible to him as we just dont have the strength in depths particularly up front and at LB to plug the gaps

Its all well and good saying our forwards bar AC are shite, but if you play 5 in the middle you need at least one of the 5 making the runs to play off the striker.

Especially against Spurs there was often a good 50 yards between Carroll and our nearest midfielder, and thats down to the managers instructions

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I'm pretty sure it will be 4-4-2 against Wigan

Lovenkrands has been s*** when started

Best is at best average

Like every manager he should be judged on every game.  If he plays a weakened team and wins he'll be judged on it in the same was as if he plays a strong team that loses he'll be judged on that.  You can't pick and choose which matches are the ones to form an opinion of him, that's the sort of stuff people used to defend Souness when he was here.

Guest sicko2ndbest

We aren't going to be spending loads of money though, and never were. Why then shouldn't he be judged on getting more out of this squad than Hughton would have?

For me we will make a couple of key signings in January which will be LB competition for Jose and a partner for Carroll

I think this will make a huge difference to our effectiveness and our ability to have a different avenue to explore when posing an attacking threat.

Hughton never got anything out of the likes of Perch and Smith and because of their obvious lack of quality i doubt Pardew will be able to either. In fact, goal apart, i think theres an arguement that that was 'Perchies' best  game in a black and white (ok Blue) shirt

I think as long as Pardew can get the same out of the Bartons, Carrolls, Nolans, Jose's, Tiotes of this world as Hughton did, and nothing so far has suggested he cant, he will finish the league in a relatively comfortable position

Guest sicko2ndbest

Lovenkrands has been s*** when started

Best is at best average

Its all well and good saying our forwards bar AC are s****, but if you play 5 in the middle you need at least one of the 5 making the runs to play off the striker.

Especially against Spurs there was often a good 50 yards between Carroll and our nearest midfielder, and thats down to the managers instructions

Barton would have been most peoples choice to play that position from the players he had at his disposal, but Joey isnt that Marauding CM in the Gerrard mode that he maybe once was in his early city days. Out of the others, Guthrie, Tiote and Smith who were availible he chose the right one to play there, as he wasnt comfortable plaing one of the other strikers with Carroll and to be honest i dont blame him

For me we will make a couple of key signings in January which will be LB competition for Jose and a partner for Carroll

I think this will make a huge difference to our effectiveness and our ability to have a different avenue to explore when posing an attacking threat.

Hughton never got anything out of the likes of Perch and Smith and because of their obvious lack of quality i doubt Pardew will be able to either. In fact, goal apart, i think theres an arguement that that was 'Perchies' best  game in a black and white (ok Blue) shirt

I think as long as Pardew can get the same out of the Bartons, Carrolls, Nolans, Jose's, Tiotes of this world as Hughton did, and nothing so far has suggested he cant, he will finish the league in a relatively comfortable position

Pardew couldn't get the best out of Teves and Mascherano, he's got no chance with Smith and Perch.

Pardew couldn't get the best out of Teves and Mascherano, he's got no chance with Smith and Perch.

Forget Smith and Perch, at the moment all Pardew needs to do is get the best out of Barton, Carroll and Williamson. That's all Hughton had to work with and we managed to play some half decent stuff with them in the team before. We've had blips before so there is no point in knee-jerking, but as has been mentioned before, I hope we aren't going to go through the process of Pardew learning about his players...stuff which most of us have been well aware of for a long time.